WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Abstract and Contemporary Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2009, 03:01 PM
Enthusiast
Timmins, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: Nov 09 Artist of the Month: Jackson Pollock

Thanks Bike, I will check it out. You are of course right about his state of mind and I still find his life tragic. I praise his technique more than his art, but not his lifestyle, which was a tragedy.

Paint like today is your last day on Earth...
Paint and Pixels are My Preferred Weapons
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Immortalized
sometimes Texas/sometimes Colorado

Hails from United States
Smile Re: Nov 09 Artist of the Month: Jackson Pollock

Mackb- The article in Smithsonian magazine was written by Henry Adams. His wife Marianne Berarsi, who first saw the letters. They were looking at a reproduction of Jackson Pollick's breakthrough work "Mural" an 8 x 20 foot canvas bursting with so much energy, that in 1943 was unlike anything seen before. Mr. Adams the one who wrote the article ; his wife is an art historian; were sitting over breakfast one morning, studing this piece of art, She suddenly was able to make out the letters s-o-n in blackish paint in the upper right area, then realized Jackson ran across the entire top. And finally saw Pollock below that.
The characters are unorthodox, even ambiguous, and largely hidden.Another art historian Sue Taylor stated Pollock often would begin with some sort of figurative device to which he would respond then bury under layers of paint. The "Mural" is is said to be worth $140 million. An earlier painting #5 reportedly sold in 2006 for $140 million, the highest price ever paid for a piece of art.
in regard to Pollock's name in the "Mural", noone has ever published this discovery before, some art expert dispute the idea, others say its plausable and should be tested. "Mural" is one of America's most highly valued artworks.

A bit more then an abstract of the article, but there was so much really good information, in this article. Man, can you imagine having a painting worth $140 million. Whew!

Last edited by tvandeb : 11-29-2009 at 04:59 PM.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Enthusiast
Timmins, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: Nov 09 Artist of the Month: Jackson Pollock

Thanks Tammy for sharing that. That is the kind of info we relish on this thread.

I never knew he put his name under layers of paint. I thot I was the only one who did that. I posted a painting awhile back based on Pollock and I put my signiture under the paint but no one was amused and $140 million?

I can't even get $140 for my paintings up here in blue collar land. In my dreams I would love to sell one painting for a million, just one, I could live on that you know....

I am so glad you posted Tam, do you have any other relevant info for us? Does anyone else have anything regarding Pollock. We are runniong out of time for the month.

Paint like today is your last day on Earth...
Paint and Pixels are My Preferred Weapons