WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2003, 11:55 PM
Philadelphia

Hails from United States
encaustic - autumn leaves

Another encaustic. this one is pretty big, 24"x24" homemade encaustics on wood. for some reason the colors look all washed out in the photo, but there is much more contrast and color variation in real life.
Attached Images

"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced." -Leo Nikolaevich Tolstoy
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2003, 02:32 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from Canada
Gorgeous, just gorgeous, so vivid, the texture in the encaustics!

Last edited by paintergirl : 07-18-2003 at 02:57 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2003, 07:24 AM
A WC! Legend
Devon, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Just AWESOME. A very beautiful work of art
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2003, 09:49 AM
Philadelphia

Hails from United States
Thank you so much :-) I really need to learn how to photograph encaustics better. It is really hard to get the colors right without creating glare (since the surface is so reflective.) It's really frustrating, b/c the works look SO much better IRL...
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced." -Leo Nikolaevich Tolstoy
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2003, 10:23 AM
A WC! Legend
Devon, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
I am sure they just glow in real life Ed and I would love to be able to see them up close
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2003, 04:15 AM
Never, Never Land!

Hails from Peru
Do you have a dig-cam? They work great and you can adjust the light and lenses as you wish to get the desired look you want!

www.marcelasalcedo.com

All works of art are copyrighted and may not be copied, reproduced or downloaded without written consent from Marcela Salcedo 2003.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2003, 11:14 PM
A WC! Legend
High Desert of Idaho

Hails from United States
Lazarus, you have got to share your reciepe for the homemade encaustics. I am going to give your technique a go once I collect enough little tin cups. I would really like to learn to make my own, because I feel as though I am working with a very limited palette. I have every color that was available from the people I bought my supplies from.

I really love your work on the wood. I have a small torch that would work, but you said something about a heating gun. Would a hair dryer work? I have so many questions......lol

Stone Chief Studio_____________________________
Charissa
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2003, 06:51 PM
Connecticut

Hails from United States
Gorgeous picture

I really like the way this came out and hope that someday, I will make such lovely pictures. How long have you been doing encaustic and what tools do you use? You can tell that I am just learning this technique.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-22-2003, 11:41 AM
Philadelphia

Hails from United States
My basic encaustic recepie is beeswax+microcrystalline wax+oil paint for pigment. I use oil paint, b/c I work in my apartment and don't want the hazards of dealing with dry pigment. I start by melting down a large quantity of beeswax in an empty pineapple juice tin on a hotplace. I then filter it to remove any impurities and gunk (you can skip this if you have already filtered beeswax). and then add about 1/3 microcrystalline wax by volume. Many encaustic recepies use damar for harness, but I don't for safety reasons. I find that a good amount of microcrystalline wax provides an adequately hard finish. I then pour it into little square loaf tins and let it cool, voila- nice wax blocks. when I want color, I melt down the desire amount in the muffin tins on the hotplate. I have a ceramic mortar and pestle, also being kept warm on the hotplate. I put a dab of oil paint in the bottom of this, and then pour the melted wax in, grinding the pigment into the wax with the pestle in a circular motion. it diffuses the pigment nicely, and then i simply pour the newly made color into its own tin, either using it immediately or letting it harden into a cake for later use. sometimes there is still a bit of pigment left on the bottom of the mortar, so I pour in a bit more wax and mix again to get the last bits out. then I just wipe it out with a paper towel, and it is ready for the next color. this sounds kind of involved, but it really is quite quick. I usually just leave the mortar on the hotplate when I am working along with my oil tubes,and some clear wax, and I can quicky (<2min) whip up any color I need.
As for fusing, a torch works (that's what I learned with), but it is harder to control, and is of course a rather sizeable fire hazard. I would strongly advise going with a good heat gun, meaning one with adjustable temperature and variable airflow. R&F sells one but you should also be able to pick one up in a hardware store for around 50-70 dollars. I got the R&F one for about 60bucks, and I'm sure you could find it cheaper. Just make sure it has variable temperature (as opposed to fixed or only 1 or 2 temp. settings) A hair dryer won't really work as it doesn't get hot enough to be practical.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2003, 09:14 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from Canada
Thanks for posting the 'recipe' , your encaustics are so vivid.
You were able to get the thin lines in your cattail piece with a torch? Great work Lazerus