WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink > Calligraphy
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2016, 06:25 PM

Italic Calligraphy Nib Flow Issues.

So for Inktober, I decided to brush up on my gothic calligraphy. Too bad not one of my italic nibs work properly. I think I might be forgetting something. I am a lefty and I would not like to try lefty nibs because they are harder to find.

Anywho, either my pen spits a giant blot of ink on the page or makes horrible streaks and makes me have to do multiple passes which ruin the letters.

My nib tip is flat against the page and I tried it at multiple angles with no difference. I have 4 of them in different sizes and they all do the same thing. I also tried cleaning them thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol and they get very clean but still don't work.

If it makes a difference, I tried regular notebook paper as well as Strathmore medium surface drawing paper and I use speedball C nibs and speedball black India ink. I dip the pen into the well instead of dropping ink into the top but I've seen other people do that and their ink flowed fine.

Thank you very much in advance for your help!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2016, 11:22 PM
Toronto

Hails from Canada
Re: Italic Calligraphy Nib Flow Issues.

The nibs might need a cleaning. Ink running off the nibs in blobs usually suggests oils on the nib that can't always be cleaned with alcohol. Try washing them with a bit of toothpaste, it works really well for removing oils.

India ink isn't the best for broad edged work. Some brands are better than others but it is a difficult ink to work with in general. Have you tried any other ink? Higgins Eternal is usually works very well. Winsor & Newton Matt Black Calligraphy ink is also a good option but is a bit more temperamental than Higgins.

Some fountain pen inks work well too. I have used Pelikan Brown and Quink Blue Black inks with good results.

October is over but I hope your work with Calligraphy continues. Do let us know how it goes.

- Salman

My Blog
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2017, 09:12 AM

Re: Italic Calligraphy Nib Flow Issues.

Try smooth bristol board. That might help.