WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture > Portraiture Forum Library Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2015, 06:05 PM
The Left Coast

Hails from United States
THE 12th ANNUAL WC! Holiday PORTRAIT Swap!!!! Sign-up here!

THE 12th ANNUAL WC! Holiday PORTRAIT Swap!!!! Sign-up here!

The 12th Annual WetCanvas Holiday Portrait Swap!!!
(Directions end of post #2!)

THE 12th ANNUAL WC! Holiday PORTRAIT Swap!!!!

In the wonderful tradition that Joel Cooper began in this forum, 10 years ago this month, we are again running the Annual Holiday Portrait Swap.

-Don't be shy...all levels welcome!
-Here's where you sign up for

--The Twelfth Annual Great Wet Canvas! Holiday Portrait Swap!--

All experience levels are encouraged to participate!!! Please do not feel intimidated; join, it's fun!!! Medium is flexible!!!

Here's how this works...

1. Post to this thread that you are willing and able to participate.
1a. state whether you are willing to pair with someone internationally ( this is our most encouraged route for participants) - or if you can only manage locally ( in your country). Note: This may leave you out if another pairing in your country cannot be found.

2. your photo will be shared with your pairing mate but you are welcome to share a photo of yourself in your posting!

3. The selection process is semi-random ( numbers assigned and matched by a member of the portraiture team and then the list will be published here and in the follow-on thread for folks to share their respective works with everyone.
4. you paint, draw, scratch or ?? your partner!
5. post your work and ship! ( and post W.I.P.'s please!)

You will exchange your photo with that member via email. When you send your photo to your swap partner, be sure to specify if it’s okay with you that they post your reference along with their portrait of you.

Knowing that everyone's time is valuable, we're asking that the portraits be painted in the context of one month time frame ( beginning first of November or thereabouts and being completed by December 1, 2013. This will allow even those with busy schedules to participate in this holiday event.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE - YOU MUST READ AND AGREE: We're requiring that reference portraits that you submit of yourselves be taken in some type of overhead, direct lighting (at "10" or "2" o'clock for reference on a clock-face as to where to place your light source), or natural lighting that accomplishes similar light and shadow qualities on your subject (you!). Basically light that creates a clear, in-focus image with clear shadow shapes, cast shadows and light shapes that makes it a bit easier to paint the human head.

---Please do not submit photos taken with any type of flash or washed out frontal-light.
--- Please do not submit "snapshots" to your partner!----

Also, photos with most of the head/face in shadow are not useful ( and difficult to paint as well). Snapshots as well, under most circumstances will not be sufficient!

Cropping: Please do not crop your head in any way, Head, neck and a bit of shoulders will be a useful amount of "you" for your painting partner. If they want to crop for composition - that is fine!

I will post a tutorial/primer for how to take a good reference photo. Your photo must align to this rule or your partner will have much more difficulty doing a good job ! Window light makes for an interesting natural light situation. As well, outdoors in subdued or non direct sunlight is also a great lighting condition. Remember, your photo doesn't have to be fancy, just clear.

Also, they'll need to be of the head and shoulders variety. Be sure to send your swap member a JPEG image large enough to paint from. Be as creative with your lighting and pose as you like while adhering to the lighting guidelines above as best you can.

We are also putting a 4 week time limit on the portrait creation process. This will allow for the art exchange well in advance of the holidays. Paint or draw the portrait you receive at any size that makes sense to you, given the 4 week time limit. If anyone finds that they end up needing longer, that can be arranged between the 2 artist's swapping. But, we would still love to see WIPs on the posting thread.

All you'll do in this thread is sign up by posting to it with your intention to participate by October 31, 2014. On November 2nd (or thereabouts), we will post the pairing results at the end of this thread. Shortly thereafter, we'll start another thread for the actual portrait swap event. Meanwhile, you can get a head start by getting a few photos snapped of yourself (please do everything you can to provide photos that follow our guidelines set above!)!

