WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Just 6 colours - choose yours now!
White or Buff Titanium 47 12.91%
Cool Yellow 165 45.33%
Mid Yellow 138 37.91%
Warm Yellow (including Quinacridone Gold) 169 46.43%
Orange (including Quinacridone Burnt Orange) 47 12.91%
Warm Red 208 57.14%
Cool Red 136 37.36%
Quinacridone Rose or Red 133 36.54%
Quinacridone Magenta or Violet 63 17.31%
Purple 26 7.14%
Warm Blue 267 73.35%
Cool Blue 258 70.88%
Other Blue 31 8.52%
Turquoise 38 10.44%
Blue - Green 41 11.26%
Yellow - Green 36 9.89%
Yellow earth colour (inc. yellow ochre, raw sienna etc) 106 29.12%
Burnt Sienna 188 51.65%
Other Brown or earth colour 65 17.86%
Bistre, Mixed Grey or Black 39 10.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2013, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia
Just 6 colours

This mini palette was discussed in another thread, and I wondered, if you had it, what 6 colours you'd put in it. The obvious is 3 warm and 3 cool primaries, but that actually doesn't necessarily create the most useful options. What colours would you choose?
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2013, 09:57 PM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States
Re: Just 6 colours

I'd select a primary and secondary palette, with one paint of each of the primary and secondary colors. It will give you a palette with much greater saturation than the standard warm-cool primary trio.

But this palette is much, much too small for my brushes and paintings, and doesn't have nearly enough palette wells. Have you tried a large-well John Pike palette? Now there's a real palette.

In the end, however, what's best is what works best for what you paint and the way you paint it.

Sling paint,
Virgil

Last edited by virgil carter : 01-25-2013 at 09:59 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2013, 12:07 AM
Enthusiast
California

Hails from United States

If I had this palette I'd use it for spontaneous away from home little sketches. So I'd want colors suitable for how I like to do such sketching. I don't care much for getting precise or brilliant colors, but would want to get a good range of tonal values and warm/cool atmospheric effects. So something like:
ultramarine blue
prussian blue
chromium green oxide
burnt umber or sepia
cadmium yellow light
cadmium red light
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2013, 05:17 AM
Lord of the Arts
Finland

Hails from Finland

somehow i think this kind small palette sounds impossible to me. and if must to do it i maybe choice colours what w&n recommend which i dont have time search it.btw i think to me w&n french ultramarine blue is must have colour.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2013, 05:23 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Check out the Top 20 FAQ for suggested palettes.

Doug
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2013, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorky
Check out the Top 20 FAQ for suggested palettes.

Doug

My question was more of a curiosity thing. I don't own the box, but am curious about colour choices. 20 is easy. So is 12 really, but 6 is more of a challenge - what 6 colours could you limit yourself to.

I agree that for me too Ultramarine Blue would be in there, and Quinacridone Gold, Permanent Red Deep, Burnt Sienna, and probably Goethite and Buff Titanium.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2013, 08:39 AM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst, Ontario

Hails from Canada

I love to play "what if" games!

Firstly, I really like that little palette even though I think it might even be too small as a travel palette.

I participated in Sylvia's triad Class some time ago. As a result of that Class, I bought Nita Leland's book on Colour where she explores combinations of pigments. The challenges of painting with such limits is interesting and it really helped me to better understand the variety of colour that could be mixed.

So... I would have "sets" of half pans filled with a variety of triads consisting of some red, blue and yellow. I would keep burnt sienna, viridian and azo orange as my other three standby's. When I tired of one set of triads I could switch them out for something new...

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2013, 10:00 AM
Lord of the Arts
West Chicago,IL

Hails from United States

Cadmium yellow light, Quin. red, cobalt blue, burnt sienna, Paynes grey, and cadmium orange.

Last edited by hblenkle : 01-26-2013 at 10:05 AM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2013, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinacridone Gold
...and Buff Titanium.

