WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 09:36 AM

Blue/green linoleum? help

Hi everyone! An unidentified artist left a few blocks of lino in a studio I work in. They were green on one side and blue on the other. They cut absolutely beautifully, but I've never seen them anywhere. Anyone have any idea what brand these are, or where to buy them?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 10:20 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States
Re: Blue/green linoleum? help

Welcome to the forum, Michee!

I know exactly what you are talking about. I had some years back and, as mentioned, it cuts very nicely and prints up just like lino. I remember getting it through Dick Blick or Daniel Smith but I can't seem to find it.

Other members have also used it so maybe one of them will come along soon with purchase information...

Diane
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 10:48 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

I have long wanted to try out linocuts, but alas, around here artist's linoleum is so expensive I can't really afford it. I wonder what one can use as a substitute, besides wood (which doesn't seem to ever give quite the same kind of effect)?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 11:14 AM

My friend, who is a fantastic relief artist, just uses floor linoleum and swears by it (you can find scraps and offcuts at flooring places for super cheap). I find it a little harder to cut than the grey stuff, but it holds the lines very, very well. I like really soft stuff though, that's why I'm looking for the blue/green lino
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 01:43 PM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by michee
My friend, who is a fantastic relief artist, just uses floor linoleum and swears by it (you can find scraps and offcuts at flooring places for super cheap). I find it a little harder to cut than the grey stuff, but it holds the lines very, very well. I like really soft stuff though, that's why I'm looking for the blue/green lino

I have wondered about using floor linoleum, so I'm glad to hear that it can be made to work. I suppose it depends on the particular type (I'm guessing not all floor linoleums are created equal) but I really should look into this...
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Toronto, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Michee: You are so lucky. You just "inherited" Gomuban which is a Japanese rubber plate used for creating linocuts. It is available from McClain's Printmaking Supplies in King City, OR. imcclains.com or 1-800-832-4264. My printmaking teacher in Toronto, Victoria Cowan highly recommended this company and that product.
Hank Lobbenberg, Toronto, ON
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2013, 05:03 PM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Here's the Gomuban link: http://www.imcclains.com/catalog/blocks/gomuban.html. Sounds like what I had and now I'm almost sure I got it from McClains.

I remember I liked it but found that I'd get little hangers-on. I wrote about it on my blog here: http://theitinerantartist.blogspot.c...eum-so-am.html

Diane
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2013, 06:16 AM
Surrey, England

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by michee
Hi everyone! An unidentified artist left a few blocks of lino in a studio I work in. They were green on one side and blue on the other. They cut absolutely beautifully, but I've never seen them anywhere. Anyone have any idea what brand these are, or where to buy them?

Where are you based? You can order them from Intaglio in the UK.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2013, 08:15 AM

I love this stuff! I am in the UK too, so not much help I suspect. I get it from Intaglio as above.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2017, 03:31 AM

This product is called gomuban I believe and is carried by McClains. It is a little expensive and sine I prefer a harder product like battleship grey lino or wood I would not prefer it and am only using it as I got a free sample. I also think it is Hardee on my knives.