WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Artist Marketplace > Gold Partner: F+W Media, Inc. > The Artist's Magazine: Creative Workout
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2010, 09:04 PM

Lost and Found - II

All over the Mississippi Gulf Coast generations of family treasures were lost in Katrina. Residents searched for days founding only bits and pieces of our former lives scattered over miles. Crazy as it sounds we picked those pieces up and put them in boxes. Our hearts were unwilling to throw the objects and memories of our lives away. Memories were all many of us had left.

Since the storm many of my friends have brought me those boxes and asked me to make something to remember their loved ones. They tell me their stories from the past and what each object represents to them. From these stories an idea takes hold and a painting takes shape. They are simple paintings made of memories with love. Katrina taught me that our families are the most precious gifts. They are to be held close and loved each day less they be taken away in the blink of an eye.

One of the effects from Katrina was the tragic loss of wildlife. Normally, southern Mississippi has an abundance of wildlife so its stark absence left a terrible void. I remember the day I saw the first pelican return. I was driving across the I-110 bridge in Biloxi, MS at sunset. A brown pelican glided over head and soared over the water toward the coastline with the sun’s rays lighting its way. It was such a simple act but it was powerful. That memory sparked the creation of this painting. I remember the joy and hope I felt. Katrina taught me that the simple acts are the most precious gifts.

This painting has many layers and takes on a magical personality of its own. It is filled with animals of the Mississippi Gulf Coast and treasures found after Katrina. If my artwork is successful a smile will cross the viewer’s face as they enter the whimsical world of the painting. I hope every time the viewer looks at one this painting they see something new and entertaining.
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Editor

Re: Lost and Found - II

Hello, ssanooc1,

What an evocative piece and story. Thank you so much for sharing both with us. And congratulations for being the first to respond to this creative workout.

Hope to hear from more of you soon!

Holly
The Artist's Magazine