An interesting choice; why do you like this one so well, if you wouldn't mind sharing. Thanks!
dpc
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2013, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member

Ultramarine Blue
Magenta
Scarlet Lake
Winsor Yellow
Burnt Sienna
Phthalo Blue (GS)

Which is not quite the true secondary palette in that I'd forego the green for the Burnt Sienna. Or more likely I'd cheat, toss in a half-pan of the green (PG7) and get to seven colors.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2013, 03:49 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Behind the Orange Curtain

Hails from United States

Hmmm. My six might be very unusual if I was heading outdoors to paint something in particular, and knew what colors might be needed. For general use, I think I'd go with one of these:

Favoring neutrals and violets:
Ultramarine Blue (PB29)
Quin Rose (PV19)
Burnt Umber (PBr7)
Green Gold (PY129)
Nickel Azo Yellow (PY150)
Quin Burnt Orange (PO48)

Favoring oranges and greens:
Thalo Turquoise (PB16)
Quin Red (PR209)
Pyrrole Orange (PO73)
Green Gold (PY129)
Nickel Azo Yellow (PY150)
Quin Burnt Orange (PO48)

Actually, I could probably paint happily forever if I could just have two more, but that wasn't the question Each includes a favorite pair of pigments: Ultramarine Blue + Burnt Umber on one list, and Thalo Turquoise + Quin Burnt Orange on the other. The latter actually produces some surprisingly nice greens.

Like many of you I have a big drawer full of paint, almost all single pigments, and do use all of them as needed. To feel "ready for anything" though one of the six packs above would get it done.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2013, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

and Buff Titanium
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpcoffin
An interesting choice; why do you like this one so well, if you wouldn't mind sharing. Thanks!
dpc

Well I think if you were to limit to just 6 pigments, you are travelling light and need the colours for plein air. If I am painting outdoors, I am looking at rocks, beaches, pebbles, stones, gum trees, people, flowers...I wouldn't use white, but Buff titanium is a lovely granulating creamy colour that works well for any of these. It also converts Ultramarine blue to cerulean with a touch of quin gold, and perm red deep to pink, and creates flesh tones with burnt sienna and quin gold or goethite. Dropped into a deep green damp wash (ultra + quin gold) wash it creates instant moss effects. Very useful!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2013, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia
Wink Re: Just 6 colours

[quote=Cyntada]
...Actually, I could probably paint happily forever if I could just have two more, but that wasn't the question Each includes a favorite pair of pigments: Ultramarine Blue + Burnt Umber on one list, and Thalo Turquoise + Quin Burnt Orange on the other. The latter actually produces some surprisingly nice greens.

OK Cyntada, so what would your two more be? Maybe I should add a poll...If I were to make it 8, I'd add Undersea green (convenience) and 'Bistre', ready make burnt sienna and ultramarine mix, for convenience....then I think I could paint forever too without having to mix all the time.

I think 6 is very limited for watercolour, though I know a watercolourist who does wonderful work using only Ultramarine, Quin magenta, Quin Gold, Burnt Sienna and Raw Sienna. Nothing else, though she does like Cerulean....In oils it's no problem but in watercolour such a limited palette also limits the choices regarding transparency, granulation etc.

Last edited by Quinacridone Gold : 01-26-2013 at 07:04 PM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2013, 08:07 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Quite interesting...and a bit mind boggling for someone who LOVES color and LOTS of it!

The question arose, three warm and three cool primaries? I would say yes to that. You could pretty well mix dozens of mixes with those (including your burnt umbers, paynes grays, etc. etc.! And you could incorporate your favorites into those. You would then have a NUMBER of triads to choose from!

AND, to make matters worse, you should choose your colors as to what you LOVE to paint. Vibrant Florals would need a different palette. Portraits would need a different palette. Landscapes would need a different palette. Wildlife, Domestic Pets, Still Lifes etc etc and etc. (Do we have a pulling out hair in exasperation icon?)

For a six color palette, I would not choose any type of white (I think Buff Titanium is a bit TOO heavy, even for me who loves to paint with opaques!) It would be better to make diluted grays/browns/sands to take the place of the Buff Titanium....

Margarete

Last edited by M.L. Schaefer : 01-26-2013 at 08:15 PM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2013, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinacridone Gold
and Buff Titanium

Well I think if you were to limit to just 6 pigments, you are travelling light and need the colours for plein air. If I am painting outdoors, I am looking at rocks, beaches, pebbles, stones, gum trees, people, flowers...I wouldn't use white, but Buff titanium is a lovely granulating creamy colour that works well for any of these. It also converts Ultramarine blue to cerulean with a touch of quin gold, and perm red deep to pink, and creates flesh tones with burnt sienna and quin gold or goethite. Dropped into a deep green damp wash (ultra + quin gold) wash it creates instant moss effects. Very useful!

Sounds yummy; thanks! (And so are all those gorgeous watercolor mixing charts at your website; double thanks!!)

dpc

Last edited by dpcoffin : 01-26-2013 at 09:24 PM.