WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Which room would make the better art studio?
"Office" room with no windows, slightly larger, irregular shape room (one wall). 2 8.70%
"Bonus" room with 2 windows, slightly smaller, rectangular shaped room. 21 91.30%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2015, 02:38 PM

Which room would make a better studio?

Hi everyone!

We are about to close on a house that is finally large enough for our family - so exciting! We thought I'd take the "office" room for my art studio, but because there are no windows, would it be better for me to set up in the spare bedroom? I was wondering about the fumes from paints/thinners and baking polymer being an issue in a room without a window to open and the lack of natural light. Am I worried about nothing?

The rooms are close enough in size, but the office is slightly larger and weirdly shaped on one side with corners that resemble stairs (sideways).
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2015, 09:32 AM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States
Re: Which room would make a better studio?

Hi J.
I think a big factor is your closest sink . I work in a heated garage and have to bring buckets of water up from the basement. A real pain.
Also, I can't imagine an artist working in a room without windows, not just because of fumes, but the aesthetic environment. I've always had a problem with windowless rooms......just me I guess. And good luck with the new place.
Derek
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2015, 10:04 AM
A WC! Legend

I would also choose the room with windows.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2015, 03:49 PM
A Local Legend

You can get something like this air cleaner for your studio http://www.dickblick.com/products/au...r-air-cleaner/

I'd would pick a room with windows if I had a choice

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2015, 03:57 PM
Tennessee

Hails from United States

Windows and natural light are the details that separate rooms from dungeons. Aside from being able to access fresh air at certain times of year, being able to see something outside the four walls is a blessing. It may be smaller, but having everything close at hand should make working a little easier. You won't have to hike around the room to find things, lol. Having windows also helps you keep yourself from doing what I'm really bad about: I'll be working along, doing my little thing, and I'll get thirsty or hungry and leave the room. The first window I see is a shocker. I've walked out of my little space and discovered bright sunlight shining in an east-facing window. Working hard is good, working all night when you should have been sleeping? Not ideal when you've got to be somewhere for the rest of the day on zero sleep.

Additionally, having more walls allows you to possibly create a spot to mount a shelf or whatever on the wall to hold reference photos/items.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2015, 09:33 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

I'd probably put my priorities in this order:
1. Natural light
2. Storage space for canvas, paper, frames, paints, finished work
3. Square footage of studio
4. Proximity to a sink
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2015, 03:49 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Good advice Jamie: but knowing you, the room is the GREAT outdoors.
Derek
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2015, 09:33 AM

How far is the painting location from the telephone, the kitchen and front door? I like being near command central, and finally settled on a system that works for me: movable easel and antique round oak pedestal table as a taboret in the corner of the living room; south and west-facing windows with light-blocking shades pulled down when necessary. Electric lighting is multi-purpose and pleasant, plus there are a couple of portable up-facing tripod lights reflecting off the ceiling which sit on the oak table. (Therefore not a tripping problem.) Powder room is nearby for water. Supplies and finished paintings are stored in the basement, which has tables and surfaces to collect the chaos when the living room needs to be presentable. Varnishing and framing is done in the basement. Being forced to clean up regularly helps with housekeeping. I work in acrylics, so fumes are not an issue. Also, the fireplace mantel is a great place to prop paintings in progress to analyze them during the course of the day.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2015, 06:19 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Distance from the phone is not an issue as we only use cell phones really. I also didn't mean the irregular room only had one wall, but that only one side of the room was strangely shaped. It also has higher ceilings and shares a wall with the garage, so I'm thinking I may be able to add an exhaust there. Sink distance is about the same for either room. Bonus room is at the very end of the house; the office is at the center of the house.

Here's what's happening in my studio:
Painting (oil, acrylic, watercolor)
Digital art on a Cintiq (Glare from widows??)
Drawing (including charcoal and pastels)
Light sewing (not a major thing but I do use it once in awhile)
Sculpting (clay)
One 30 gallon cube-shaped aquarium

It's a lot going on for one room, I know.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2016, 12:00 PM
A Local Legend
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

I mostly use my garage now, but I originally took the master bedroom and always would in any house I moved into for a couple reasons. It's usually in the back of the house with the best views of the yard (more windows, more light) and closest to a sink. It's usually the biggest room as well as the most private. I make the "guest" bedroom (or 2nd bedroom) my bedroom because I'm only going to use it to sleep in anyway.

I've never had a house with three bedrooms, so those have been my only choices.

When I've had one bedroom apartments, the living room was the studio. I never had much in the way of a TV or a couch. I'd have a loveseat for guests and a dining table to feed people. I did have little TV just for myself in the bedroom for movies sometimes, but never had channels until I met my boyfriend. He kinda turned me into a TV person.

Overall one of the bigger rooms in the house would be the studio, even if it meant the living room. You can always set up one of the bedrooms up as a living room you know, like a media room with a couch and a TV - I've seen this done and it's really cozy and cool.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2016, 02:15 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

I agree about how nice it is to have a view, but please consider the light coming through those windows. I have a very large - a wall of glass, really - south-facing window in my studio area and the light can create problems. If I face my easel so there is light falling on it, then sometimes the change in the light quality can really affect my ability to judge colors. If I turn my easel around the other way then the light is shining in my eyes, sometimes far too brightly. If its a north facing window, though, that should be ideal.

Another thing that struck me as I read through the thread is that if your windowless room shares a wall with the garage it might be very easy to plumb to put a sink right in the room, if that's something of interest to you. In addition, if you frequently will experience fumes from paints/thinners and baking polymer, would those seep out of your studio room? If so, you might then consider locating the Studio in the room furthest from other bedrooms, or at least making sure you have an adequate exhaust system.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 01-07-2016 at 02:19 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2016, 02:50 AM
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Would a skylight be an option? If so, the windowless room sounds like the better choice given its location.

A sink... I would adore a sink in my painting area.

Oh, another thought. What's on the floor? Carpet and paint does not make for great roommates.

Congratulations on the house!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2016, 10:36 AM

I would not feel comfortable in a room with no windows. Plus it helps to see your paintings in daylight.

Since I live in an apartment, I have a room the size of 14 qm set up as a studio, guestroom and office. I have two big shelfs for my supplies, a cabinet with lots of drawers, a sidetable, an easle and two tables, which I can fold together and put in the corner to get them out of the way. Two big windows and a daylight lamp on the ceiling. Plus the bed/couch. It doesn't look always very neat, but I can move around and have everything I need so far. Of course I can't work with huge canvasses, but up to a good size.

I guess, when you plan it right, you can do a lot with a smaller space.

Last edited by Jazzylady216 : 01-14-2016 at 10:40 AM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2018, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA
I agree about how nice it is to have a view, but please consider the light coming through those windows. I have a very large - a wall of glass, really - south-facing window in my studio area and the light can create problems. If I face my easel so there is light falling on it, then sometimes the change in the light quality can really affect my ability to judge colors. If I turn my easel around the other way then the light is shining in my eyes, sometimes far too brightly. If its a north facing window, though, that should be ideal.
Also sun peeking in and out of clouds. And not all windows have views. Sometimes it's nice to shut everything else out and (forced) focus on your work.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2018, 09:22 AM

I voted office. You can setup the easel and lights the way you prefer. Walls are good for hanging painting to let dry. (I like to work on two or more at a time). Add vent, but make sure it is a good one and not a noise maker. If the office is centrally located then you can stop painting and attend to other things that pop up more easily. Some times the bonus rooms have odd shaped walls.