WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Watercolor Studio
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2010, 11:53 PM
A WC! Legend
Mt Nebo Queensland Australia

Hails from Australia
Gouache Corner - October 2010 - Anything goes!

Hello everyone!

October is to be a "paint what you want" month.

However, if you're like me, it's good to get a bit of inspiration served up as a kick-start.

So here goes.
Firstly Lynns (LynnM) BEAUTIFUL grandmother ...

Then Roberts Porte des lions at the Louvre

and his beautiful backlit rose

Hal (Halthepainter) has sent these lovely landscapes from Great Bay Salt Marshes in New Hampshire

My contribution will be a blue-eyed honeyeater in a grevillia tree

and a waterlily blooming in the geodesic dome (tropical hothouse) we have at the Gardens Bot. here in Brisbane

and Paynesville yacht harbour (Gippsland Lakes in Victoria) from the early morning car ferry.

and since Roberts shots in September are so inspiring .. here they are again!

Please do not feel constrained to just use these images ... paint anything you like ... as long as it is GOUACHE It's a free for all!
My Flickr Site

Last edited by doppler : 10-01-2010 at 12:02 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2010, 12:59 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States
Re: Gouache Corner - October 2010 - Anything goes!

Wow! Beautiful photos to use, if we want to. Thanks to ALL for your contributions!

I have some ideas...but I'm not sure how soon I'll get to them. I have some writing deadlines coming up this month.

One possible plan is to continue working on my still life paintings. I have some lovely apples I want to paint. Fall fruits and veges just seem so natural.

Another idea I've been toying with is to paint HUMMINGBIRDS life sized, perhaps using some wonderful gold watercolor paint I have. I did this in pastel years ago and loved it, but now I suspect that gouache would be even more suited to it. (There's an article here you can look at--oops! It seems only to have the first page. Probably a glitch from the migration. Oh well, you can see the gold watercolor powder and how it looks... Neat stuff!)

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone does this month in our free for all.
Gouache Blog
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2010, 01:28 AM
WC! Guide
near Auvers sur Oise

Hails from France

Thanks Annie for the selection it is difficult to choose I like the portrait I tink I ll try the bird
See you guys
Robert
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2010, 09:25 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

I think I'll give the lion a try and at least one of my salt marsh images.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Los Angeles, California

Hails from United States

Annie, thanks so much for hosting October. The pictures are fantastic, I'll get at it as soon as I get finished the revisions to Robert's picture of the pond, and the previous one I did of the New Castle estuary.
EDGAR DEGAS
"If you ignore beauty you will soon find yourself without it.But, if you invest in beauty it will remain with you all the days of your life"
FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2010, 03:47 PM
A WC! Legend
ARIZONA/COLORADO

Hails from United States

Great photos Annie. If I paint the waterlily from Gardens Bot, do I need to include your reflection? No after watching that bird show from Australia, I think I'll try the bird. I also like the 3rd picture of Hal's. Happy painting everyone.............Lenore
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW, What a ride! Anonymous -MRSBB (Lenore)
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2010, 05:15 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Omaha, NE

Hails from United States

Thanks Annie for hosting us again! The photo selection looks fabulous!

Currently I'm working on---guess what---another portrait. This one is from a photo I snapped in August of a Cajun group that sang at a Saturday Farmers' Market. I have cropped out a single singer to focus on. When I am ready to post, I will also post the photo. I may post about midway through my progress to be able to get the good advice of you wonderful people here.

Lynn, your grandmother is beautiful! I love the oval frame and can't wait to see what you do with it.

Robert, your lion is magnificent! as are your photos of Giverny. Actually, all the photos are superb and if I can pull myself away from portraiture, I may jump in and try one of them. No promises, though. Right now the portrait bug has me hooked!

Hi Lenore, Jose, Hal, and Deborah. Deborah I'd sure like to be able to see page two of your article. Maybe the powers-that-be will be able to find and restore it.

