I haven't braved a WIP for awhile and thought you all might like to see my blunders
I started this back in July and have finally got to the painting stage.
My original idea was to make it similar to the Van Gogh papier mache' I did the tutorial on, only larger in both width and depth.
I made the frame out of 30 year old crown moulding that I found in the attic.
Since the moulding was plain I hot glued five rows of dowel rods on the edges of the frame.
The base for "Dorothy" is foam core board.
Here is a close up of the crown moulding and the dowel rods.
Next I took spackling and filled in all the gaps.
After the base was constructed I applied multiple layers of papier mache' strips to both back and front.
I did alternate layers of 20lb brown craft paper and 20lb white butchers paper. This allowed me full coverage of each layer.
This looks nice and flat now but after the first few coats had dried it began to warp.
Paper shrinks after being wet and the old crown moulding was unable to take the pressure.
I was amazed that it didn't break!
To solve this problem I put on two more layers of strips and stood on the frame to flatten it out.
When it was flat I layed it on the floor on top of some 2x4s then put two 10 lb weights on each corner.
I let it dry for two weeks.
To be continued