WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Internet Sales Strategies
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2014, 12:23 AM
Lord of the Arts
WA

Hails from United States
Patreon

Any of you trying it? It seems to be a new sort of Kickstarter type of thing but designed for creatives, artists and musicians and such. Since it just launched last year and is growing rapidly, I'm wondering if it's something to get in on.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/sarahmck...s-of-the-arts/

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2014, 01:03 PM
Wiltshire, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Patreon

It looks intriguing but I don't have time to follow up at the moment.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2014, 05:02 PM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

It's interesting but seems a completely different set-up. It's a monthly income fundraising - so people are pledging an amount to pay monthly. Rather than a one-off project, which is what sites like Kickstarter are.

It's an intriguing idea actually. Most of the projects I saw were radio, video and games. I'd have to ponder how it could be used for art and have a regular, at least monthly, outcome for supporters. I'm sure some artists will have interesting ways to use it.

Tina.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2014, 05:28 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Portugal

When I was a kid, I played Quazatron

Read about it on my Blog

I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.

Last edited by Bringer : 05-27-2014 at 05:30 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2014, 06:43 PM
A Local Legend
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

I just took a second look. I first went on there and I didn't realize how it worked. I didn't watch the video until after I read Tina's post. Now I'm intrigued. This could be kind of awesome for us.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2014, 04:41 AM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

It took me a while to 'get it' too. And I think I need to really look more at what people are patronizing.

Chatted about it with a filmmaker/illustration friend yesterday at our regular pow-wow. We're both intrigued! The issue is of course coming up with some regular serialized project that doesn't take you away from your usual practice, but offers patrons something. Just producing work doesn't seem to be 'public' enough to me, as in, involving the patron in some way or giving them something regularly.

My friend pointed out that one of my goals is to really develop my series of public talks about art and science. So she suggested making free mini episode videos monthly. That could be the project people support, it furthers my own goals as stated on my biz/studio plan, and it would also be good promotional materials for potential clients to see what the talks are like and then hire me. (the added value being that when they hire me the talk is longer and followed by an activity)

Eeeeenteresting....

Tina.

I think I might go for it!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2014, 12:29 PM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

Thanx for the link, will study their site later.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2014, 05:13 AM
Boulder, Colorado

Hails from United States

I'm doing Patreon, I offer prints as the rewards for the pledges ... http://www.patreon.com/JeffLafferty

I look at it as just another way to move some prints. Seems like its got potential, a lot of people on there are making a lot more than money than me.

Mine's slowly building, just like anything on the net. It takes time for your people to find you.

-Jeff
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2014, 02:26 PM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

I like how you've set it up Jeffrey - a nice subscription type bundle. That's what I need to brainstorm and come up with. I do like the idea of a monthly print, I might consider a sort of mini-exclusive print each month of something.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2014, 03:30 PM

Thanks for sharing, this looks like it could come in handy for me in the future.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2016, 09:31 PM

I've just set up a Patreon as well, No patrons yet but I'm hopeful lol
I want to get into some true original work, I depend a lot on my commissions and I wish I didn't have to!
https://www.patreon.com/Bashamfineart

http://bashamamanda.wix.com/artwork
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2016, 02:15 AM

Hails from United States

I actually know a few video game streamers who make their living via patreon and in January I wrote a piece for an independent artist who comissioned me via her patreon donations.

I've been thinking about using it for my writing. There are the same issues with any crowd funding in that people can pledge to pay to get access to patron freebies. For instance MrKravin, one youtuber, offers patrons give aways which are easier to control, but also access to a monthly movie night where he will have a small group of his followers join him to watch a movie online and commentate over it. However a person can pledge $5 a month once and never pay it, but still get access because they are listed patron.

That aside the key thing with patreon is it is a great avenue for representational artists who do comissions, art streams, and offer a lot of content. Maybe it is just me, but I feel like unless you do character art, a funny art podcast, or a Bob Ross type deal it will just not be viable on a month to month basis.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2017, 07:43 PM
Sicily, Italy

Hails from Italy

I'm trying since 1 year but nothing appens.
here in Italy it's so difficult I think.

please, somebody could share my link on his/her patreon page?
https://www.patreon.com/alfioraciti

Thank you so much!