Happy painting all!
“If you’re not prepared to be wrong you’ll never come up with something original.” Sir Ken Robinson’s TED talk.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2010, 05:42 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Judy, I don't recall if this was the actual painting, but here's one like it.

He's a male Costa's hummingbird, in pastel, 5x5". The bird's wing was measured to be life-sized--which means this image is a little larger than real life! I'd love to try a few of these in gouache! Do they make iridescent gouache, does anyone know?
Gouache Blog
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2010, 06:00 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Deb .. what a great project. I don't know about iridescent gouache but there are iridescent watercolour paints ... Daniel Smith I think ... that you could mix with your gouache.

Judy, I'm looking forward to seeing your portrait.

Lenore ... it's a free for all! You can paint the waterlily any which way you want
My Flickr Site
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2010, 11:27 PM
WC! Guide
near Auvers sur Oise

Hails from France

Hi Deb W&N make a transparent iridesent Watercolor medium it should mix with gouache or glaze over it
Robert
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2010, 01:05 AM
Lord of the Arts
Marin Co., California

Hails from United States

Hi everyone! I hope to participate more fully this month, after rushing and posting my clouds on the last day of September Gouache Corner!

I'll be picking one of Hal's landscape photos, thanks for contributing them Hal.

Deb- I am not sure how well the transparent iridescent watercolors that Daniel Smith and WN make would work with opaque gouache, I'm assuming the particle size in the watercolor paint is finer and the larger particle size of the gouache pigments might not show the "shimmer" (this is purely a guess, maybe it would work). However, to be sure, Holbein makes a few "pearl" colors, and the Pearl Gold might match what you are looking for. I have not used the pearlescent colors, but so far, Holbein is my favorite brand of gouache (I only started working with gouache very recently, so that may change ). Here is a link to a paint out swatch of the Pearl Gold on the Blick website: http://www.dickblick.com/items/00813-9251/

Barbara

Last edited by Barbara WC : 10-02-2010 at 01:11 AM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2010, 03:20 AM
WC! Guide
near Auvers sur Oise

Hails from France

Hi Deborah I did this swatch for you it might help others too I use bunt umber gouache and W&N watercolor iridescent medium the left test is the medium mixwe within the gouache , the right one is a glaze over it by adjusting the amount and water I think you can get what is required

It looks better IRL than on the photo accoding to the light direction

Robert

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2010, 03:33 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Welcome Barbara - you are probably right about mixing watercolours with gouache. The transparent may well be overwhelmed by the opaque.

Robert you may have hit on something there!

Here's my first "free for all". My great grandmother circa 1920 ... photo first .. so that I can have some suggestions.

My attempt ...

It's looking a bit muddy to me here - not sooo bad IRL. I'll let it rest before I tinker anymore. I haven't quite got the shyness or shape of her eyes or her mouth either.

Lynn ... a warm up exercise
My Flickr Site

Last edited by doppler : 10-02-2010 at 03:36 AM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2010, 05:12 AM
A WC! Legend
ARIZONA/COLORADO

Hails from United States

Looks good Annie and I can see a resemblance in you and her. I do notice that (?) thing between the nose and mouth is turned off to the left and that may be what is throwing the mouth off. You have caught a very intense look in her eyes and I like that more than the softer look in the photo. Makes her more interesting IMO. Maybe the mouth should be a little wider, but not much. Good job...........Lenore
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW, What a ride! Anonymous -MRSBB (Lenore)
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2010, 07:09 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Lenore .. thank you .. her top lip is wrong .. that's supposed to be the furrow between nose and lip and yes .. it is diverging ... her mouth is NOT wide enough .. and it is a bit too much outlined and a lot not like her. There's no pursed lips in the photo .. theres a soft gap of a shyly opening mouth to a smile and the corners of the mouth are not recessed so much . I'll tinker .. but may well restart this one ..

I'm off to read again about values.
My Flickr Site

Last edited by doppler : 10-02-2010 at 07:13 AM.