WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2016, 06:27 PM

Help please!!!

Hi there,

I am recently new to printmaking and although I have successfully managed mono block printing I am experiencing a problem with multi layer printing. I have printed my first layer and attempted to do a second one today but the ink is printing all funny in a 'speckled' way with a base colour coming through. Any thoughts people? I am printing by hand and the base colour has come out beautifully but the prints are looking awful. Weeping here ...many thanks in advance A
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2016, 08:02 AM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: Help please!!!

sorry to hear about your printing troubles.
What kind of ink are you using? oil? water-based? brand?
also kind of paper and from what type of surface is this originating? Are you printing using hand rubbing, roller or using a press?
if you are able to attach a photo that might help too

thanks

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2016, 01:44 PM

Hi there,

thank you so much for taking time to answer my question. I am using water based ink that is fairly cheap one (SCOLA) as am a novice and did not want to be 'all gear and no idea' type of a person :-) I have experimented with number of different papers and have found that smooth heavyweight acid free paper of 220g gives me a really nice finish. It's a bit thicker but not as thick as watercolour paper and has slightly vintage white colour to it that I prefer. I am not wetting it. Have previously done black on colour with reasonable success but this is not working. Maybe because I mixed a second colour myself??? Many many thanks. I tried uploading picture but it will not go through upload photo bit so have uploaded it as a file separately - hopefully it comes through.
Attached Images

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2016, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

You need to change the consistency / tack of your ink so that it pulls away from the block without making those marks.

Some reading from Google:

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...utf-8&oe=utf-8
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2016, 03:59 PM

Hi there,

thank you so, so much. All I am doing is mixing two inks together to create a different colour. I was lead to believe that as long as two inks are of the same make you can mix them and it should be fine. I feel like I can't see the woods for the trees ....

Again thanks
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2016, 09:27 AM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Don might have a point about the tack factor of the 2nd colour (the darker brown).
It is hard to tell from the photo where the problem might be originating. If it is the layering of the colour or texture on the paper?, but my suspicions are it could be from the block surface of the second colour and most likely revolving around the ink itself rolled onto the block. I experienced a similar problem a while back and it turned out the binder and pigment in the ink had separated and was producing that same uneven pocked coverage. I am not familiar with the ink brand you are using, but a lot of water-based inks use a binding agent (maybe gum arabic) and pigment. You could add just a drop or two of water to the ink (mix it up first of course) and see it this helps? I got a bit frustrated with water-based so moved over to water-soluble vegetable oil-based inks. Anyways hopefully the advice for the ink will remedy this problem for you. Good luck.

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart

Last edited by bridog : 10-24-2016 at 09:29 AM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-25-2016, 05:12 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

I am assuming that the ink went onto the plate smoothly and the uneven pattern appeared as you pulled the paper from the plate. Is that the case?

If it is then you probably need to do something to your ink so it isn't so sticky and "stringy. Sorry I don't know what to suggest other than what Bridog mentioned as I too, no longer use water based inks.

My suggestion is get some different ink and save yourself a lot of grief. If you want water based clean up the Akua inks are very nice to work with. They offer all kinds of modifiers for their inks.

Last edited by Moqui Steps : 10-25-2016 at 05:14 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2016, 11:13 AM

Hi there,

a wee update. As advised above - have added fe drops of water to my ink and it gave a much better smoother and even finish (as you can see below). However having red extensively over last few days about inks etc I think I will be switching to oil based ones. Thank you so much for your time and al your replies - they have all been very useful.

Alina
Attached Images

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2016, 02:11 PM

How long are you waiting between each color? I had similar results when trying to print while the previous color was still fresh
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2016, 04:56 PM

I love the dog it's a great design. Is it a Scotty dog?
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2017, 06:33 AM

HI there,
yes it's a Scotty dog. I am based in Scotland and have weakness for all things Scottish :-).