WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2016, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Alabama

wooden panels

i have seen on here where some are painting on wooden panels, wondering what kind of wood and why use wood instead of canvas panels ?

ronnie
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2016, 12:35 AM
Veteran Member
Hollywood, CA

Hails from United States
Re: wooden panels

Sometimes canvas can come loose.
Go to Marc Hanson's thread which shows how he makes his own panels. I found it very useful. Here's the link...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300797

“The only way the artist can appeal to humanity is in the guise of the high priest. He must show people more-more than they already see-and he must show them with so much human sympathy and understanding that they will recognize it as if they themselves had seen the beauty and the glory.” ~ Charles Hawthorn
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2016, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Most people use one or all of the following as far as boards go.

"Masonite" aka Hardboard or MDF - buy it precut and ready to paint on, precut and raw, or in large sheets to cut and prep yourself.

Aluminum composite panes aka Dibond or other trade names, also available ready to paint on or in large sheets to cut and prep yourself.

Baltic birch plywood - same as above, ready to use or make your own.

You can prep them as described in the link by Fr. Tom above or several other ways. If you like painting on a canvas surface rather than smooth wood, you can buy panels with canvas on them already or adhere canvas to any of the above panels and end up with a much more durable board than the pre-made canvas panels with cardboard backers.

If you want to really lighten the load, you can paint on oil painting paper or something like the Guerilla resin-sized card stock that is only 1/32 of an inch thick. Bring one piece of hardboard or other rigid panel to support the taped down paper or resin-sized cards on your easel while painting and slip them into a panel carrier once they have been painted on. You can fit 48 of the Guerilla resin-sized cards in the space that would be taken up by only 10 sheets of the thinner 0.15 inch thick (often called 1/8") "Masonite" that is being sold at Lowe's and Home Depot.

Last edited by Moqui Steps : 09-14-2016 at 12:00 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2016, 10:18 PM
Japan

Hails from Japan

With the wooden panels I can cut them to the sizes I want. I use a 3 layered wooden ply material but it can be a bit grainy so I always check for smoothness. The way I use acrylics they tend to dry flat and loose body so any grain or other surface irregularity can be seen.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2016, 12:03 PM
Enthusiast
Reedsburg, WI

Hails from United States

I have been painting on Masonite panels, with three coats of Zinsser cover stain. I sand the surface. I think it's nice, and making my own will probably save me a couple hundred bucks over a years time.

I painted on stretched canvas for years, and wanted to try something new, so I got a gallon of the oil prime last year. The oil primed panels are not as absorbent as canvas, which can work in your favor or against you depending on what you are trying to do. In general, I like the panels that I make more than stretched canvas. Again the paint sinks less with the oil prime.

When I used to give workshops, students would show up with canvas panels. I would have them use some liquitex gesso for a coat onto their gesso. Those canvas panels are too rough (for me) without a extra hit of gesso.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2016, 09:48 PM

I make a distinction between Masonite and MDF.
My art-installer friend maintains that Masonite is superior, with more strength and fewer off-gassing contaminants.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Campbell
I make a distinction between Masonite and MDF.
My art-installer friend maintains that Masonite is superior, with more strength and fewer off-gassing contaminants.
There are actually 2 kinds of Masonite: tempered and untempered. You will want the tempered kind. Be aware that some Masonite panels cannot be glued to other surfaces, but unlikely you'd want to do that anyway, as Masonite is stiff by itself.
Some gesso for DIY folks, and if you like tooth, use a bristle brush and go one coat vertical, the other horizontal. YOu can cut to size, which is an advantage over the commercial varieties of gessoed Masonite.
I regularly use the commercial ones lately, but for large or unusual sizes, I DIY. It's not at all expensive either way.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2016, 09:57 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Sedona, AZ & Campobello Island, Canada

Sometimes I'll paint on paper first and then mount a finished piece to hardboard: http://mchesleyjohnson.blogspot.com/...-paper-or.html
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2016, 12:59 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

