WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2003, 01:34 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
This is great information. Now I can't wait to see you get started on the painting

#17   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2003, 01:58 PM
A WC! Legend
Lawn Guylind

Hails from United States
he is a cutie...reminds me of mine at that age...

I'm amazed I haven't turned grey yet...of course my daughter hasnt hit her teen years yet...so...

just as an aside, I show the customer a photo with all corrections...I manipulate the photo in photoshop and so have a fairly good idea of how it will look finished.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2003, 04:20 PM
Claremore, Oklahoma

Hails from United States
I can't wait!

And thanks for the description of your initial meeting and the paperwork you take with you. It really marks you as a professional and someone who instills confidance. I'm printing off your information to put in my book.

~~*Brenda*~~
"I will not forget you... I have held you in the palm of my hand." --Is. 49:13-16
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2003, 08:21 PM
Immortalized
Toronto

Hails from Canada
Awesome process, LeAnne! It will be interesting to see how the portrait takes shape...
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2003, 08:42 PM
Immortalized
Damascus, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Thanks, LeAnne for you answer and you as well, arlene for your input! Waiting to see the next stage.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2003, 08:44 PM
A Local Legend
her own little world in Central Alberta

Hails from Canada
*shudder*

I just HATE commissions because I am the Queen of angst

you look like you are doing just fine though LeAnne and all your decisions are very well thought out....you have a lucky client!!

em

artist ~ creator of art: somebody who creates art, especially paintings, drawings, or sculptures

Have you used the Award System today?
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2003, 02:34 AM
Lord of the Arts
Cambridgeshire

Hails from United Kingdom
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

Thank you so much LeAnne for taking the time to explain every step of the process you go through when accepting a commission, it is far from boring, infact it is very interesting!

I love the composition and pose you decided on -now HURRY UP!!! I can't wait to see the next update.....PURLEEEEEEAAASE!!!

Big Hugs,

ALI
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2003, 06:03 AM
Utrecht, The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands
Ditto! what Alli said.

All of the pics of this charming little boy would make interesting CP paintings. I can imagine it would be hard to choose the right one!

OK, We're waiting for Chapter 2

What is it you like so much about the drafting film?

Judy - who does not do portraits...
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2003, 10:36 AM
A WC! Legend
Lawn Guylind

Hails from United States
and just to make you more angst ridden, i'm putting this in the hall of fame...
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2003, 10:50 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
San Tan Valley, Arizona

Hails from United States
Hey, whats taking so long????

LOL

Looks like you have your work cut out for you, for sure. I'm glad you didn't choose the pic next to the juke box, he looks alot older in that one, but would be cute if you leaned him against it.

just gunna hang around and watch ya work, have fun!

TJ
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2003, 11:18 AM
A Local Legend
Back in The Land of Poopy Diapers

Hails from United States
I am NOT a fast worker folks. For example, the last 2 nights, I've done no artwork at all. Plus, I have a couple other pieces I'm working on (I don't multi-task well). So, chances are good that you won't see any updates until the weekend.

Judy, I like the drafting film because it is more transluscent than tracing paper, so you can stack pieces on top of each other to arrange the composition and move elements. For example, if you know you want a fairy and a flower in a piece, you can draw them on separate pieces of film and then place one on top of the other, moving them around until you get the positions right, then put another piece of film over it and trace off the full thing.

Also, it's very stiff and holds up well to erasing and abuse. It takes ink and pencil with ease. I used to do a lot of my sketches on tracing paper because it saved me a step of tracing off the design. The paper never held up well though. I've seen other art instruction books where the artist talks about matte acetate. Kullberg does in her latest book. I think drafting film is very similar or may be the same thing.

I should note that I'm not sure how well the drafting film does with graphite transfer. I tend to transfer my sketches by windowing (lightbox) or by projector. So, I'm not sure how the stiffness of the film might affect a graphite transfer.

Last edited by Elankat : 11-04-2003 at 11:34 AM.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2003, 11:26 AM
Springhill, Kansas

Hails from United States
thanks for all of your explanations of your process - I was especially interested in the drafting film that you use, & how you use it - I'd like to try that - sounds REAL useful!
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2003, 05:51 PM
Chicago, IL

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Elankat

Judy, I like the drafting film because it is more transluscent than tracing paper, so you can stack pieces on top of each other to arrange the composition and move elements. For example, if you know you want a fairy and a flower in a piece, you can draw them on separate pieces of film and then place one on top of the other, moving them around until you get the positions right, then put another piece of film over it and trace off the full thing.

Also, it's very stiff and holds up well to erasing and abuse. It takes ink and pencil with ease. I used to do a lot of my sketches on tracing paper because it saved me a step of tracing off the design. The paper never held up well though. I've seen other art instruction books where the artist talks about matte acetate. Kullberg does in her latest book. I think drafting film is very similar or may be the same thing.

I should note that I'm not sure how well the drafting film does with graphite transfer. I tend to transfer my sketches by windowing (lightbox) or by projector. So, I'm not sure how the stiffness of the film might affect a graphite transfer.

When you say "drafting film" are you referring to "mylar"??? Is it plastic with a frosted drawing surface??? When you use ink can you erase it with a moist eraser??? Do you buy it from a drafting supply house???

Robert Julian Studios

9 out of 10 farm animals recommend you eat more chicken

I am here to learn. Do not hesitate to comment.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2003, 06:01 PM
A Local Legend
Back in The Land of Poopy Diapers

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by I'm Not Bob

When you say "drafting film" are you referring to "mylar"??? Is it plastic with a frosted drawing surface??? When you use ink can you erase it with a moist eraser??? Do you buy it from a drafting supply house???

I haven't tried erasing the ink with a moist eraser, but is like a frosted plastic. I buy it at my local Utrecht and the drawers have it labeled as "Drafting Film." I just looked it up on the website and here's what I buy...except I buy single sheets instead of cartons of 100.

Grafix Drafting Film
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2003, 02:36 PM
Urban Southeastern US/OK Atlanta

Hails from United States
LeAnne, this is wonderful. You handle this so professionally. Wow!
Its especially interesting since some very good friends just asked (again) if I would do portraits of their two sons.
I'm thinking, "Is there any way I could be as organized and professional about it as you have shown in this thread?"
I wish I could. I will be watching...

My art and garden site