WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Teacher's Toolbox
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2016, 02:24 PM

Readings for Drawing Students?

Hi all,

I teach a lot of beginning drawing courses at the college level, and am always looking for ways to expand the students' thinking beyond just learning measuring techniques and try to also help them to start understanding contemporary painting of the past 100 years.

In that vein, I'm looking for reading assignments that will complement the classical drawing lessons we'll also be doing.

Some good ones I'm considering for the beginners are:
The Philosophy of Andy Warhol (From A to B and Back Again), the chapter entitled "Art," which is meandering and strange, not quite graspable, and possibly frustrating but easy to read and entertaining.

Jackson Pollock interviewed by William Wright (found in Art in Theory 1900-2000, p. 583), which gives a good explanation to laypeople about "why" abstract expressionism now (in the 1950's),

...I'm looking for stuff that will contextualize contemporary art in some capacity, and get them to think about representation.

It's my philosophy that learning to draw is learning to see with precision, so anything I can do to get them to start putting effort into looking is good.

I'm also considering having them watch John Berger's Ways of Seeing during the 2nd week of the class.

Anything that you can recommend, or think is really good?

--TB
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2016, 01:00 AM

Re: Readings for Drawing Students?

Readings?!? What r readings? muh jstudjednets jerst drawn ferm de plashterkasht...
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2017, 05:42 AM
NYC/Egypt

Hails from Egypt

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebeliever
Hi all,

I teach a lot of beginning drawing courses at the college level, and am always looking for ways to expand the students' thinking beyond just learning measuring techniques and try to also help them to start understanding contemporary painting of the past 100 years.

In that vein, I'm looking for reading assignments that will complement the classical drawing lessons we'll also be doing.

Some good ones I'm considering for the beginners are:
The Philosophy of Andy Warhol (From A to B and Back Again), the chapter entitled "Art," which is meandering and strange, not quite graspable, and possibly frustrating but easy to read and entertaining.

Jackson Pollock interviewed by William Wright (found in Art in Theory 1900-2000, p. 583), which gives a good explanation to laypeople about "why" abstract expressionism now (in the 1950's),

...I'm looking for stuff that will contextualize contemporary art in some capacity, and get them to think about representation.

It's my philosophy that learning to draw is learning to see with precision, so anything I can do to get them to start putting effort into looking is good.

I'm also considering having them watch John Berger's Ways of Seeing during the 2nd week of the class.

Anything that you can recommend, or think is really good?

--TB

Here is a list of art related material I like returning to:

Art & Fear by David Bayles and Tod Orland
Concerning the Spiritual in Art by Wassily Kandinsky
The Painted Word by Tom Wolfe

Along with Jon Berger's Way of Seeing, try Robert Hughes The Shock of the New and Terry Zwigoff's CRUMB. I also like listening to Dave Hickey's lectures about art.

Though I may not agree with these sources 100%, I do find that there is an overwhelming amount of jewels in them that benefit artists. Definitely has benefitted me as an artist.

One thing I always show my students is the following monologue from Art School Confidential, which contains just as much quotables:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruEaANXuFbc
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2017, 09:34 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
The Land of Enchantment

Hails from United States

I recently did a long paper on art and the brain. I have taken out a few sources from my bibliography which might work for you. Mainly they regard how physically creating art creates a neural network different from that created by math, and the other subjects. The books by (Art Historian) Gardner are particularly good.

Bolwerk, A., Mack-Andrick, J., Lang, F. R., Dörfler, A., & Maihöfner, C. (2014). How Art Changes Your Brain: Differential Effects of Visual Art Production and Cognitive Art Evaluation on Functional Brain Connectivity. PLoS ONE, 9(7). doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0101035

Dewey, J. (2005). Art as experience. New York: Berkley Pub. Group.

Lewis-Williams, J. D. (2002). The mind in the cave: consciousness and the origins of art. London: Thames & Hudson.

Hogenboom, M., (17 April 2014) Artists have structurally different brains. BBC Radio Science Retrieved February 3, 2017, from http:/www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-26925271

Gardner, H. (1994). The arts and human development: a psychological study of the artistic process. New York: BasicBooks.

