WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Palette Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2016, 11:59 AM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States
Perfect Sketchbook

Several years ago a crowd funding project was created for a watercolorist's pocket size sketchbook. Hardbound with a couple nice add-ons; similar in appearance to Moleskine sketchbooks. Reported to be 100 rag watercolor paper, 60 pages. Expected delivery date of 12/2014.

Anyone heard of it? Bought it? Used it? Know where to buy it without "pre-ordering" or if it ever got off the ground? Net searches bring up only hits for the funding page and a few that describe it, but no pricing or where to buy.

R/Mike
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2016, 02:14 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Perfect Sketchbook

I would do a search of Parka Blogs Mike.

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2016, 02:27 PM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States

Interesting blog. Found two entries for the sketchbook on it. Neither addressed retailers. One comment stated the books were available only to kickstarter supporters.

Thanks, Doug.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2016, 07:44 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

I have read about this sketchbook, at Teoh's blog ( parka) and other places, but now that you mentioned it, I realise that indeed, this sketchbook never got on the market, something that makes questionable the motives of those who asked to be funded for its production.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2016, 07:19 AM

Hails from European Union

As I remember correctly, it was a Kickstarter project which ended successfully.
That doesn't mean that the sketchbook will be going to mass production.
There was a second funding project on indiegogo, but this also has ended with delivery of the books in April 2016.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2016, 01:56 PM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States

Some follow-up research revealed that there was only one production run and that the sketch books did, in fact, go only to Kickstarter participants. What the people got was based on their donation. I think the minimum donation to receive a sketch book was $25.00 and package deals with a variety of "valuable" products ran up $3000.00 US.

The campaign was, apparently, a success - the sketchbooks were made and shipped in December, 2014. "881 backers pledged $53,850 to help bring this project to life." This was a limited edition run and not meant to be a continuing production piece. If you didn't buy one then you can't buy one now.

A second campaign was run for a B5 size sketchbook and that, too, seems to be sold out.

Poke around here, check out the links for more information: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1405121

Also search Youtube for "Perfect Sketchbook" for a number of videos describing the campaings, the book, and even one that shows what went in to making them - all by hand.

I'm not crazy about pre-ordering anything, but if another Perfect Sketchbook by Erwin Lian of Singapore ever shows up I think I might.

R/Mike
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2016, 08:03 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

From what I read when the project started at Kickstarter, what Teoh wrote in his blog and said on some videos and generally from the publicity that was given to the whole matter, I had the impression that this guy asked to be funded in order to start a sketchbook's production business.
Otherwise I can't see why he would set such a high amount of money as a target. Some of the funders after all paid considerably more money than the 25-30 dollars ( euros/pounds whatever) than each finished sketchbook was supposed to cost ( as this guy said on Kickstarter).

The campaign raised 53.850 dollars from 881 backers and these got one sketchbook each that ended up costing them 60.8 dollars amount that it was not equally shared though .

And the guy raised another 20.000 dollars from Indigogo too while he says that the 60-70 dollars per sketchbook were only the manufacturing cost.. I really would like to know how this came out.. I mean to see the logistics beside this because my logistics don't come not even close to his.

For your information professional book binders here in Athens charge about 10 euros to professionally hard bind whatever book you like on whatever size you like, under the term that you are going to provide them the paper of your choice.

A B5 landscape sketchbook of about 3-4 signatures needs two full size watercolour papers sheets to be made. B5 landscape is the optimal size because this is how the 56x76 cm sheets can be folded without going against the grains of the paper or wasting the paper.
Two sheets now of Saunders Waterford 300 gsm that give two signatures each, cost here about 4.5-5 euros each sheet ( this is the local retailing price) but if someone imports them as a merchant get's a bulk price, which is about 40% lower than the retailing price and sometime less depending on the various offers.

So do the counting by adding whatever extras you like to see that unless you bind the sketchbooks with leather covers and Swarovski crystals there is not way to exceed a cost of about 30 dollars euros ( whatever) for each , always talking for a small ( 1000 pieces) production( that is not 100% hand made because professional book binders have the proper machines for sewing books. Nobody sews by hand 1000 pieces because if he did he would still be sewing..).

