WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2016, 02:53 PM
Philadelphia, PA

Hails from United States
Need technical help to create ebook of artwork

Hi,

I am interested in creating an ebook out of a collection of portraits I did several years ago. The format would involve mostly the artwork, along with a general introduction, my biography, and short introductions to each of the portraits. I don't know what software to use, or how to upload it. Can someone familiar with the subject help? i also want to include something that will prevent people from downloading the artwork. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2016, 07:15 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Need technical help to create ebook of artwork

I believe Amazon has instructions for creating ebooks.

For a digitally printed book I used the free Scribus software to export a full pdf file of my book.

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2016, 12:42 PM
Philadelphia, PA

Hails from United States

Dear Yorkie,

Your reply is much appreciated. I am sorry to have taken several days to get back to this, but I wanted to think through the questions I need to ask. I really know next to nothing about what is involved. Do you create the file in Word and then save it as a PDF? If so, how do you handle the many illustrations? Do you just do "Insert" then "Picture"?

In the past, I have used photobook companies to produce 12" x 14" coffeetable books of my artwork so I can have to show people. Using Photoshop, I have created 12" x 14" jpgs that include the art, a couple of lines at the bottom with indentifying information, and such white border as needed to reach the 12" x 14" size. Using the company's software to assemble the book, I have uploaded to each page the appropriate file, which has taken up all of the space. Can I just do that with Word, although it's understood the size would be a bit different?

Is there anything else I need to know?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2016, 12:56 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

I have use photobox, vistaprint and similar on line printers in the past. The problem is you have to use their software and it is limiting. The books are very expensive for multipage books.

A tip from David de Armond (manfrommerriam) got me investigating digital printers and pdf creation software. I found I could print 20 copies of my 60 page book containing 54 pictures at a total cost of £160/$200 or so - £8/$10 a copy.

The only snag was I had to produce a complete pdf file of the book and send it to them. I used an SD card to send the large file and I get the books back with a few days.

See my thread on creating a photobook for details. I used the free scribus software which was fairly intuitive, having gathered together the required picture files in jpg format and the text in word format (also using a free program Libre Office). There are lots of demos and tutorials on youtube about scribus.

Doug
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2016, 09:36 AM
Philadelphia, PA

Hails from United States

What can you install into the jpgs to keep people from downloading the artwork?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2016, 10:02 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

The only way is to restrict the size to something that would not be good enough quality when printed. If you use say 600 pixels wide it will be reasonable on screen but poor quality if printed.

Doug