WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1246   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2010, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada
Re: Art Supply Addicts Anonymous 2010!

"Do you guys keep yourself from impulsively buying stuff you want but don't really "need"? "

Ummm, NO.

Hence the title of the thread.

The way I see it is, you don't have those sketchbooks yet, therefore, you NEED them!
And so do I!
Thanks so much for posting that link, I've bookmarked it, and will be ordering soon! How great that the wonderous Stonehenge comes in a sketcher's book now! Eeeeee, I'm all giddy!

My new Dot books came today, yay! I ordered one for a friend, and they arrived just in time for the long weekend. We can sit and paint, and order pizza, ahhh, relaxing....

Cheers all,
D.
  #1247   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2010, 07:27 PM
California

Hails from United States

great chart!
(wow, I have not posted since forever, now it says I am a new member even when I have been a member since 2004.)

Last edited by live4art : 09-03-2010 at 07:31 PM. Reason: added text
  #1248   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Enthusiast
South Central Ontario

Hails from Canada

Yes restraint is not an attribute that comes easily to the art supply addict. Generally the only thing keeping us in check is the bank account. Gee D. pizza and painting sounds good. Will there be brown bottle pop or wine sipping included. Maybe we could arrange a paintoff with all of us that got the dot book. You know pick a time, pick a page, order the pizza, pour the beer and GO!! Could be a new trend.
  #1249   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member

BOOKS

Sandra I forgot to mention that I have found some good art tutorials and fine arts book deals at Abe Books abebooks.com and at my local store, Powells, which ships. Powells.com is searchable and you can find different used copies of good books there too. For example, Abe Books has relationships with all sorts of book sellers, from well established bookstores to Goodwill. So, if you don't mind buying used, Abe Books and Powell's might also be good places for you to shop too.

PAN PASTEL CHART
It was wonderful to post the pan pastel chart. Sorry that they sent you duplicates. Can you do something about that? Will you get the colors you should have? They look really lovely. Sometimes, the right color sample chart can be something worth hanging on the wall and admiring. That's likely the art supply addict in me talking. But still, it's a very pretty chart! I am hypnotized by color charts in various catalogs I get particularly the Daniel Smith.

ADDICTION
Thanks for everyone's comments re being an art supply addict. Yeah, I belong here. It's likely that I will buy one or two of the Stonehenge sketchbooks. They looks so solid.. AND wire bound and most important, they're Stonehenge. What's not to like? I do not need and will not really take much advantage of new colors right now since I am learning to draw. And I have a bazillion colors already. Still, addicts can rationalize all sorts of ridiculous purchases.

Abby

Last edited by big foot : 09-03-2010 at 09:48 PM.
  #1250   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Resting in Peace
US

Hails from United States

Thanks Abby for the suggestion. I use mostly Amazon and ebay for used books. I don'tbuy new ones unless there is no option. I bought 10 a couple of nights ago and only spent like $50 total.

I'm not an art addict. I'm searching for the best media to prepare myself to becoming a full time artist. It's necessary tools, guys and gals.

For those who are interested in my markers purchase recently, and Koh I noor negro pencil, and Cretacolor charcoal lead, I did a few sample pieces that are showable. Go here. Also there is my first decent piece from the planes of head model.

Last edited by gakinme : 09-03-2010 at 09:56 PM.
  #1251   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

And then there's the Swap Shop here on WC and selling on Craig's List or eBay for those occasional errors in judgment..

I am excited for you Sandra. It makes so much sense for you to be a full time artist. You're enormously talented and so keen to experiment with new ways of rendering anything, mixing media, trying out altogether new media, new subjects in your imagination and infinite points of reference that you also seem altogether open to. You will always have a fresh energetic take on anything you do. At least that's what I see. So, YAY. Go for it!!

I think you're right. A certain disciple and pragmatism is a good thing along with adventurousness and playfulness. Addiction isn't anything I aspire to. And I do need to be careful about what I buy. Most of the time, I can convince myself that I have enough - for now. I will eventually have to buy copies of the drawing tutorial books I keep renewing from the library especially if they are in demand all of the sudden and I have to return them asap. But they're not expensive.
  #1252   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2010, 10:56 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Judy, I'm sure they'll send you the three missing colors if you report that. I can't remember where you got it, of course if it was eBay they probably can't but Blick or Jerry's, the big online stores always replace factory packing errors like that. Meanwhile, you've got most of the colors to play with! Great chart you made. Enjoy!

