WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Internet Sales Strategies
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United Kingdom
Best image size for blog and website images?

As the title says really....what's the best size to allow an image to be good enough to view, but not good enough to pinch and print out.

I see 800 x 600 pixels (or whatever dimensions work out with 800 as the width) as a common size. Is this pretty much a standard by most?

Cheers
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Enthusiast
Napa Valley, California

Re: Best image size for blog and website images?

At 72 ppi, that's over 11 inches wide - which is pretty large...

If you want to make sure people aren't pirating and printing out your images, you might want to go smaller. I probably overdo it (I'll be interested to hear what other people say), but I generally keep mine at 6" on the longest side.

Hoping this is helpful,
Karen
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 05:23 AM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

But printers generally use 200-300dpi, so it's not 11 inches wide if you print it. 72 ppi is a screen resolution, not a print resolution. It'll be about 4 inches wide printed, which is not large.

Inches for an onscreen image isn't relevent - only pixel sizes are. A 6" image at 300dpi and a 6" image at 72dpi will be different sizes onscreen. However, a 600pixel image will show the same size on screen regardless of dpi.

I go for about 600-800 pixels on the longest side, depending on the image. For my small paintings 800pixels would actually show on the screen larger than the original so I keep those about 400-600pixels on the longest side.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member

I'm a little lost with all the technical details, but pixels I understand. I'll stick with the 800 I reckon
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 10:05 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Thanks for the input, Tina... I've been making the longest side 600 pixels for everything but will start to reduce the smaller pieces as suggested.

Diane
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 11:06 AM
Enthusiast
Napa Valley, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelady
But printers generally use 200-300dpi, so it's not 11 inches wide if you print it. 72 ppi is a screen resolution, not a print resolution. It'll be about 4 inches wide printed, which is not large.

You might be surprised at how decent a print you can get at 72 dpi!

It surprised me.

Grappling with technical issues,
Karen
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 11:10 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

I'm with Tina -- 600-800 pixels for my blog.

However, I offer my prints for sale through Fine Art America, and last year they switched to 900 pixel (long side) images on the main product pages. Though I'm still concerned with making such a large image easily available, I'm convinced that those large, clear images have contributed to the sales that I, and so many others, are enjoying there.

'Online' can be a scary place to show your art. The line between protecting your work, and making that work visually appealing to potential buyers is a fine one. It's shocking, really, how well modern printers and software can do with small-ish, low-resolutions images. For instance, my home printer does an excellent job with 100dpi.

I can only read the fine print, hope for the best, and keep a close eye (when possible) on where my work ends up.

EDIT to add -- Yes, what Karen said, above.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 12:31 PM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

Yes Karen, you can get a good print. But it still wouldn't be 11 inches unless you resized it in a photo programme. (A step further - you can print a tiny 72dpi image and then scan it in at something like 1200-2400dpi and get an awesome printed image. )

But my point was more that you were misunderstanding an important difference between inches and pixels, and print vs screen resolutions.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Enthusiast
Napa Valley, California

Thanks, Tina - I do understand what you're saying. A 6" image at 72 dpi works out to 432 pixels, which is within the size you're using for your small paintings. I've been doing some 5" x 7" miniatures lately, too, and don't particularly want the screen size larger than the originals.

The difference is just that, although I'm resizing them at 72 ppi, I'm thinking in terms of inches rather than pixels. I'll consider whether I should rethink that. I know a lot of folks use 800 pixels for the largest size, but I have concerns as to how well that can be reproduced without our knowing it. For 3-D work, it's one thing, but for the image of a painting or photo, it's another....

Maybe 600 pixels wouldn't be too bad.... I know the images on my website are a little on the small side - it works for the blog, but is not so good in the slide show. Thanks for giving me lots to think about!

Appreciatively,
Karen
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2017, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

I know this is an old thread -- I'm never quite sure whether it's best to resurrect such a thread or start a new one. If the moderators would prefer I start a new one, please let me know.

Anyway, I'm wondering if thinking has evolved since this thread, in which most participants argued for fairly small image sizes. I want to open a website simply to showcase my portfolio (oil, gouache & watercolor paintings, charcoal drawings) for collectors and galleries. I don't currently plan to sell prints of my work, though that could change. I know there's debate about watermarking and disabling right-clicking; I'm not inclined to do either. I also incline toward somewhat larger images: maybe 800 pixels wide or wider. I do plan to limit resolution to 72 dpi, though.

Is this a bad plan? Some people seem to follow it. James Gurney, for example, routinely posts huge pictures of his own work on his site. He sells a digital app of his work, and yet he's not worried about people downloading fairly big copies of his paintings. I'm no James Gurney (yet!), but I sorta like his approach. What do you all think?

Last edited by Grotius : 06-22-2017 at 02:00 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2017, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member

Well I guess I'm the oddball here because I don't post images larger than 400-450 pixels at the largest side.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2017, 12:03 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for your reply. I've been browsing lots of art sites, and I see some with images in that range, webart.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2017, 07:31 AM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

I'm an oddball in the opposite direction. I have much larger jpgs up on my sites. I think shopify recommended 1200 pixels at 72 dpi for long side. I think this is because they give the option of a display that shows closeups people can move around in. I should probably make them smaller because I'm not using that option.

I'm more concerned about someone grabbing them for display elsewhere than I am about someone printing them out. So far, all I've seen is that someone traced part of one and then made their own image they are selling out of that.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2017, 12:43 AM
Enthusiast
Napa Valley, California

I can understand that Shopify's displays might work well for other kind of non-art images.... I think your concerns are justified, unfortunately; and the larger the image, the more a copyright thief would have to work with.

Wishing you happy brushes,
Karen
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2018, 08:58 AM

As someone whose had images stolen and made into canvas prints for sale, I can speak of the hurt it brings. And those images weren't large or hi res by any means, so I believe that the thief was able to enhance/enlarge the image digitally in some way? Now I always watermark my pictures using Photoshop in two or three different places. Even then a determined thief would probably be able to Photoshop these out if they really wanted to. I suppose it's a form of flattery in a way.