WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Legal Corner
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2016, 08:40 AM

Hails from England
Have an Agent already but would like to approach galleries

Hi everyone, hope someone can offer me some advice.

I have an agent who has sold some of my art. Although they move quite slowly, everything's going okay and I should be receiving payment for my art soon.
However, I was talking to my solicitor this morning (not art related as such, but I'm making a will), and she's a big fan of another artist and has bought an original. She asked to see my art, I showed her on my phone, and she recommended that I approach the gallery through which she bought this painting, as she felt that my style might suit them.
I'd love to do this, after all they can only say no - but, would it be wrong to do it without involving my agent? After all, they're supposed to be getting me work/selling my art. Would it be seen as going behind their back? What are the ramifications if the gallery says yes? Or should I simply ask the agent to approach the gallery for me?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2016, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Re: Have an Agent already but would like to approach galleries

I am assuming you have a written contract with your agent? What does it say about you pursuing your own venues?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2016, 06:15 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

You would probably have to pay two commissions.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-24-2016, 06:50 AM

Hails from England

Well I contacted the gallery, explaining the situation; they said that all contacts have to be made via my agent, so I guess that answers my questions. Thank you.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2017, 12:29 PM

Hails from England

Rather than start off a new thread, I will simply add to this one.

My agent is a fraud; it turns out he has been previously banned from being a company director and running any sort of agency. He has arranged work for many other people (mostly actors, as he used to run an acting agency - which is news to me) and then never paid them. I've been contacted by the Met police who are running a fraud investigation.

There's no known address for this man, though his family does have an address (they claim to be estranged from him). He owes a heck of a lot of money to the courts, apparently, so even if I sued him successfully I doubt I'd see any money out if it.

I've officially reported him for theft and fraud, and hope that he's arrested soon.

I only got to know all of this due to the help of an actor he's defrauded who has been contacting his other clients, and has been gathering evidence against him. I also have a paper trail, so have handed over everything I have to the police.

I feel sick, and very, very stupid, and I'm down twenty-one paintings. Where they are is anyone's guess, I just hope that they may be recovered in future. If there was anywhere to put up pictures of stolen goods in a "rogues gallery" type affair, then I'd do it as I have photos of everything I gave him.

So, just a warning to everyone out there to not do what I did and take anyone on trust. I'm now looking into my insurance to see if they can help (I have artists' insurance with the Artists Network in the UK).

Contracts are no good if someone simply ups and disappears from the face of the earth with your work.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2017, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

Wow, that's awful. One thing--if you have photos of your artwork, you can do regular searches on Google reverse image search to see if they turn up anywhere.

https://support.google.com/websearch.../1325808?hl=en
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2017, 01:45 PM

Hails from England

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. I do have photos of everything, sadly not hi-res but certainly clear enough.

I've just given the police a formal statement, hopefully they'll eventually be able to prosecute, when they can get their hands on him. I'm keeping a very close eye on art sites, but I don't hold out much hope of them being offered anywhere so publicly.