WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2003, 01:21 PM
A WC! Legend
Land of the Bluish, Smoking Mountains

Hails from United States
Thumbs up Eureka!! Figuired out around the world encasing with no bubbles!

I am so excited to have found this,and since I know this is one of the hardest things to do, I'm sharing this with you. I sure hope you can figuire it out from my chicken scratch picture and my description, because it SOOOOOO works!

Look at my pic here, nothing fancy:

You will see I've drawn a barrel bead to encase, THEN I show the encasing. If you look at your encased bead, you will notice trapped air in the seperate layers of encasing glass that you've applied. The secret that I've found is this: After you apply the encasing glass, turn your torch flame down, and starting at the point where you stopped the encasing glass, on the end where you stopped, heat the end of the channel that was made. You slowly work your way, following the air channel with your flame, until you get to the other end (which is where you started to encase). LOOK at the channel and WATCH the air travel down, WATCH the layers of glass in that channel fill in, pushing the air all the way to the end of the bead, You will have encased with NOT ONE BUBBLE! It may take you several try's, if you go too fast with your flame down the channel, you will find trapped air. All I can say is WATCH the air traveling down the little channel and you'll have it made!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2003, 01:28 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States
OH boy!!!
cool.

Mike E
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2003, 01:37 PM
Lord of the Arts
Colorado

Hails from United States
Lenda, you are such a terrific lady. I love you - your are so eager and willing to share your knowledge to help all of us, and you are such a sunny person who can brighten up the dreariest day! Thank you!!!

Want to know more about me? Check out my user profile.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2003, 01:43 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
San Francisco Bay Area

Hails from United States
Lenda,

What a cool idea!

Thanks for sharing that ! I can't wait to go home and try it.
Etsy
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2003, 01:59 PM
A Local Legend
Grand Rapids, Michigan

Hails from United States
Yippee!! I'll be trying that out later today!!! Thanks Lenda - great illustration BTW!

Nancy
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2003, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Northeast Ohio USA, by the Cuyahoga River Valley

Hails from United States
Lenda!

That makes so much sense! Thank you.

The only way that I've found to work with the Lausha clear on my QT is to make stringers out of it, right when I put on a new can of Mapp gas. I then use the STRINGERS later to wrap, otherwise it is way too stiff. Needless to say, I get quite a few bubbles (but a lot of practice wrapping).

Rose
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2003, 04:42 PM
Enthusiast
Boise, Idaho

Hails from United States
Lenda, I must try! Great tip!! Thanks for sharing!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2003, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Northeast Georgia

Hails from United States
I've been working madly on the perfect encasing. Can't wait to give this a try. You are my hero Lenda! Thank YOU!

Andie
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2003, 05:40 PM
A Local Legend
Across Puget sound From Seattle

Hails from United States
LENDA...I love you...sigh...will try this next time at the torch...my large encased beads suffer from this and I can heat the surface of the bead while I am encasing...it ruins the effect.
did I mention how much I LOVE YOU!

CATS! can't live with them, Can't live without them!
Why do they lay in your path and refuse to move out of your way and then complain bitterly when you trip over them?
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2003, 06:01 PM
Lord of the Arts
The Mountains of Pennsylvania

Hails from United States
Thanks Lenda! I have so much problem encasing that I very seldom do it. Can't wait to give this a try!!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2003, 06:17 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
<=======Blushing from all the LOVE going 'round here!!!

OK, guys, just a tip. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, make your best bead and try this out, cause you may not get the results you want at first. This technique DOES take some you know what!! Practice! So , just make a small barrel or something and play with the encasing, the heating of the air channels is the hard part to learn, BUT, you will get it!!!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2003, 07:03 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
OK i havent tried it yet but a question...I really have more creases...where the glass overlaps and not really channels but end up with bubbles...I know if I heated the surface of the bead with the encasing layer that could be resolved...it is the lines on the surface...not really air channels that cause me problems...have you noticed if this has helped?

I will get back to you on this...I still love you!

Why do they lay in your path and refuse to move out of your way and then complain bitterly when you trip over them?
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2003, 07:38 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Right, Ingridh, where the glass overlaps, but on the surface of the bead itself, under the encasing, that's where the trapped air is, in the channels inbetween the encasing rows. Each row would overlap the previous one, so yes there would be surface lines, but they're different than the ones inbetween the bead and encasing. I wouldn't think you would be able to trap air on the surface of the bead, because when that is melted, there isn't anyway to trap air there. Try it and see how you can "WATCH" the air move, Or when done incorrectly, you will watch the "LINE" of trapped air that didn't move turn into a bubble. My point is to REALLY watch what's happening with your bead. If it starts to get too hot, STOP-let it cool-and start again where you see the line. This is especially important when you are starting and stopping on both ends of the bead, you don't want to mess up your pucker or your barrel or bicone end.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2003, 09:32 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Thanks Lenda...will do ;-)

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2003, 08:34 AM
Loxahatchee / Palm Beach, Florida

Hails from United States
Ahhhhh, Master Lenda....very cool, I am going to try your method...because Lord knows mine isn't working!! I hung out yesterday with your friends Christine and Melody~ they said you are the "Master Queen" of encasing Thanks for the knowledge, Leisa