WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Airbrush
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2016, 09:13 PM
Sellersville, PA

Paasche AB Turbo repair needed?

Hi folks,

Been a long time since I've logged in, but figured if there was anyone who could help, they'd be here. Just hooked up my AB Turbo again after a (decades) long hiatus. When I press the trigger down, I get a little blast of air coming up through the trigger. I remember it was a strange little beast, but don't remember that behavior. Do I need to track down some air valve parts, or is this normal? I figure I have to do a teardown anyways (walking arm adjustment isn't going back as far as it should when the trigger screw is let out) and that's a task I really only want to do once. It was a college graduation present, so I'd like to rescue it for sentimental reasons. Thanks for any help you can give!

VJ
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2016, 11:12 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Germany

Hails from Germany
Re: Paasche AB Turbo repair needed?

Maybe just need a tweak to adjust... check this blog
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2016, 11:48 PM
Sellersville, PA

Thanks for the link - perfect title for that entry! I ended up contacting Paasche and they still stock all parts for it. Looks like the valve washer needed replacing. Picked up some more needles and a needle bearing while I was at it since that's needed replacing for far too long. Of course I'm going to go through all the trouble of tuning it again, just to use my H&S for 90% of my work anyways. Thanks again!

VJ
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2016, 10:00 AM
Germany

Hails from Germany

The AB Turbo sounds awesome for detailing... I would really love to give it a try...
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2016, 11:00 PM
Sellersville, PA

To be honest, it was unsurpassed in its day but it's a little long in the tooth. I've tried using it for modeling in the past and had very mixed results. Between the media limitations and the constant tweaking required, it was just not a pleasant experience. Illustration/fine art is where it really shines. It lays down inks and dyes just beautifully. Of course, 99% of what I used to use it for I now do with a Wacom tablet.

The Turbo definitely is a neat piece of kit to try out if you get a chance, but would I personally buy one today? Doubtful. I'd probably put the money towards a Micron or H&S with the .15 kit instead. I can pull .5 mm lines all day long with my Infinity in just about any medium I want, with none of the tuning hassles that come with the Turbo. You don't get that turbo whine with those other brushes, though, and that is pretty cool. I don't mean to discourage you from getting one, but just know it for what it is - a magnificently built tool from another era that has VERY niche uses today. You spend so much time adjusting and getting to know it and shaping the needles just right that you do develop a connection with it that you just don't get with your other airbrushes. It's good to know that Paasche still sells all the parts for the Turbo, but who knows how long that will last? If you can pick one up cheaply, by all means get it; it is exquisite to use once it's all dialed in properly. It will also have you cursing more than any other artist's tool you've ever had.

Thanks again for the tip, and best of luck hunting one down!
VJ
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2016, 07:28 AM
Germany

Hails from Germany

Hehe, well I have already a H&S 0.15 for detailing, which I find very nice... I am not currently searching to expand a collection of AB that I don't use... I prefer just to use what I have ... but for sure if I find a good change to get one I'll take it. You can't discover the beauty of it unless you try it ...
The AB turbo calls my attention because of the sound reference. I have trained my ear for decades playing music, I believe I could use the sound to guide my paint amount easily and gain more control...
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2016, 11:58 PM
Sellersville, PA

Ah, that is a difference from other brushes. I'm a cellist myself, so I'm very attuned to the sound of the turbo. That said, I'm not sure you're going to use it to adjust the paint control as much as tell when it needs a little TLC. Yes, you can get more precision by slowing the needle down so the turbine will have a proportional change in pitch, but that sound shouldn't really change as you're pulling the trigger back to release the paint unless you've got something that's causing extra friction and slowing the turbine down. Still, if you want to get one, by all means do so! It is a very rewarding experience once you've got it tuned to work with you, and the fine spatter effects you can get are second to none. Happy hunting!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2016, 03:41 PM
Enthusiast

I own two Turbos and the newest one is from 1979...lol... Paasche no longer produces them and I just purchased the last parts the Paasche importer here in Australia had. I only use some inks, a special blend of my own airbrush acrylics with an added flow agent and a little retarder. Water colours work well. I'll find a picture I did some 35 years ago with it that was published. Extremely hard to tune, but once you get the hang of it..quit a unique tool. IMO it's only good for photo retouch (how I got started using one) and illustrations.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2016, 10:36 PM
Sellersville, PA

@airbrush_ken - thanks for the input! Been a long time lurker on this and another forum so I'm aware (and a little in awe) of your experience, so you weighing in is greatly appreciated! My turbo is of a slightly newer vintage than yours, but when my needle bearing finally wore out earlier this year, Paasche told me that they do still sell every single part for the AB even though it's discontinued. Stocked up on an extra couple of things that would be difficult/impossible to fabricate in case that situation changes. Not sure how shipping to your neck of the planet would work (slow and expensive if my experience with a cousin in Melbourne is any indication), but it may be an option in the future if you really need a new part that you weren't able to stock up on.

Mine has really only ever seen inks and watercolors, and the vast majority of the work I used to do with it has been replaced with my Wacom tablet. You say flow agent and retarder work to get it to blow acrylics? Might have to try that. I certainly have more of those lying around these days. Guess I'll play around with some ratios this weekend. Thanks again!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2016, 11:29 PM
Enthusiast

Here is the picture I spoke of. It was done with photo retouch watercolor paints; a set of 7 (ea) sepia colours. I can no longer find them. It was a loose mask (shields) and a hard mask (Frisk Film) on the coats. I did it as part of a study for a mural project being considered the Queen Victoria Building, Sydney. They paid us for all the paintings, but dropped the mural idea as the location couldn't be protected. I gave this piece as a gift to the Art Director of The Vietnam Veterans Museum in Chicago, who had help me in the past. It's CS-10 Board slightly larger than A-4 in size.

Last edited by airbrush_ken : 12-29-2016 at 11:32 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2016, 11:41 PM
Enthusiast

About using acrylic paints with different agents. It is a pretty complicated process to add agents to the paints. A little goes a long way and "TOO MUCH" can ruin a batch. I use eye droppers and plastic shot glass to mix my airbrush paints. I do have an advantage of manufacturing pigmented based acrylics for around 23 years, and having some helpful chemists there to lend a hand. IMO I would stick to watercolors. "Doc Martin" was my favorite followed by Winsor & Newton... IMO Avoid their Airbrush Acrylics! I threw away a set many years ago.