Gardner, H. (1982). Art, mind, and brain: a cognitive approach to creativity. New York: Basic Books.

Gombrich, E. H. (2002). Art and illusion: a study in the psychology of pictorial representation. London: Phaidon.

O’Toole, S. (2014). How art changes your brain http://www.culturecase.org

Rostan, S. M. (2010). Studio Learning: Motivation, Competence, and the Development of Young Art Students' Talent and Creativity. Creativity Research Journal, 22(3), 261-271. doi:10.1080/10400419.2010.503533

Sissa Medialab. (2013, August 9). Shape and meaning: Study explores how the brain encodes visual objects. ScienceDaily. Retrieved July 8, 2017 from http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0809083930.htm

Zeki, S. (1998). Art and the Brain. Daedalus, 127(2), 71-103. Retrieved 4/14/17 from http://www.jstor.org/stable/20027491

Zaidel,D.W., (2010). Art and brain: insights from neuropsychology, biology and evolution. Journal of Anatomy, 216(2), 177–183. Retrieved 4/14/17 from http://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7580.2009.01099.x
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2018, 01:05 AM
Mayville, Michigan

Hails from United States

Why not "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2018, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

There is a wonderful BBC series called "What Artists do All Day". With respects to drawing, I was especially intrigued by the episodes on:

Frank Quitely, and the one on John Byrne

The links between the working processes of these most contemporary of artists and traditional drawing is very interesting. The linkages aren't overtly made in the episodes at all, but fleeting little tidbits are there.

Then of course, there's the whole graphic art in comics and graphic novels and the overall foundation in classical drawing methods ~ and one may argue the ultimate "less is more" approach to drawing.

Another interesting series, is the four episode "Secrets of Drawing", with Andrew Graham Dixon. I'm not really into his other series, but there's such interesting stuff about drawing in the episodes I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Anyone may search for these titles online, and see what's there.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2018, 09:04 AM
Mumbai, India

Hails from India

I have read these books and have helped me in developing a deeper sense of perspective.
1.)Perspective made easy by- Ernest R Norling
2.)Art of Perspective - By Phil Metzger
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtsyFellow
Why not "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards?

While a useful book, you'd need to have a huge disclaimer that the whole "right brain/left brain" paradigm is a useful metaphor but isn't really proven through science. That's been pretty extensively disproven at this point.

My blog: http://ejsherman.blogspot.com/
Instagram: edward_sherman
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2018, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by KolinskyRed
There is a wonderful BBC series called "What Artists do All Day". With respects to drawing, I was especially intrigued by the episodes on:

Frank Quitely, and the one on John Byrne

The links between the working processes of these most contemporary of artists and traditional drawing is very interesting. The linkages aren't overtly made in the episodes at all, but fleeting little tidbits are there.

Then of course, there's the whole graphic art in comics and graphic novels and the overall foundation in classical drawing methods ~ and one may argue the ultimate "less is more" approach to drawing.

Another interesting series, is the four episode "Secrets of Drawing", with Andrew Graham Dixon. I'm not really into his other series, but there's such interesting stuff about drawing in the episodes I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Anyone may search for these titles online, and see what's there.

Forgot to share that all of these I have found on Youtube.....

Totally agree, Ed, with regards to right/left brain... contemporary neuroscience says "nope". But, having said that, if it works for someone, then great, and if it doesn't work for someone, they shouldn't worry ... just keep drawing and also seeking that inspiration! Should say, did not work for me at all, not one little bit.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KolinskyRed
Totally agree, Ed, with regards to right/left brain... contemporary neuroscience says "nope". But, having said that, if it works for someone, then great, and if it doesn't work for someone, they shouldn't worry ... just keep drawing and also seeking that inspiration! Should say, did not work for me at all, not one little bit.

Yeah, I don't mind it as a metaphor but just don't act like it's Science That Everybody Believes In.

My blog: http://ejsherman.blogspot.com/
Instagram: edward_sherman
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2018, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Ed
Yeah, I don't mind it as a metaphor but just don't act like it's Science That Everybody Believes In.
Well put!

Last edited by KolinskyRed : 03-14-2018 at 11:49 AM.