WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Classical Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2016, 10:00 PM

Li'l Classical Jewels

A few recent small classical pictures for you. All are oil on 2.5" x 3.5" panel, except for one on copper.

Just found this forum, nice to find others who appreciate the classical style.

Best regards,

~David
Attached Images

Last edited by Mr Majestyk : 11-09-2016 at 10:08 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2016, 08:22 AM
Scotland

Hails from Scotland
Re: Li'l Classical Jewels

Very nice - I especially like the second one. The classical style is something I'd like to have a try at sometime. Are they copies of classical works or painted from imagination? (Or do you have landscapes like that nearby?)

How do you set up for painting such small pictures? Flat on a table, or do you have an easel of some sort? And, are they done in layers or alla prima?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2016, 08:31 PM

Thanks, Nomad. . .I hope all is well in Scotland. Some of these are in the style of some of my favorite masters--the second one you like is a Claude Lorrain; another one is a Jan Both and an Asher Durand. The first painting, the one with architecture, was done by first tinting the panel with a very slight glaze of burnt sienna, what is called "imprimatura." Then I painted a detailed verdaccio (same concept as grisaille) using raw umber green shade (Winsor Newton brand) which is a transparent earth tone. No white paint or anything else, just that color. When dry, I added color using transparent colors in the dark areas, more opaque in the light areas. For some of the light areas I let the light warm area of the panel show through. I sometimes do quite a bit of glazing, if required.

The others were painted in the "indirect method." Both these methods were used by masters like Rubens and others. Here's a great illustration of these methods by Gamblin Paint's website: https://www.gamblincolors.com/indirect-painting/

For these miniatures I work flat on a table. I use a liner brush for fine details. Takes a little practice and a light touch but they are fun to do. I feel like they make larger paintings seem easier after working so tight.

I hope you are working on some beautiful Scotland landscapes!

Best regards,
David

Last edited by Mr Majestyk : 11-14-2016 at 08:36 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2017, 05:14 AM

Such a beautiful pictures!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2017, 11:14 PM
WC! Guide
Missouri, I'm still in Colorado in my heart

Hails from United States

They are lovely and very charming. Great detail for such tiny size.
I know this is not something to say, but I also love the frames, it makes them look if at all possible even more beguiling!

Dianna
WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art

C and C always welcome.
My DeviantArt Gallery http://dianna-art.deviantart.com/gallery/
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2017, 12:40 PM
Enthusiast
Jacksonville, Florida

Little gems of gold.