WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Library > Oil Pastel Tools and Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2009, 01:49 PM

Re: Different surfaces for OPs

I'm wondering about Ampersand Gessobord versus gesso covered masonite. Any big differences? Art Supply Warehouse sells both at staggeringly different price points. For example, an 18x24 Gessobord goes for $14, while a dozen 18x24 gesso covered masonite panels go for $66. Anyone have any experiences using either of them? Any help here is appreciated.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2009, 04:52 PM
the coast in MA

Hails from United States

Yes, I have used both. I recently purchased 24 x 36 gessoed boards from ampersand and then had DH cut them to the size I wanted. I then realized that I could gesso my own masonite a lot cheaper. Now I buy a sheet of masonite and DH cuts it to the size I want and then I apply a couple of coats of gesso.
Much cheaper and the result is the same.

Pat
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2010, 06:58 PM

hi,

Successful surfaces include, old style St. Armand Sabertooth, Colorfix paper, Senneliers oil pastel pads. Self primed surfaces with acrylic underpaintings, Colorfix primer, Acrylic Gesso , acrylic gesso/marble dust, acrylic matte medium, acrylic matte medium/marble dust, matte medium/gesso/marble dust, matte medium/acrylic modeling paste (all with or without acrylic color mixed in) with either archival watercolor or printmaking papers, archival watercolor board, museum board, masonite panels, archival foam board (coat all on both sides to minimize buckling and/or warping) Also canvas paper, primed canvas mounted on masonite. You can also work over water based mediums given a barrier coat of clear acrylic medium, acrylic paintings sealed if needed, dried oil paintings or work done in oil sticks on the proper supports and grounds. Surfaces I stay away from because of lack of archival qualities and the possibility of the oil and thinners penetrating and destroying the support include any uncoated papers including the colored papers sold for pastel and drawing, regular matt board, canvas boards, regular foam core , regular canvas boards and illustration board. I've used these surfaces for play , practice, and roughs but not for finished pieces. If I can't find a colored support in the colored sanded or primed surfaces available then I just make my own. I usually coat at least three supports with my own mixtures. One for testing, one if I blow it, and the other for the finish or an extra for the future. Be careful, wear a mask when adding grits to mediums as to minimize inhaled exposure. You can use marble dust, silicas in different grits from sculpture supply stores, or if you want a super broken texture the sand used for mixing into paint for stairs and non slip surfaces can be bought at the hardware store. Liquitex, Golden Paint, and others now have mediums with all sorts of textures that you can use as a ground for your oil pastel work. Even collaged papers and materials ,given a sturdy support and a barrier type medium can enhance oil pastel pieces. There isn't really any boundries as long as you protect the best choice of support from the desintegrating effects of the medium and solvents you choose to use.