WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > Partner: Chroma, Inc.
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2010, 10:03 PM
Enthusiast

Re: Talk to me about UNLOCKING!

I posted this on the Acrylics Forum but was told I should've posted it here. [Sorry, Charlie's Mum. Once again I screwed up!]

Quote:
Ive been contemplating the Interactives and the unlocking concept. I understand that within a couple of hours, I can just unlock with a spritz of water. And after a day or so, I can unlock using Golden's magic foo-foo spray. My Q deals with the end result. How long after I paint with these magic chemicals will my paint be cured? I mean, fully reacted so that no matter how much unlocking spray I use, the paint will not be unlocked! Ever! In other words, what is the end game on this? phoenix
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2010, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Hi Phoenix!

Thanks for your question! I'm not sure what this "Golden's magic foo-foo spray" is you are referring to, but if you are talking about Interactive and the Unlocking Formula, I can certainly help you out!

With Interactive, artists can generally use water to keep their paint workable or to reopen touch-dry paint for about 1-3 hours. This time frame can go up or down depending on the surface, the humidity, how thickly you paint, and if you incorporated any mediums to work faster or slower.

But after a few hours, or when water doesn't work, you can spray Unlocking Formula onto your Interactive painting and that paint layer will soften and become workable again, enough so you can add or remove color, soften edges, scratch into it, etc. Unlocking Formula generally works for about 7-10 days in the US, but that can go up or down, depending upon the surface, the humidity, how thickly you paint, and if you incorporated any mediums to work faster or slower. For me, based in the Northeast US, as a painter who paints on gessoed, sealed canvas in an impasto manner, that translates into about 10-12 days in the humid summer, and about 7-10 days in the dryer winter.

Now, when I talk about reactivating a layer so it remains workable, I am talking about a usable way, and using standard tools like a rag, brush, my fingers, and a knife. Obviously, if you are using steel wool or sandpaper, you can probably reopen any acrylic layers at any time!

And there are no magic or scary chemicals in Interactive. It's a special acrylic binder blend, one that is soluble but cures over time. The same hold true for the Unlocking Formula. It is isopropyl alcohol based, so no worries there. Interactive is also lightfast, so your beautiful paintings will be as vibrant and beautiful years later as they are when you paint them.

If you have additional questions, feel free to post them or send me a PM. You can also check out Chroma's website, at www.chromaonline.com, where we have tons of info, including a gallery of artwork and teaching videos.

Happy painting!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2010, 10:17 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Lol phoenix - didn't mean you shouldn't post in the main forum, just that you'd get expert knowledge here!!! ...... along with other users' experience in the main forum!!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My saa website**
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Enthusiast

Hey, thanx, jennifer. My biggest fear was spraying a whole bunch of unlocking formula on the pic and finding out that, weeks later, the surface was tacky.

Sorry, Charlie's Mum. I didnt know that I could post directly on the "Partner" forum. I thot that you were telling me not to post these Q's on the regular forum and that I was violating some other aspect of the Member's Oath. phoenix
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2010, 01:12 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My saa website**