WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Internet Sales Strategies
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2013, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia
Which Website Builder do you have?

So about 5 years ago or so I got advice off Wetcanvasers through reading old posts and even posting my own questions about which website site builder to go through...at the time, many said MrSite (UK based) was good and after research I went through them and choose to go through MrSite.

For a while I have been annoyed at the clunkiness of the website builder that still today 5 years on you think things would have been improved, such as it is not easy upload new images and then having to manually move it up the page so it is at the top AND if a painting sells from my "Gallery" page, I have to delete it and reload it and the info to the "Sold" page. It is also a very time consuming process as MrSite isn't fast. Though it is very user 'friendly' being that you don't need to know HTML codes etc. And the help/support as always been great. It is a paid service to have my website so paying rather than using a 'free' site is not a disadvantage.

So...I am wanting feedback from you guys with what website builder you are through and what positive/negatives you can say about it as I would like to change who I am with.

Here are a free links to the 'top' website builders current research is pointing towards:
http://www.sitebuilderreport.com/
http://www.top10bestwebsitebuilders.com/
https://iwantmyname.com/services/website-builder/
Out of these 3 sites, it is interesting to see who they list and that MrSite does not feature in any of them.

If you could provide some general Pros/Cons of your website builder and/or rate out of 5 (5 being excellent to 1 being poor)
  • overall satisfaction
  • Help/Support
  • Easy to use
  • Value for money
  • Features
  • Other....?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2013, 04:42 AM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Which Website Builder do you have?

If you're willing to go to a templated site, I recommend artweb.com now. I've moved my site there and have been moving quite a few artists there whose site I used to design from scratch.

Satisfaction - 5
Help - 5
Easy to use - 5
Value for money - 4
Features - 3. Limited templates but pretty much all you need for an art portfolio, and there are a few advanced features I'd like but since I know how to do html I can make it do something things myself. )

MrSite is extremely basic, so I'm not surprised it's not on the list. My feedback on some of the top recommendations...

Squarespace is goreous! If they had a template that suited me I would have used them. I did play with it for a while.

Wix is very flash based and I'm not keen on it. You do have to 'start over' with things that don't work. I do use it on Facebook.

1&1 - I've heard nothing but awful reviews of their billing, customer service and servers! Awful. And from too many people. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

Moonfruit - nice but blog/Wordpress looking. I personally don't like that. It's a nice maker though, very easily learned. Test that it works on iPads/iPhones first though! I'm not sure if it's still all flash based.

I think with anything you try, definitely test that they have mobile/device compatibility now. (both lack of Flash, and that the template adjusts for a mobile device). Mobile and tablet browsing and shopping is increasing significantly!

Tina.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2013, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

www.weebly.com It's very user friendly, easy to set up a pro looking site without any HTML knowledge or any other kind of web design experience. The only cons I see is it's a bit slow to load, at least for me, and you can't make directories.

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2013, 09:08 PM
Midwest

Hails from United States

I use Weebly also for my web site. So user friendly!!

My Web Site

My Art Blog
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2013, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member

VodaHost is excellent! Very stable servers. Their website building tool is BlueVoda and it is very easy to use and works excellent for SEO. Great price. Unlimited bandwidth and storage. Superb forum to help you do anything you can dream up. You can't beat it.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2013, 02:14 PM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

weebly.com
Impossible to beat their price - FREE... :-)

If you decide to go paid, there is better stats, support etc.
Free version works for me so far...

https://www.instagram.com/marekbad64
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2013, 12:39 AM
Enthusiast
Napa Valley, California

I concur with the recommendations of weebly.com - I've recommended it to a number of people, and they've all been pleased.

I use it for my sites, and I also used it for our open studios online press room (it's pretty cool): http://www.NapaValleyOpenStudios.info

Wishing you much good luck with your site,
Karen
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2013, 10:34 AM
WC! Guide
Sometimes it's nice to remember those we admired.

Hails from Ireland

Context, but I hand code.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2013, 02:52 PM
Concrete Jungle where dreams are made of

Thumbs up Re: Which Website Builder do you have?

Squarespace.com
Inexpensive and easy to learn. I hate coding and rather not invest time into learning
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2013, 11:12 AM

I highly recommend either using Squarespace or your own installation of WordPress.

This blog post from Creative Capital sums up their reasons for suggesting this (all of which I agree with): Internet for Artists: Why We Only Recommend Two Website Services
Store (contemporary fine art prints)
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2017, 11:30 AM
Lord of the Arts
North Yorkshire

I am currently building a website using Zenphoto which is a photo hosting package. I'm still in the very early stages so I cannot comment on its usability yet. However, they don't have a very useful user guide which is a bit tricky but they do have a useful forum. The package can be manipulated to however you want it, so you do need to have some web knowledge, I don't but hubby does
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2017, 12:03 AM
Washington State

Hails from United States

I like wordpress, its pretty customizable. There is a learning curve, but once you figure out the difference between pages, posts, and widgets, you should be pretty solid.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2017, 06:12 AM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

Since I'm researching moving my host/template I thought I'd share this article of top suggestions for artists.

At the moment I'm considering Adobe Portfolio (because I have a full subscription anyway for my design business) or Wordpress.

http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/f...sts-designers/
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2017, 01:27 PM
Enthusiast
Napa Valley, California

I still love Weebly!

Though the site I listed above some years back — the press room site for Napa Valley Open Studios — is no longer up, the two sites in my signature line are constructed on Weebly. They use an older template which is optimized for mobile phones, but all the new templates are primarily for mobile but also work well for desktop.

They do have shopping cart alternatives, too, though I don't use them.

Hoping this is helpful,
Karen Lynn Ingalls
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2017, 04:35 AM
India

Hails from India

I like wordpress.com and weebly.com.

www.sms4g.com
www.careernaka.com