WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2015, 08:06 AM

New to painting (teenager)

My twin 17 year daughter's have taken a year of high school art. They painted a mural at a local preschool (free of charge). This was a first for them. They enjoyed the experience. Where did everyone learn to paint? I don't know where to take them for more training. People have started asking how much they charge. I really want them to get some formal training before accepting money. I am extremely proud of them!
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2015, 07:18 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Re: New to painting (teenager)

fun mural !
everyone loves Suess!
i'm not slamming/discouraging the notion of formal art education, but it's really not necessary. if your girls love drawing/painting, they'll draw and paint and that's the best, practice. That being said, what's available in your area for art classes? most communities have a variety, i'd check out what's there, what kind of reviews they have and start there. Of course if their passion is art, apply to art universities, it may open doors for them and it may look good on a resume, but ultimately won't necessarily guarantee them a career in art - it's there talent/skill, luck and perseverance that will do that.
If people want to pay them for their time i'd let them - the money could go to their supplies, to charities or in their pockets, but starting by giving their work away is training the public to expected it for free (family and friends (and schools/charities/churches, etc) are different and special and don't apply to this guideline).
a caution of copyright - understand it and make sure the girls understand it.
Disney, for example, is Very sensitive about people copying their work for personal or commercial financial gain and have been known to sue people over it.
(it's fine to copy it for practice and personal uses, but totally not fine to sell it).

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)

Last edited by La_ : 07-13-2015 at 07:28 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2015, 03:12 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Australia

Great mural
If people will pay why not let them?
I would imagine there would be local art groups, or colleges, or private lessons. Joining an art club or group is a great information resource for your local area.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2015, 08:10 PM
Yemassee SC USA

Hails from United States

Check with your town's art council(you can find it in the phone book or online). They will know who gives lessons locally and may even have lessons available at their facility.

Another resource is your local art supply store, Michael's for example often has lessons in different mediums through out the week. If there is an in dependant art supply store in your town often there will be one or more regular classes available there.

Also, community colleges often have night classes open to all ages.

Finally if there are local artists in your area they may offer lessons in their specialty. Contact information for local artists is often available through galleries, coffee shops, and the arts council as well as local colleges and universities.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2018, 04:13 PM
Colorado Springs, CO

Hails from United States

I realize this is an old thread, so I hope you were able to take advantage of some of those suggestions. I got my start in high school, as well - I love that you are so supportive of your daughters' interests and passions. Are they still painting?

I ended up going to college for art, and while I didn't actually do a lot with the degree after graduating in 2008, I did learn and expand on my techniques, color mixing and design. I just recently began actively pursuing more artistic business ventures (painting murals), and am still learning new things, haha!