WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Student's Dorm
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Chem, bio, physics, physical science
Chemistry 2 100.00%
Biology 0 0%
Physics 0 0%
Physical science 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2016, 09:47 PM

Question Chem vs Biology vs Physics from an artists perspective

So I'm in college for graphic communications and one of my required classes is a science elective between chem, biology, physics and physical science (whatever that is).

So from an artists perspective or even a graphic designers perspective, what is the more reasonable choice?

These are all basic courses so it won't make me a scientist or anything bit I want to choose something that will benefit me most as an artist. Chemistry can potentially teach me how to mix my own paints, biology can potentially teach me anatomy and stuff and physics can probably help me think of things more as real 3 dimentions objects with physical properties. I'm just guessing all this so tell me if I'm wrong.

So if you've been in this predicament or have taken any of these classes, or have any thoughts, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2016, 03:06 AM

Re: Chem vs Biology vs Physics from an artists perspective

50 views and 0 replies. Uncanny...
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2016, 12:24 PM
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

I'm sorry, you've had no answers.

It's been along time since I was in college but I do remember that electives were not that in depth.

I love math but if you don't, physics is not a good one to take, it's mostly math and equations.

Biology may involve dissections, I dont' know if you mind that or not.

Chemistry, is fun (to me ), at the least you may get to do some fun experiments in the lab.

Good luck with whatever you do!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2016, 11:55 PM
Montreal

Hails from Canada

I couldn't even decide! Just the idea of taking a science class from the point of view of an art career is very exciting!

DNA, outer space, sub-atomic particles, patterns, patterns, textures everywhere. Science is the best thing ever for art - bring it on!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2016, 03:22 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

I did not get a chance to vote. I dont really come to this part of the forum much. I would have voted biology, because I am a naturalist artist (animals, landscapes, natural phenomenon) and feel that knowing how life works, how things are put together (especially vertebrate Zoology, osteology, myology, animal behavior, geology, the study of plants, mist, atmosphere, animal tracks, places animals live etc.) is very important in the work I do. I end up studying a lot of "natural science" in my work.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2016, 07:16 AM

Interesting question , I must say. If you have a choice then choose wisely because after all you will have to study the subject, however simple level it is. My experience tells me that if you are comfortable with Maths then choose Physics or Chemistry, else go for Biology.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2016, 08:25 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

biology, 'cause i like naturalist science and inspecting such things and i don't like maths.
physical science is probably kinesiology 'n such.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2017, 08:51 PM

I am currently in this situation. Biology I don't think is going to help much with anatomy because my bio 1 class was only cells and stuff. I am taking biology only because it is the easier of the three in my opinion. If you are really wanting something to help with art in my opinion you should take the actual anatomy class. This would be better then any of the others.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2017, 03:24 AM

I think whichever class gives you a stronger foundation in experimentation and the scientific method, the ability to see that things have a cause and effect and how to apply this in your own studio time- that's the class you should take. Walking into a studio is no different than walking into a laboratory, and nothing makes up for good, repeatable work habits and familiarity with materials.