Sandra, very cool Planes of the Head model. I'm tempted to get that or something else like a plaster statue sometime... dithering between that and finding a small plaster classical nude to draw from. Cool sketchbooks and that's a neat book that came with Planes of the Head too.

Dragoon and Sandra - yes, I will be trying gouache in it. Not this weekend, but I will try it and post the results edited into the review or in a follow-up to the review. I also want to try other Derwent pencils in it, Coloursoft, Artist, Inktense and so on.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #1253   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2010, 11:03 PM
Enthusiast
South Central Ontario

Hails from Canada

Yes it was Jerry's part of my Luminance set that was backordered and finally came. Good thing it was backordered because I kept adding to the order and ended up with a big one but lots of cool stuff to play with. I like the charts because checking it when doing a painting helps to know exactly what to expect. I ordered two 20 pan trays but they have not come yet so waiting for that next. It will make it easier to find the colours. I like the stacks but makes it difficult to find what you are looking for. I have something in mind for my first experiment with them but have to work a bit in the next couple of days so might not be until later in the week. Fun all around.
  #1254   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2010, 01:14 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by gakinme

I'm not an art addict. I'm searching for the best media to prepare myself to becoming a full time artist. It's necessary tools, guys and gals.

GREAT motto for us, I love it Sandra!
  #1255   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2010, 09:43 AM

Could You Please Explain What The "dot Books" Are? I Don't Know What They Are But I Probably Need Need Them! Thanks
  #1256   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Enthusiast
South Central Ontario

Hails from Canada

Painterhock It is a watercolour project book put out by Daniel Smith, you can see it here It provides numerous projects using various three colour combinations. Depending on the one you choose it has a combination of DVD which explains the project steps, a book with information about it, a pad of watercolour paper, a brush and the "dots" of the three paints used to do the project. It is a lovely set for just plain practice, learning or trying out the various colours Daniel Smith offers.

Last edited by lonelm : 09-04-2010 at 10:33 AM.
  #1257   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

DOTS - Daniel Smith Watercolor Project

Painterhock (and everyone else!)

Check out the following..

http://www.facebook.com/pages/DANIEL...ls/98091978870

It is the link to Daniel Smith's Facebook page. Scroll for the August 27 entries. You can see Daniel Smith giving a nice shout out to Robert for his detailed review of their Watercolor Project Book (with the paint dot samples and painting lessons) Also, Robert has done an excellent detailed review of the DOTS, Watercolor Project Book.
  #1258   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2010, 01:33 PM

Thumbs up Re: Art Supply Addicts Anonymous 2010!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelm
Painterhock It is a watercolour project book put out by Daniel Smith, you can see it here It provides numerous projects using various three colour combinations. Depending on the one you choose it has a combination of DVD which explains the project steps, a book with information about it, a pad of watercolour paper, a brush and the "dots" of the three paints used to do the project. It is a lovely set for just plain practice, learning or trying out the various colours Daniel Smith offers.

Thanks for the prompt and helpful replies.
  #1259   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Resting in Peace
Norfolk, Virginia

Hails from United States

Fellow Junkies,

I've come across several pretty good deals in art supplies. I can't take advantage of them right now as I need a new computer. An acquaintance of mine asked me to sell his new unused supplies. This is the same person who sold me the Rembrandt pastels I recently bought.

Here's what he's turning loose, all new and unused.

Wooden box set of 36 Sennelier Lagrande oil pastels. $100

Sennelier soft pastels 100 count in wooden box Portrait Set. $125
Sennelier soft pastels 100 count in wooden box Landscape Set. $125
Both sets for $200

Mt. Vision Soft Pastels 10 boxes of 25 each total of 255 pastels. $300

Holbein Wooden Box Set of 255 oil pastels. $350

Lucas 1862 Oil color set. $255

See the set here: http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discou...Color-Sets.htm

Prices negotiable for purchases of more than one set.

Shipping is extra on all sets. Send me a PM if interested.
  #1260   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2010, 04:23 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Germany

Wow, cool new toys, everyone!

I was busy sewing... (Got the idea here.)

These two wraps hold my full set of Polychromos, but I have a couple more to make before all my pencils have a home... For the other wraps, I have felt in dark green and bordeaux, so it'll be colourful business...