WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2016, 05:00 PM
Washington State

Hails from United States
Color Crrection in Photoshop / Lightroom

I work in large format colored pencil and watercolor. I set up my camera with some nice lights and took pictures of my art. But they are super grey. I know I need edit them in Photoshop or Lightroom so get rid of the dullness and bring back the bright vivid colors. I'm already enrolled in a photoshop class and will take a light room class, but I have someone asking for a digital portfolio now.

I'm not having much luck in finding tutorials or youtube videos that are specifically for editing art work for digital work or for printing. Can anyone point me to some tutorials? Or provide some info?

Thanks!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2016, 03:50 PM

Hails from United States
Re: Color Crrection in Photoshop / Lightroom

Hi Violet,

I may not be fully understanding your problem, but below are several links on how to enhance colors in digital photos.

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/p...enhance-color/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV1jXDtONzM

http://www.tutorialgeek.net/2010/12/...ur-photos.html

http://planetphotoshop.com/boosting-...ic-colors.html

This is an online tool to enhance your photos:
http://enhance.pho.to/

If you go to youtube.com and enter 'enhancing photo colors' you will get quite a few tutorials on that subject.

In addition to enhancing the photos, you may also want to try different camera adjustments to bring out the colors. Take a look at this link for some additional info:

https://feltmagnet.com/photography/H...digital-camera

Best Wishes!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2016, 12:57 PM
Washington State

Hails from United States

Thank you very much for the information!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2016, 11:40 PM
USA

Hails from United States

Checking for proper exposure is a good way to start.
Do you have any sample photos that you can post?
What kind of camera? What kind of lights?
Use of a reference (e.g. color chart) can help you establish your copy-photo process. You can paint your own reference chart by making squares of a scale from white-gray-black as well as color patches.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2016, 11:43 PM
Lincoln, Nebraska

Hails from United States

In camera meters look at the subject and base the exposure on the premise that the scene is 18-percent gray. This usually works fine for a photo of a face, or an outdoor scene that has dark areas and light areas. If you take a photo of a white piece of paper, even one with some art on it the camera will try and make the final file 18-percent gray. This is why your photo looks dull, it's under exposed. It sounds like you have photoshop. you can open the photo in photoshop and go to the image tab, go down to adjustments then to Levels. A Histogram will open up. It's a representation of the pixels in the image, the left end represents black, and the right end represents white. There are three triangles, one at each end and one in the middle. Moving the triangle on the left toward the middle will make the blacks darker, moving the one on the right toward the middle will "clip" the white, and make the whites whiter, moving the one in the middle adjusts the mid-tone brightness of the image. You will see the change on your screen, but unless your screen is calibrated that is not a definitive measure to go by. Give this a try.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2017, 08:40 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

Don't drive yourself nuts trying to take the "perfect photo". It generally doesn't happen.

Open the camera image in Photoshop, and go into "Layers". Under "Layers", select, "Adjustment Layer", and locate either "Levels", or "Curves". (Using "Layers" allows you to perform color curve changes totally separate from your image, and thus, not committing your image to the correction, until you wish it to be.) When you want to commit to it, you hit "flatten Image".

"Levels" is a bit "easier" to use, but "Curves" offers much more control by the user.

Experiment around with either Curves, or Levels, and you will probably be able to bring your image into the color you want it to be, with just a few tweaks.

Once you have decided upon what the curve adjustment can accomplish, you can then create yet another layer, by selecting "Layer"......"Adjustment Layer"......"Selective Color". This allows you to adjust each of the 6 colors (CMY, RGB) independently, using RGB controls.

Between these two, or three "tools", you can perform nearly any tweaking you may need to, in order to "normalize" your photo.

Any further questions, please feel welcome to PM me.

Last edited by WFMartin : 01-09-2017 at 09:05 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2017, 05:32 AM
CA

you can also try combinations of colors to make it more beautiful.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2017, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Denver, CO

Hails from United States

If you are concerned with color accuracy of your printed artwork you ABSOLUTELY have to calibrate your display. Otherwise, any corrections you make in Photoshop will not net the desired results when it comes time to print.

If you're not using a product like the ColorMunki Display to professionally calibrate your monitor then you're just rolling the dice when it comes time to print. Save yourself future headaches and get yourself a color calibration device, you won't regret it. You'll still need to use Photoshop to adjust your color but with the addition of the ColorMunki device you can rest assured that what you see on the monitor is going to be what you get when you go to print.

www.vincentcreative.net

Last edited by MaloCS : 04-20-2017 at 06:32 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2017, 04:00 PM
Amsterdam

Hails from Netherlands

90% of all color corrections are quite easy.
This is the curves menu of Photoshop. As mentioned before, as an adjustment layer is better. But this will do for now.

You see those 3 pipettes?
- The dark on the left lets you decide what spot is pitch black. Don't touch it for this.
- The middle grey one lets you decide what is the most neutral spot of your photo. So if you have some spot that you know was grey in your original, click the middle pipette on that spot to tell Photohop that this is 'neutral'. You may have to try a few time on the pixels around it. But usually it's bye bye blue or yellow haze.
- If that doesn't work try the right one. That is 'lightest spot'. So if you know a spot that should be white, hit it. It neutralises colour hazes also.

It doen't work every single time, but I usually get 9 out of 10.
Bewaren
Attached Images