This year, please indicate when signing up whether it is OK to pair you with a person from another country or continent. The artwork sent can be labeled as a Gift for Customs, since that is what it is. It should be sent in a photo mailer or a bubble envelope, supported with a piece of cardboard on either side of the artwork. Anyone who does not wish to be paired with someone outside their country, for shipping purposes, please indicate that when you sign up as well. Anyone who forgets, We'll PM you just to make sure before doing the random pairing. Offering this choice allows for a variety of potential partners and will avoid possible repeat pairings, after 6 yrs.

The thread will close end of day, October 31st. After that, pairings will be announced in a new thread typically w/in the first day or two/three in November.

AGAIN: To indicate your participation intent, just post to this thread, and confirm Yes or No to out of country pairing for yourself. Please consider whether you can or not, for certain, participate, before signing up, to avoid people dropping out after the pairing or process has begun.
Any questions, feel free to ask!

Summary:
  1. Post to this thread by 10/31
  2. Prepare by taking clear photos of yourself of sufficient resolution with good light and shadows ( having a few for your partner to choose from is must !). PLEASE, We implore you : Do not put the whole head into shadow!
  3. You will have the balance of November to complete your work and ship your Portrait.
  4. We absolutely encourage participants to post their work here!
  5. Be patient!
  6. Do not sign up if you cannot commit!
  7. And have fun!
The Moderator and Guide staff of Portraiture - we can't wait !!
"kevinwueste" on instagram
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2015, 06:06 PM
The Left Coast

Hails from United States
Re: THE 12th ANNUAL WC! Holiday PORTRAIT Swap!!!! Sign-up here!

Everyone, I wanted to give you some examples of photos that work: (note these are shot in "Rembrandt lighting" or close to.. - And how to set up the light to serve your image!

Attached Images

Above is a single light-source high quality (high -ish considering the subject!) image.. anything similar to this will be useful!

a few more photo examples to quide your image /reference!

Here are some abstracts (above in graphite) based on some of these images and others to clarify what lighting location and shadow shapes will help EVERYONE see form and create nice drawings and paintings. These all use a single direct light source - mostly at the "10" o-clock and "2" o-clock position. The lower left drawing was more above but still offset. I have abstracted the shadow shapes so you can see what you are going for with your reference photos. Snapshots will not do. Fancy lights are not needed but single, direct light source is a must to empower your painting partner with clear forms and structures!

Especially in such a short time-frame! Soft, diffuse light is great if you have months to paint and draw - but we don't so please take heed of these additional directions! ( thank you for reading all of this!)

http://www.kevinwuesteart.blogspot.com
"kevinwueste" on instagram

Last edited by kevinwueste : 10-11-2015 at 06:12 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2015, 08:10 PM
A WC! Legend

Yeah! I can't participate this year, but look forward to following this thread.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2015, 08:40 PM
California

Hails from United States

I would like to sign up. International is fine. Thanks, Kevin!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2015, 09:00 PM
Jax. FL

Hails from United States

Count me in! Thanks Kevin.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2015, 09:39 PM
Peoria IL

Hails from Spain

Sign me up, Kevin. I'm restricted to domestic for now.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2015, 02:27 AM
A Local Legend
Gretton

Hails from United Kingdom

I'm in, a great WC tradition! International and intergalactic.....
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2015, 02:42 AM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales

Yes please sign me up. International is fine.

Dave.
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting please.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2015, 04:50 AM

Please sign me up, international.
looking forward to it.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2015, 08:06 AM
New York City

Hails from United States

I'm in! international ok!
I removed my other post so people don't sign up there instead of here.

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2015, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

I'm in! Ready for another round. International.

Instagram @SmithsonArt
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2015, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Colorado

Hails from United States

I'll join the party, prefer domestic but wil do international.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2015, 10:42 AM
Immortalized
Virginia, US

Hails from Norway

Any medium, right? Not just oil paint?

I'm going to take the leap this year and join.

I can do international and domestic.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2015, 11:29 AM
Heidelberg

Hails from Germany

First time participation here! International is fine

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2015, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

I'm excited to give this another go! Sign me up please. Would much prefer domestic. If not possible, would rather hunt sofa cushions for mailing money, than be left out