WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Figure, The
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2003, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member

Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter more self portrait nude

also posted in critique center. (couldnt find my old thread..so i guess i create a new one? )still working on it. i took your suggestions and created more highlights, and i'm working on the arm..but its not working! please, any thoughts, any help!

www.katelynalain.com
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2003, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Hungary

Hails from Hungary
Really wonderful work. The only thing that distracts me is the white on the right. (window?)..It draws the eyes...because it is the brightest spot on the painting.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2003, 03:56 PM
New Bedford, MA

Hails from United States
So very happy to see more of this. Just watching your painting progress, seeing you work with some of the same issues that I had been working with, has put me in full on painting mode. I've spent all summer as an art spectator, and I'm ready to be an artist again.

Thank you, and if you ever do show in New England, be sure to tell us. I, for one, will be there to see this stuff up close.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2003, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Surrey, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Hi Katelyn,

It's wonderful, your face is haunting, such a personal portrait. How do you feel about it, standing back and looking at it?

Perhaps take a break from the arm for a bit, I find getting some 'time' distance from a problem area sometimes helps to
see what you need to do to resolve it. I do agree the white area is detracting from the figure - which deserves all the viewers attention. Fabulous.

Julie
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2003, 04:32 PM
A Local Legend
New York, USA

Hails from United States
Sensitively and simply done. This is very moving. The face grabs me more than the body but I don't mind that.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2003, 04:42 PM
A WC! Legend
Carolina Coast

Hails from United States
Katelyn...
Don't lose hope... coming along nicely. I commend you for sharing your inner/outer-most intimacy with us. The expression on your face is rendered excellent but gives a feeling of despair or sadness... is this true? BTW... love the hair!! I agree with Julie about the arm... come back to it later. It doesn't seem that you have worked on the model's (didn't want to say "your" LOL) left breast any since your initial post... have you? The reason I ask is that it looks flat and lacks the volume and weight that the right one gives (which is rendered perfect I might add). You may already have in mind what you wish to do there but if not I wanted to bring that to your attention. The white window doesn't bother me as much as the white light between the left arm and the body... my eye goes there first. Keep us posted and don't give up!
Rosic
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2003, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Tyler, Texas USA

Hails from United States
Personally the white didn't distract me at all plus I don't see any real problem with the arm except where you changed the direction of your brush stroke and formed a line outside your hand on the right side. I do feel however that since the white are curtains with light that there should be more backlight especially on the hair. The only other problem I see is you really do have a natural beauty in your face and your light source makes your face look like you have darker circles than you really do. One way to correct this in the future it to light yourself more by having a light 8 to 10 feet up out in front of you on your right side where the natural light is coming from but slightly more to the front. It will light up the natural beauty more instead of shadowing it. This is an awesome painting though.
>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><< Danny<<>><<>><

Last edited by Danny : 09-07-2003 at 09:47 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2003, 02:29 AM
Veteran Member
New Jersey

Hails from United States
i'm ass-u-me that you're talking about your left arm (our right, which could be you're right if you're looking at a mirror..anyway) the straight arm looks swollen, and if it is in real life, then holy crap, please, please, please accept my apologies! the painting is coming out great, but if i must be annoying, the left side with all that open space looks too open, almost unnecessary. just my opinion.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2003, 04:19 PM
Enthusiast
Illinois

Hails from United States
I'm not a figure painter, just browsing but I see what you mean about the left arm. You did a great job on the right arm which should have been the hardest to do since it involves fore-shortening. Looks like mid forearm down is mis-shaped. Overall great job!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2003, 09:09 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Arizona

Hails from United States
Katelyn..as previous posters have stated..very well done and more than just a self portrait..lot's of story line behind the painting.

As to the problem with the left arm. What I see is that you have an arm in suppination (s?) and the swell of the forearm is off as you know. A way for you to see what needs to be done is to observe your arm turned into that position with the thumb/forefinger turned facing the viewer and hold along side you leg. The calf curves longer and less abrubtly on the outside and starts lower on the leg and a more abrubt curve on the inside.

With that in mind you can observe how the outside curve of your forearm will curve over and beyond the crease at the bend of the elbow while the inside curve starts just below that crease and moves quickly to the bottom edge of the plane near the wrist.

Also you may note that the planes at the wrist will be parallel to your body while the elbow bend will be facing more toward the viewer.

Hope you can decipher this rather convoluted explanation and that it is of some help.
Great work.
Max
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2003, 09:04 AM
A WC! Legend
New York City

Hails from United States
Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing!

It's a beauty!!!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2003, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member

great advice

hi everyone, and thank you so much for the critique. i see that the problems i am having are obvious to you also. good. i'm working on it and i will post more progress asap. worked on it last night and changed that arm again. yikes. thank you all for your kind encouragement. i need it!

www.katelynalain.com
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2003, 11:21 AM
The Magical Land of Narnia

Hails from United States
Hey, I think youre hot. I really love this painting, my control of paint is nothing compared to yours. But im still young so its okay. I love this piece. I believe it's one of the better ones I've seen here at WC, but I havent been here long. It still totally rocks. I can't wait to see the piece again once you've made the changes. Have A Nice Day!

I still think you're hot, tho
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2003, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Long Beach, NY

Hails from United States
I think this is a wonderful self-portrait.

Are you working from a picture or using a mirror?
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2003, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member

i am working from a mirror..but i just moved in with a roommate so now i have to sneak in some late night painting and hope they dont wake up! sucks. i was so comfortable in my own space before. doing a nude portrait was totally normal..now i have to be paranoid, but thats ok.

www.katelynalain.com