WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Photography > Photo Equipment and Software
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2016, 06:43 AM
Delhi India

Hails from India
Lens for bird photography

I want to upgrade my equipment for wildlife photography especially birding. I finalized Nikon D500 camera body. Now for lens I am confused among three lenses Tamron 150 600, Sigma 150 600 and Nikkor 200 500. these three lenses are almost same in configuration. Please help me find out to get best lens for Nikon D500. Thank you
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2016, 03:35 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Kolkata

Hails from India
Re: Lens for bird photography

You need a lens with blazing fast autofocus response (usually a prime)... if you want to catch birds in flight. For sitting birds, need a large aperture. So to summarize... the most expensive lens. Also a (very) sturdy tripod and probably a gimball head.

And if not bought the D500 already a good (superzoom) point and shoot is more versatile.

I (usually) don't enter competitions, so got binoculars instead Way more fun... and waaaaay cheaper! Also better for tracking and studying wildlife. [But then I also don't have a social life, so YMMV]
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2016, 05:38 AM
Toon UK

Hails from England

Ive seen some good images from the Tamron. I tend to google the camera / lens combo and see what folks are managing to produce.

I used to have Canon and took plenty of flight shots with my 100-400 lens.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2016, 09:28 AM
North Adams MA

Hails from United States

I shoot with Canon so Im not familiar with Nikons gear . I would recommend if you are gona go hand held a 100-400 mm min zoom lens thats crazy fast auto focus . You might also want to have a camera that can pop off 6 or more frames per second . My 70D canon camera can do 7 frames per second and thats still to slow for me with birds in flight out of the 7 frames i might get one keeper shot . I use a 18-135 mm zoom or a 70 -300 mm zoom and get good shots on a crop sensor camera the numbers are actually much higher for the zooms so it works . over all patience is the best thing to have when shooting birds you need good gear but sitting a waiting is the best thing you can have for this . Remember if its hand held you have to be able to hold it up other wise I'm not sure about tripod mounted lenses but they are not cheap and get the fastest best lens you can afford and the biggest thing i know from my useing astronomy scopes as long telephotos is get a super stable tripod its a big heavy set up but the the results are incredible . Best of luck Remi
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2016, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

From my limited birding - 400mm is never enough with a full frame digital body.

If I was going to go after it full tilt, I would definitely invest in a fast 600mm prime with autofocus and at least a 24 megapixel body that creates a quality image at 6400 iso.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2018, 01:54 PM

Hails from United States

I've been snapping birds for quite a while, and the best lens I've used is the Nikon 80-400 VR ED on my Nikon 610. It's incredibly sharp throughout it's range, and the autofocus works like a charm.

Some folks will say that this particular len's autofocus is slow... and maybe it is on some bodies, but not mine. I set the focus to just the center spot, and then limit the focus range (the control is on the side of the lens). Then all I have to do is put the center spot on the bird, and start shooting. Very rarely does it fail to keep fast-moving birds in focus as long as I can keep him in the center of the frame.