WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2015, 07:27 PM
Arizona

Hails from United States
Value Viewer from Plein Air Magazine

I've been going through a bit of bother with eye problems (laser surgery, shots, drops...all that stuff) that makes it much harder to squint to determine values. In fact, in bright sunshine squinting makes my eyes tear up. I will be taking a 3-day plein air workshop in Sedona, AZ with Shelby Keefe and need something to help in the bright sun.

So, I've been wondering about using the iPhone app called "Value Viewer". Is anyone using it? Pros/Cons?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2015, 11:03 AM
A Local Legend
Salt Lake City

Re: Value Viewer from Plein Air Magazine

My iPhone photos editor has a black and white choice under color. I am not sure what the "value viewer" would do better. You can adjust the value contrast in the editor. Now that I look at this, it might be a good way to review my paintings while working.

Name:  FullSizeRender-2.jpg
Views: 4328
Size:  72.7 KB

Last edited by Trikist : 09-28-2015 at 11:11 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2015, 11:10 AM
A Local Legend
Salt Lake City

I might also add that my 70 year old eyes do not squint very well either. I try to concentrate at how hues and values compare in adjacent objects. Of course my paintings aren't that good. That might not be great recommendation
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2015, 11:13 AM
Peoria, Illinois

Hails from United States

The light out West can be very bright! I understand this, working in Colorado and Wyoming every summer. Protect your eyes also from the high UV. I understand some of the things the right app can do, but it further complicates your process. Simplicity and efficiency are important in the field- Good luck with the Workshop- an excellent painter!

www.KenTiessenArt.com
Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2015, 02:06 PM
Arizona

Hails from United States

Thanks Trikist and Ken for the head's up on the iPhone camera. I didn't think of that and just tried it and it will do the job for me.

Thanks again, George
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2015, 10:14 PM
Enthusiast
Colorado Rocky Mountains

Hails from United States

Hi George -
I love the Value Viewer app. I began using early last spring. I'm a novice Plein Air painter and have trouble 'seeing' values.
I prefer the "levels" setting instead of the Notan setting. I can adjust the bands of highlights and shadows to really study the subject. I also love that I can change the size of the photo and grid it proportionate to my painting size.
For me, it is all PRO; no cons. well worth the cost!

Sue Ann
Be a "Fan" of my 2 Facebook art pages: My Art Trip and Sue Ann Hum, Artist www.sueannhum.com
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2015, 09:22 AM
Arizona

Hails from United States

Sue Ann,

After trying the camera on my iPhone for viewing values, I realized that the screen is much too small to be useful. So, I purchased the Value Viewer for my iPad.

I tried it this last Saturday in the bright sunshine of an Arizona sunrise and it worked perfectly. I also do not use notan, just the values level.

About the only problem with using the iPad is that it is heavier and my plein air pack is quite full. But, that's the price I suppose.

Thanks for the reply.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2015, 10:53 AM

I have also seen artists use a sheet of transparent red film. It causes the highlights and mid tones to redden and the darks to become more apparent.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2015, 02:44 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Sedona, AZ & Campobello Island, Canada

I have a question for those who use the Value Viewer. The human eye can see something like 100 steps in value (it takes a 1% change in value for the eye to recognize the change.) If the Value Viewer reduces the scene to, say, four values, does it give you any kind of control of what to do with the remaining 96 value steps? That is, if a value could go either way to a mid-light or a mid-dark, does it give you the ability to tell it which "bucket" to put it in?

Also, for those who can't squint, maybe these would help:

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2015, 06:53 PM
Lord of the Arts
Longmont, Colorado

Hails from Brazil

Hi Michael, the values in the ValueViewer are adjustable, so in a sense you are telling the tool to put more levels into the mid-dark bucket, or in the mid-light bucket, and so on.
But the important thing is to realize in my opinion is that the ValueViewer is not a tool to help you establish what the value of the shapes are... it is to help you visualize whether the arrangement of similar-range values adds up to a pleasant, balanced composition. Then you can use your own eyes to make the adjustment you are suggesting, that if I make certain shapes slightly lighter (or darker), it will be enough to balance the contrasting shapes on the other side of the composition.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2015, 06:22 PM
Arizona

Hails from United States

Michael and Marcio...both of your suggestions are super. The next time I go to Alaska I'll try to buy (steal?) native-built sunglasses.

Marcio...that's what I know use the ValueViewer for, just to verify a pleasing painting.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2015, 06:25 PM
Arizona

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by **Kathryn**
I have also seen artists use a sheet of transparent red film. It causes the highlights and mid tones to redden and the darks to become more apparent.

I tried the red film prior to my eye problem but it kept disappearing into the bowels of my plein air carrier. I know it's in there, somewhere...

It also helped, and if I can ever clean out the bag I might find it and try it again.

Thanks for the suggestion.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2017, 04:32 PM
Enthusiast
Long Island, NY

Hails from United States

Value Viewer was a great app that I used many times. Unfortunately the developer never updated the app so it would be compatible with IOS 11.0.1 or subsequent IOS versions. This is a great disappointment. However there is another app called Notanizer that offers some of the functionality of Value Viewer. I was very surprised to see Value Viewer advertised in the November 2017 issue of Plein Air Magazine. I plan to check into that further.
troutbum
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2017, 06:48 PM

I never found those red filters to be helpful. What I have found is a free app for Android (maybe it's for Apple too?) called Artist's Grid. Several useful features in the free model and B&W for value scaling is definitely there.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2017, 08:13 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartc
I never found those red filters to be helpful. What I have found is a free app for Android (maybe it's for Apple too?) called Artist's Grid. Several useful features in the free model and B&W for value scaling is definitely there.

I too find the red filters to be not much of a help, but a photo, whether adjusted or not can be a very useful tool for me. There is only one major problem with that - some plein air competitions / shows I participate in specifically forbid ANY use of electronic or photographic devices used in making a painting for the event.