WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada
Re: What brand of paint is best, or worst?

I'm fourthing the Tri-Art paint. I discovered it about 6 months ago and have been replacing all my paint with their brand along with their mediums. I find the paint is great, the prices are comprehensive to other brands and the tech help is amazing. I'm in the middle of trying out their different brands of paint as well as their liquids and inks... not disappointed so far. (I love their opacifying medium... it rocks)
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2009, 07:49 PM
A Local Legend
Punta Gorda FL

Hails from United States

I like Liquitex Heavy Body paints a lot - however I have switched to Chroma Atelier Interactives and in my opinion they are the best paints Ive ever used -thick - creamy and you can do a lot of blending with them and they stay workable longer. Try a couple of tubes and if your painting style uses thck - creamy paint very close to the texture of oils, you will not swtch to any other paint. FANTASTIC PAINT!!!
http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/jr-secor.html
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2009, 08:41 PM
44ļ 44' 14.74" N x 93ļ 13' 09.40"W

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistPete
I prefer FolkArt Artist Pigment bottled Acrylics. -- AppleBarrel and Delta Ceramcoat are good too.

I was please to see I am not the only one that uses FolkArt, Apple Barrel and Delta Ceramacot! I prefer fluid paints and can get 2 fl oz bottles at our local WalMart for about a buck and a half to two bucks a piece.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-24-2009, 03:19 PM

I've been kinda excited lately about the new Golden Opens. But, after being really enthused blending together a few tints, I noticed some definite darkening in some after drying. It's a little peeving to have a paint that allows so much subtlety then shifts colors on you later. ;-(

I guess I have to give the new W&N Artist's Acrylics a shot now, and forgo the extra open time. But...has anyone else noticed how much the features of these sound just like Tri-Art / Quiller Acrylics?

Last edited by a. ladd : 11-24-2009 at 03:22 PM.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2009, 01:36 PM
A Local Legend
Punta Gorda FL

Hails from United States

Give Chroma Atelier Interactives a shot - you'll be glad you did - if you like thick creamy paints that blend just beautifully and stay wet longer than most. They are not "OPEN ACRYLICS", they just stay wet longer and allow for great blending on the substraight.
http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/jr-secor.html
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2009, 10:12 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

My favorite acrylic paints are the Golden line..... I use both the Heavy Body in the tubes and the Fluid Acrylics in the bottle, depending on what I'm doing.

I love their color selection and the consistency of the paint - as well as the quality, available mediums and the wealth of information that they provide - not only on the tubes - but also on their excellent website.... check it out !!

I've also tried the new W&N Artists Acrylic paints and I like them very much also, so I've been adding a few of those in colors that Golden doesn't have or where the color in the W&N line is slightly different from - and IMHO - preferable.

But Golden will remain my mainstay !!
Time to play......
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-12-2009, 12:49 AM

If you were ever even considering Jo Sonja, then I will have to add Cel Vinyl colors to the best list. They are totally unique in the world of acrylics. Absolutely the smoothest, most intense and opaque of all the fluid colors out there. Not the biggest color selection (and only given generic, not proper, pigment names). But they're permanent, durable and have the flattest, mattest finish you could ever ask for. When I went to reorder them, I also just realized how inexpensive they are for the pigment density and covering power they possess. They can also be mixed with other acrylic paints and mediums, with a few exceptions.

I think Golden Opens have potential, but I cannot for the life of me "get" Interactive Acrylics. They still dry relatively fast, and when I try to rewet or unlock them for blending, I get either nothing, a watery puddle of faint color, or the whole layer strips off. But I am impressed with what Blencowe and Wintermantle manages to do with them.
-------------------
BTW, I couldn't find where else to post this, but for you M. Graham fans, there is a video of him and his little business on this GREAT, huge list of Oregon painter videos:

http://www.opb.org/programs/artbeat/...&commit=Search

There are also separate lists for other visual or performing artist at this wonderful site. I wish every state had such a complete record of their arts scene.

Last edited by a. ladd : 12-12-2009 at 01:24 AM.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
NJ

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL
Thanks for the replies guys. Really though, I am not really asking "what kind of paint will make my paintings look better?" Rather, I was wondering about the qualities of the paint regarding its ingredients. For example, does one manufacturer use the highest quality pigments while another tends to use cheap-o stuff.

that is not simple to answer. You need to follow the chemistry as you can. some manufacturer disclose pigment composition.

terms such as HUE ie cad red hue mean they use substitutes.

read labels carefully and don't expect "WN Galleria" line to perform as well as "WN Artist Acrylics"
Liquitex Basics is composed of cheap pigments so students can learn cheaply...thats not bad paint....its inexpensive and it meets the needs of beginners.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
I would stay away from Reeves and Maries, and similar bargain-basement, beginner's-sets types of acrylics, and the student and craft acrylics (and others like these), even though some diehards will defend them, and even though some of the better craft grade acrylics are probably fine for most artists' uses. You often don't quite know what you are getting (in the pigments and binders and fillers and other ingredients). The artist grade paints listed above are a safer, surer bet.
Recently at a competitive art show with cash prizes, the judge sat at my table. He did not know that I had a pic in the show. He emphatically said that acrylics will never last as long as oils, that restorers are having serious peeling problems with acrylic masterworks painted in the 1950s and 1960s, and that the finest art would always be in oils. When someone asked if he could tell the difference between an oil painting and an acrylic one, he laughed and said it was always obvious. No serious artist should ever paint in acrylics.

He then announced the winners. My pic received the blue ribbon and a sizeable cash award.

Before the gathered group of artists, he congratulated me on fine brush strokes and vibrant colors on my excellent oil painting. I smiled, then told him it was acrylic. I continued by saying that I always used Marie and Reeves. [I even buy used paints from ebay.] When I told him that the pic was painted with dollar Chinese brushes on 2 oz Vietnamese cotton duck with cardboard backing, I thought for a moment he was going to take back the ribbon and the check!

So, why do I paint with cheap stuff? I'm an amateur just learning to paint. Like many of the pros on WC have told me, we hobbyists should always consider our works as just practice works. So, why not use the cheap stuff? After all, when I sell something (which I have), I put a label on the back of the pic that always tells the buyer that I'm just an amateur hobbyist and that all my paints and canvases and brushes are the cheapest I can buy. And that the pros have told me to tell the buyer that ultimately these pics will eventually just fall apart. This label advice was promoted and seconded by several WC pros earlier this year.

From all the verbiage on this thread, I still haven't figured out why certain high-priced paints are "safer, surer bets." I was always under the impression that talent and ability are the keys to successful pics, not equipment or materials.