WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2013, 07:46 AM
Enthusiast

paint sticks to make a panel holder

Okay, I do know this isn't rocket science, but I can't wrap my brain around how to make a basic "2 boards" panel holder, ie, easel top, to hold a panel while I paint. I want a small one, was thinking of even using paint stir sticks. I want to make it to put on the quick release of my camera tripod. I know I need to connect the sticks top and bottom, probably by gluing a cross peice there. How wide should the space be? What size bolts? Is the thickness of 1 stir stick enough? I have some pieces that I could glue on to make them thicker.
AND, the think that attaches to the quick release still spins, though I am now using a shorter screw. Do I need a lock washer to keep it fro spinning? I want to attach my panel holder to it, to set on the tripod. Are there any directions? I've been looking and haven't fund anything.
Thanks, Ella
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2013, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member
Upstate NY

Hails from United States
Re: paint sticks to make a panel holder

Would this be like mine?

Last edited by libby2 : 06-14-2013 at 10:42 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2013, 12:34 AM
Enthusiast

Yep, that's it. That thing shouldn't be that hard. It's frustrating when I can't see things. I guess I'm kind of scattered, right now. Would you mind describing your dimensions and materials?
Thanks, Libby
Ella
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2013, 01:02 AM
Veteran Member
Upstate NY

Hails from United States

Allrighty, hope these do the trick.

Here it is being glued (laminated) with wood glue, It was a blazing hot day and hard to get everything lined up & clamped tight before the glue set-up. I got a 6' piece of 2" x 1/2" birch, but oak would be better. they cut it for me at the lumber store....(note: 2" lumber is really about 1 3/4")

That little 1/4" slip of wood that makes the slot is sold pre-sanded in 2' & 4' strips at Home Depot (I imagine other hardware stores do as well), it's fairly inexpensive for a small strip, and was used in the making of my pochade box. Each strip is 3" long, and I hand cut them to 1/2" wide to mach the thickness of the birch...making both of them 1/4" x 1/2" x 3". I found it easiest cut the pieces from a longer piece of wood clamped to the workbench...seems logical now, but took me a while, and bruised fingers from trying to hold little pieces of wood still, to figure that one out.

Close-up of the clamped end:

A very blurred image of what the end looks like:

How the t-nut sets. It's very important that when it's put in, the pressure of the tripod mount pulls it deeper into the wood....instead of pulling it back out (ask me how I know ). These are available at the hardware store, "1/4"- 20" x 5/16 in. (link in next post.)

edit to add: for the t-nut installment, you will need a 3/4" drill bit as well as drill bit the size of the outer dimensions of the threads. The 3/4" drill bit is needed to create a seat, or little divot for the head of the t-nut to sit down in so that it lies flush with the wood surface. It is epoxied in as well as hammered in.

Back side of the t-nut installment, this is where the tripod mount screws into it. There was some extra bits of birch left over so I used that, it was thick enough, and it didn't matter if the threading went into the center slot. If you don't have any scrap, then you will need some tough wood, 3/4" thick. Some use plywood, but I tore a piece up in a t-nut misadventure.

To continue in next post...

Last edited by libby2 : 06-16-2013 at 01:32 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2013, 01:39 AM
Veteran Member
Upstate NY

Hails from United States

Con't.

There's the t-nut. Here's a link to show what the little beast looks like. Note the wood digging spikes.

Not sure what these are called, so I'm naming them panel supports....feel free to correct me. They're made from the same 1/4" strips of wood that were used to create the slot on the panel holder shown in previous post. After I made these I read somewhere that longer ones are better to support bigger panels/canvases, just rotate them so they're parallel w/the panel holder for storage. These held 1/4" 16 x 20 masonite panels in somewhat windy conditions, so they're not too bad. Two pieces are used, one cut smaller in order to form a lip on each end (decide how much you want, I chose 1/4" lip ea. end). Glued & screwed, then a piece of fun foam glued on so the panels don't slide off...note that this arrangement won't hold a thin store bought panel tight, there's some wiggle room, but that can be remedied by two panels. Some sort of fancy furniture 1/4" x 1 1/2" bronze color screw that's threaded the same as the wing nut, epoxied in, and a toothed washer to bite into the wood to keep everything tight.

And from the back side:

Good night, I'll check back tomorrow and see what I missed.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2013, 09:48 PM
Enthusiast

Libby, thanks so very much. I'm making a shopping list after dinner.
May not get to HD for a few days--it's hotter than the hinges here, and rain on the way, but I'll keep it in the car. HD does have a bin, but I haven't found much there when I went looking.
Thanks so much for taking the time to post this information.
Ella
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2013, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member
Upstate NY

Hails from United States

Welcome. Hope the weather breaks soon!

To note: here, the 1/4 strips of wood (oak, maple & birch in 1/4" & 1/2" x 2" wide & 4" wide by 2' & 4' long, sanded & ready to use) were located in a special display box in the lumber section along with the 2"x6"x8', 2"x8"x8', etc pieces, not with the molding trim....although your store might be different.

ps: Sometimes the wood is warped & you have to sift thru to find a good one. :P

Have fun!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2013, 12:20 PM
Enthusiast

I have the T-nut mount made. That is what is spinning on the tripod mount. I think the fellow that helped me with it didn't know what he was doing... Sorry-the T-nut is in the plywood (not epoxied--didnt know it was to be) and it is spinning on the bolt. That was what I was asking if it needed a lock washer, but that shouldn't be. Maybe the bolt in the quick release thingy isn't long enough.
Ella
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2013, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Upstate NY

Hails from United States

Is it not threading correctly? As in the bolt not 1/4"??? It could be that your mount is different....I've never heard of a bolt being different but then I don't know about all the brands....I'm sorry if I steered you in the wrong direction. The best thing would be to detach the mount and take it to the hardware store for a proper fit.

eta. the bolt on mine extends out about 3/8".

eta 2. can you take the quick release off and see how it fits?

Last edited by libby2 : 06-17-2013 at 07:22 PM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 03:11 PM
Enthusiast

This is a great thread on making a mast for a plein air setup. A bump to the top seemed appropriate. I made one similar to this and it has been serving me well for a few years now. I ditched the pochade box and went with the mast and a shelf on the tripod legs.

My only "improvement" suggestion would be using larger 3/4" to 1" flat fender washers rather than the small lock washers as shown. They won't chew up the wood nearly as much. Once the panel is locked in place this type of washer provides plenty of grip to hold things in place.

If you want to get fancy, 1/4-20 threaded bolts with large plastic knobs on the end can be purchased on ebay and amazon. With those, put a 1/4-20 T-Nut in the panel holding brackets, just like you did on the mast, and bring the bolt through from the back side into the T-Nut.
Attached Images

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2018, 10:38 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Arizona

Hails from United States

Thanks for bumping up.
What did you use to attach shelf to legs?
Bill
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2018, 12:52 PM
Enthusiast

I am not sure what you mean by "shelf"?

If you are referring to the wood plate on the back of the mast that has the 1/4-20 T-Nut in it that attaches to the tripod head, I basically did what the OP has in their description. Installed the T-Nut then glued and clamped the plate in place on the mast boards with countersunk screws on the other side reinforce it.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2018, 06:21 PM
Enthusiast

I added more information on my own personal build on this thread over in the Plein Air forum. There is a drawing with the dimensions I used as well as some notes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...0#post21270300