I'm with Michael on this: I'll either mount arches oil paper, Canva Paper, or a sheet of canvas to a board. I like to cradle the board with wood strips.
Archival conservators are really pushing the "mount on a rigid surface" presentation.
Stretched canvas moves and this causes many problems down the road.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2016, 01:47 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

There is a Jack Richerson "Hard Board". It's 3mm thick and performs as well as a 6mm thick craft plywood and better than 6mm masonite. I'm using them for plein-air watercolors with two coats of a matt acrylic medium and two coats of either Daniel Smith or QOR watercolor ground on only one side. No buckling or warping.

Comments? Dave
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2016, 05:11 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Dave: I don't know.....I can get a full two foot by 4 foot panel of hardboard at the depot for $4.99....can't beat that.
Been cutting, cradling and using them for years.
I checked the Richeson prices.
Golden has a nice "absorbent ground" for gessoed surfaces.

Jerry: the MDF is also heavier.

Last edited by Dcam : 12-27-2016 at 05:13 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2016, 10:39 AM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

There are always the "nice" convenience of panels you can buy...linen, gatorboard, aluminum, all sorts of linens, etc; and if you are will to put out the money some company will adhere, glue, finish and present you a nice product.

I have purchased my share of those...(Raymar, Centurion, Richesons, etc) but have mostly been a DIY'er ...

Hardboard, sealing it with polyurethane wood sealer..sanding slightly, coating a couple coats of gesso...good to go, make your own sizes and as has been said, cheap.

Years ago, we had a discussion with Marc leading...and he gave us a "pumice" recipe which I have used quite a bit. Adding grit and absorption to the panel. Such can be a killer on fine brushes...but, you get basically the same absorption and feel without the harsh grit by sanding after applying. Smooth to the hand it still works well...

I have been playing the past couple months, Thunderbolt 80# cardstock paper, bought from Amazon. Those that know me...from instructing and what not, know I've been quite prolific. With the Thunderbolt, I spray coat it twice with Zinsser Bulls Eye Shellac available at many hardware stores, Walmart...taping it off with blue trim tape.

That paper absorbs a bit like a pumice panel...nice feel, and using Gamblin's nonsolvent gel will dry to touch (oils) in about 4 days. I then trim about an inch around, and store in a lidded bin separating one painting from another with wax paper...

This may prove useful, though "wood" is what is being talked about here...

I glue a lot of linen purchased by the roll, to sealed hardboard...trimmed on edges before framing. Also...what is nice about board, I will tape linens to one board (say traveling to teach workshops) one on top another. Paint...remove, later I can glue those to board if I have cause or leave stored. Main idea is you have options to always glue...
Attached Images

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2016, 10:57 AM

I suggest being cautious about MDF, because it is a product loaded with outgassing chemical binders and seriously NOT archival! It's also heavy as all get out and you can't get it in thin panels anyway. Simply not a good surface, IME.

Masonite is artificial, but the tempered kind seems far better sealed in that regard and appears to be archival. It comes in thin varieties and is not overly heavy, but you could hang it in even a large 2'x4' panel size without needing any additional framing.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2016, 12:11 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

tempered is good...but I sand it, and seal again if gluing linen to it is to be done...

I prefer birch...but it seems that getting hold of good birch wood that isn't warped is not always easy. I check the supplies every so often to see if an ideal batch has come in. If so, I snap some up...but, lately there has been a laminate type wood that has come it. Stronger than birch, lighter than MDF, recommended by the provider. Doesn't warp. The name of it escapes me for the moment...but if you ask about the laminate, it is often used for flooring before tiles, etc;
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2016, 04:40 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Larry: good stuff. Just a word on the zinnser shellac:
They make a sealcoat wax free shellac as well.
Good for the acrylic painters. My plein air buddy likes the natural color of the hardboard with a couple of coats of the wax free on it.
The regular shellac can resist the acrylic.
We have too much fun.