WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2016, 01:55 PM

Protecting the floor in a home studio

I want to have hardwood floors in my townhouse; the second bedroom is used for painting. Sure, I have plenty of tarps, but my question is has anyone experience with flooring treatments (by professionals or DIY) that protect the wood, such as epoxy.

Generally, epoxy coverings may crack with something like wood, which is organic. But I've heard of some folks doing it. My goals it to coat the flooring with something that is resistant to paint, etc.

Thanks.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2016, 09:22 AM
Middleburg, Virginia

Hails from United States
Re: Protecting the floor in a home studio

I have nice hardwood floors in the room I use for a studio. I bought an inexpensive piece of carpet from a big box store to protect the floors. I don't worry about getting paint on it and it provides a little padding for standing in front of the easel. If it gets too nasty someday, I'll replace it. Best of luck!

Laura
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2016, 06:01 PM
Chicago, Illinois

Hails from United States

I have carpet throughout my house, and what I've done is laid old worn-out sheets or towels under my art table. As Lauresa said - I don't care if I (or the kids) spill paint on them, and they protect the carpet. If they get too bad, I toss them in the wash (ALONE!).
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauresa
I have nice hardwood floors in the room I use for a studio. I bought an inexpensive piece of carpet from a big box store to protect the floors. I don't worry about getting paint on it and it provides a little padding for standing in front of the easel. If it gets too nasty someday, I'll replace it. Best of luck!

Laura

Nice idea!!! Thanks!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2016, 01:58 PM

The prior owner of my townhouse put Pergo (yuck) in the room I'll be painting in; however, I've actually found it to be quite durable and resistant to scratching, etc. So I may be OK there.

I also had an idea, to install grommets in fabric drop cloths and mount them on the wall behind my easel to capture any splatters (and on the floor, of course), while I'm painting. They are pretty cheap at Home Depot. I couldn't use the plastic stuff, it would drive me nuts, especially with the noise it makes
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2018, 08:47 PM
Boca Raton, FL.

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrie

I also had an idea, to install grommets in fabric drop cloths and mount them on the wall behind my easel to capture any splatters (and on the floor, of course), while I'm painting. They are pretty cheap at Home Depot. I couldn't use the plastic stuff, it would drive me nuts, especially with the noise it makes

Great idea!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2018, 01:21 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

roll ends of lino are also good floor protectors, they're waterproof and rolly chairs work well on lino.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2018, 10:36 AM

Hails from United Kingdom

I went to our local carpet shop and got some lino ends a nice slate effect it covers half my studio cost £10
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2018, 08:46 PM
Florida, USA

Hails from United States

Rubber backed Rugs under my work area. It's saved me a lot of disasters. LOL.
In Art, Learning to see is at least as important as the actual creation of Art. ~ George Benedict