Any way and in other words, this project got about 70.000 dollars that according to the this guy's sayings were not enough to start a business but were only just enough to make let's say 1000 sketchbooks that gave to his backers.
It seems to me that these 1000 backers paid really hard for these supposedly perfect sketchbooks not to mention that the whole project looks like a case study on how to get a very serious amount of money from nowhere for doing practically nothing at all.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2016, 08:21 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

I participated in the second Kickstarter and received my sketchbook a few months back. The book is well made and the paper inside is Fabriano Artistico cold press. I think I got good value for my money, and if there is a third campaign, I will buy more than just one.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2016, 08:30 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

With Fabriano Artistico papers things get easier. ( Fabriano has an importer distributor here and I know personally the company owner!!)

But don't get hurry .. I'll make you a better offer with Saunders Waterford paper and in larger size if you want to...

Just wait a few days to get an offer from a book binding company for let's say 5000 pieces ( massive production lowers the cost as it is well know) and then I'll inform you of how many hundreds of thousand dollars I'll need for my services for setting up the deal with the book binding company and send you the books...
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2016, 10:03 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

Let me know when you get this deal together, Marialena. I like Saunders Waterford too, and it is expensive here.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2016, 08:23 PM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst

Hails from Canada

Marialena, perhaps we could become partners. The sketchbooks I make are incredibly similar to the Perfect Sketchbooks. These are the specifications for the Kitckstarter Books:

Complete Specification of The Perfect Sketchbook B5.

Size: Cover dimension: 26cm x 18cm.
Bind: Durable case bound. Lays flat. Proper grain flow.
Cover: Hard cover wrapped in recycled leather. Round corners.
Paper: Cold-pressed, 200 GSM Fabriano Artistico® (Traditional White-light cream) 100% cotton, mould-made, archival, tube-sized, free of animal by-products, watermarked. Both sides sized for painting.
56 Pages.
Ribbon & elastic band.
Inner pocket at back cover.
Square-edged paper.
Deckle & hand-torn edges.
Personalization: For $45, $55, $110, $165, $275 & $550 perks only.
(Please note that survey for personalization will only be send out during the making of our sketchbooks. This will be in March 2016)

I'm sorry, but the prices for these books is off the charts!

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2016, 08:34 PM
A Local Legend
Windswept Prairieland

Hails from United States

Free of animal byźproducts but wrapped in recycled leather!

Sounds like the one I make too Char. But there is a market for those that cannot or will not make their own.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2016, 10:46 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharM
Marialena, perhaps we could become partners. The sketchbooks I make are incredibly similar to the Perfect Sketchbooks. These are the specifications for the Kitckstarter Books:

Complete Specification of The Perfect Sketchbook B5.

Size: Cover dimension: 26cm x 18cm.
Bind: Durable case bound. Lays flat. Proper grain flow.
Cover: Hard cover wrapped in recycled leather. Round corners.
Paper: Cold-pressed, 200 GSM Fabriano Artistico® (Traditional White-light cream) 100% cotton, mould-made, archival, tube-sized, free of animal by-products, watermarked. Both sides sized for painting.
56 Pages.
Ribbon & elastic band.
Inner pocket at back cover.
Square-edged paper.
Deckle & hand-torn edges.
Personalization: For $45, $55, $110, $165, $275 & $550 perks only.
(Please note that survey for personalization will only be send out during the making of our sketchbooks. This will be in March 2016)

I'm sorry, but the prices for these books is off the charts!

The specifications are not unachievable from book binding companies and don't cost that much. As I said previously you can get sketchbooks of this kind for 10-15 euros if you provide the paper ( depending the size) . If you make a bulk order you'll definitely get a better price.

Fabriano Artistico is not the most expensive paper on the market ( neither the best). Here costs 3.17 euros pes sheet at 300 gsm so go figure now how much it costs at 200 gsm. And this is the retailing price. In bulk quantities will probably cost even less.

Anyway.. with this and that this guy got about 70.000 dollars for selling 1000-1500 sketchbooks that probably cost him about 10 dollars each.

This is called as scam you know..
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2016, 11:12 PM
A Local Legend
Windswept Prairieland

Hails from United States

It's not a scam. People went into the deal on their own free will, being told exactly what they would get for their money. They received that item.

Was it a smart buy, not to those in the know. But some people thrive on buying and showing off handmade boutique items. Kickstarter users also know that the money is not just for the product but also for the start up and salary time of the people on the creative end.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2016, 05:19 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Kolkata

Hails from India

It's one thing to make sketchbooks at $10 and quite another to sell them at that price. It costs me about 2 to 25 cents of material to make a full pan of watercolor paint (depending on the pigment). So, will I be able to sell it at 25 cents? No, not really...