WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2001, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United Nations
Post Publishing Limited Edition Prints

I liked the article, but what about using giclee printing? This is a way of making a digial copy of your art (assuming it didn't start as digital ) and printing using advanced ink-jet printing machines, often called Iris printers. You will pay more per print, but the quality, longevity and ability to "print on demand" and print on a variety of substrates (like watercolor paper and canvas) could be worth the extra cost. This way, you can sell as people express an interest, or gamble with fewer copies of a presale printing. Thoughts?

------------------
Doug
Blue Spade Productions
http://www.bluespade.com
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2001, 07:31 AM
Enthusiast
Cary, NC

Hails from United States
Hi bluespade,

This particular article relates to those wishing to publish in quantity and the choice between using a publisher or self-publish.

Many artists today are taking a third route, self-publishing and printing their own pieces. This is becoming a very stong alternative for many. I will be addressing this topic in a future piece.

There are pros and cons and much research along with testing is recommended when artists go this route. For now, I recommend searching and looking at everything you can related to Glicee and other printing methods, including publishers. There's a great deal to learn and read about just from printer's sites as well as from desktop publishing resources. One excellent site that was given to me by a WC member, pixelscapes, is: http://www.tssphoto.com

Diane

------------------
L. Diane Johnson NAPA, PSA
Plein Air Workshops
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2004, 12:36 AM
Mary Esther, Fl.

Hails from United States
Re: Publishing Limited Edition Prints

Great article Diane,

I started out marketing in the giclee print market. So I'm not only learning about marketing but learning about the giclee's as well. I have my prints made professionally and am self-marketing right now. I did sign with ArtREPS for getting into the publisher's market.

Is it wrong for me to take all my work to print? Because that's what I'm doing. I'm ranging my limited editions from 75-1000 prints. To cover the different price ranges. After this week I'll have 23 prints available on the print market. I realize that marketing is the key, and the print market is for the long haul. I'm trying to build a business to pass on to my kids. Is this the right way to go about it?

I believe that self-marketing locally and signing with publishers to get out into the world work hand in hand. One of my biggest fears is " am I jeaprodizing my chances with publishers by having a limited edition already on the market? Or would they still sign me on to run a larger print or say a canvas print edition , seeing I'm running a paper print only?

I've only been in the market 10 months, been painting my whole life, just made a commitment to get into the print market. It's starting to pick up speed but definately been a slow starter. Loved your website and thank you for all that you share Brad

my website
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2006, 11:02 AM

Question Re: Publishing Limited Edition Prints

Hi,
I am showing my first Limited Edition giclee this weekend and son't know how to sign,number and name it properly. Where,with what (pen?) and how should this be done? Sounds dumb,I know but I really need help!
Thanks
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2006, 11:27 AM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

Hails from United Kingdom

Maggie - usually it would be number on the lower left below the image (in the margin) as 1/50, or 25/50... the first number is the number of that print and the second is the total in the edition. Sign it on the lower right below the image. You should do this in pencil - that's because the look of pencil can't be replicated by reproduction techniques so someone can tell it's an original signature.

Tina.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2006, 03:54 PM

Timelady,
THanks for the help. Do you put the title in the middle below the picture? Also,if you do several sizes are they all in the same sequence when they are numbered or is each size a different "print series/"
Maggie
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2006, 10:41 PM

Hails from United States

Bumping up in hopes someone will answer your last question because I too am just earning the in's and out's of prints.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2006, 02:45 PM
menasha, wisconsin

Hails from United States

Maggie-- I do put the name of the print in the center with quotes. I often frame my paper prints with the matting right up to the image, in that case I find a corner and sign my name with the print number (2/250) and do not put the name on the print. I usually use a silver sharpie for this type of signing, and pencil if signing in the white border area. Each size is a different series... a print in a limited edition must be exactly the same... same size, same media (paper, canvas.....). Hope this helps.

www.adrenalineartstudio.com
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2006, 02:53 PM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

Hails from United Kingdom

Whatever type of print you do I'd recommend always signing in pencil. There are two reasons: 1. it will not fade, 2. the 'finish' of pencil can't be reproduced so it's easier to verify a genuine signature.

In traditional printmaking the usual is:
left side: numbering middle: title right side: signature
Hope that helps!

Tina.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2006, 06:02 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerartist
Maggie-- I do put the name of the print in the center with quotes. I often frame my paper prints with the matting right up to the image, in that case I find a corner and sign my name with the print number (2/250) and do not put the name on the print. I usually use a silver sharpie for this type of signing, and pencil if signing in the white border area. Each size is a different series... a print in a limited edition must be exactly the same... same size, same media (paper, canvas.....). Hope this helps.

I am not understanding your "right up to image" are you refering to a foam backing or mat back and nothing on top????

Also in reference to " limited edition" statement....if I decide to do a limited editon of one of my prints and I want to do 16x20 on canvas lets say 100 of them but I also wanted to do 8x10 in a paper also 100 then am I legally allowed to have 2 limited additions of the same print? or would they all have to be one form of paper?
thanks!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2006, 10:37 PM
menasha, wisconsin

Hails from United States

The print has an image size of lets say 24 x 30, then around the image is a border of white paper usually 2" all the way around. When I frame these sometimes I do not let the white border show. The print is mounted on archival board (acid free), then framed with a matt (either right to the image or showing some of the white), a UV glass or plexiglass, then the actuall frame. Below is a picture of a framed print that one of my customer sent to me when he hung it. Does this help? The white border is showing in this one.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2006, 10:38 PM
menasha, wisconsin

Hails from United States

Oh and in answer to your limited editions. You can have paper and canvas and you can have different sizes in each. I have usually two differnt sizes in paper. You just have to have what ever number you decide for that particular size. Sometimes I limit the larger prints to 150 or 50, and have the smaller ones with an edition of 250.

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2006, 07:16 AM

Hails from United States

Yes that helps very much ....THANK YOU!!!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2006, 10:01 PM
Cape Cod, Massachusetts

Hails from United States

I have learned a great deal from this little thread on limited edition prints. I have one question I hope someone can answer: in the case of limited edition prints on canvas: where/how does one sign? I am considering reproducing a few of my oil paintings in limited editions of giclee prints on canvas... the originals are, of course, signed. I wondered how to sign the "prints?"

Thanks...
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2006, 12:54 PM
menasha, wisconsin

Hails from United States

I usually find a spot that is on the opposite side of the original signature. If not possible, then I sign below the original using Name and edition number/edition size next to it. ( John Smith 15/150)

A lot of artists do not sign their original before they have it scanned or photographed for prints. Then there is only one signiture on it. However, you have no proof of the artist on a print until it is signed... and if you use the digital image from the printer for a website, brochure, advertising etc... again it has not signature on it. It could be anyone's painting. That is my personal preference... other's like only having one signiture on the canvas when they sell prints. Up to you... Nothing is "written in stone" on how it should be done. Hope this helps