WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watermedia
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2009, 03:37 PM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States
Graphitint- Colored Soluble Graphite Pencils

Derwent's Graphitint Pencils, as of Nov. 2009, come in 24 colors. They are colored graphite pencils, which are wonderful for anything from sketching to a final picture. And of course they can be used with watercolors, watercolor pencils, and whatever else you might think of.

Here is the blurb from Derwent:
"Derwent Graphitint combines the drama and creativity of a graphite pencil with a hint of soft, subtle colour. Used dry, Graphitint offers the merest suggestion of colour; add water and the colour becomes more vibrant. Colour tints range from soft greys, blues, and greens to glowing russets, plums, and browns. The creative possibilities are infinite."

They are very soft, and go on the page very easily. The magical thing about them though, is that when you add water, the colors become vivid and fluid.

They are perfect for taking with you, along with a water brush for sketching. The colors, softness, and texture would also combine quite well with the beautiful Derwent Drawing pencils, which are not water soluable, but are very soft sketching pencils that are terrific for things like fur and feathers, or anything else. You could do a wash with the Graphitints, then use the Drawing pencils on top.

Here is what the outside tin looks like (excuse my name, I am tired of my photos ending up selling someones stuff on ebay).

And next is a photo of the pencils in the container.

My color chart, with the left half of each square the pencil color dry, then the right half the pencil wet.

The next chart shows different ways of using the pencils. You can lay down the pencils dry, then wet them with a brush, as the top row.

You can also add the colors dry, one at a time, then get each color wet as you use it, as shown in the 2nd row.

You can wet the paper, and add your pencil, which works well but does not seem to blend the colors together quite as well. This is shown in the third row.

And lastly, you can keep the paper dry, and dip the pencil in water. This creates a bold stroke, but you have to dip the pencil for every stroke you make, since it dries rapidly.

The next picture is a quick sketch made using the pencils dry on dry paper. The paper was a very rough handmade watercolor paper. A better choice would have been cold pressed watercolor paper. A wet brush was used over the sketch. A few dry marks were placed on top as the last step.

My website http://ColoredPencilInfo.com

Last edited by rue d'oak : 11-30-2009 at 05:28 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2009, 05:23 PM
A Local Legend
Northern Arizona

Hails from United States
Re: Graphitint- Colored Soluble Graphite Pencils

Excellent Linda!

Thanks for taking the time to share that info!

ML

Mary Lou - Fountain Valley, CA
My Reference Photos
"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living; it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." --Dr. Seuss
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2009, 10:28 PM
A WC! Legend
A Californian! Coming Home Soon!

Hails from United States

Really Neat! AND Your Name Actually Adds An Artistic Touch To The Product Image.

Gladys Marie "I'm somewhere...in the future...and I look much better than I look right now!" ...KIM CLEMENT
Too Much Of A Good Thing Is Wonderful!!! ...MAE WEST
*WETCANVAS MEMBER FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD*
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2009, 09:42 AM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Gladys Marie- thanks- if someone would kindly tell me how to do a watermark (I have photoshop and such) I would appreciate it!

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2009, 12:50 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Bravo, Linda! This is such a great information thread. I appreciate seeing the product, your notes, and the color chart. And the Goat of course!

Jen
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Germany

Thanks for posting this, Linda!

For those of you interested in the Graphitint, there are quite a number of threads on them over in Drawing and Sketching (posted some myself including color charts and doodles, dry and wet), you should do a search there... Also, there's this horribly bad lightfastness test - just so no one says I didn't warn you. They're still great for sketches and anything else that doesn't necessarily have to last, of course! (I'll just say "digital originals".)
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2009, 05:22 PM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

thanks Lyta- we are trying to make up a watermedia library of sorts, in which all the possible watermedia are described and so forth. Then perhaps people interested in mixing watermedia can say- oh, I did not think to use that...We can link to your articles too. It would be great to have lots of different watermedia explored here, even though they are covered in some manner elsewhere on the site.

secondly, I have a lot of things I have been meaning to explore in more depth, making color charts for, trying them out, etc. and for me this is the best way to learn about something. and hopefully others who may wonder something about them can learn something too!

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-20-2009, 02:38 AM
Enthusiast
Ashland, OR USA

Hails from United States

How are these different from the Inktense pencils? I have those and love them.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-20-2009, 06:41 AM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Shari- these are totally different....as you know, the inktense pencils are like brilliant vivid ink in a pencil- and the ink comes alive when wet...they are fantastic and bright...I love them too...

but the Colored Graphite pencils here are much more like a soft graphite sketching pencils....except they have subtle color...you can sketch or draw beautifully on the paper, and when you get them wet, they are more colorful and beautiful- but they are softer colors, and the pencil graphite is softer...the lead is thicker in the Graphitints too..(and apparently they are not very light fast!)

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-20-2009, 10:29 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Germany

Shari, Linda already answered your question; just let me add that even wet, the colours of the Graphitint are still much more subtle than those of the Inktense. (Linda's colour chart reads as rather accurate on my screen.) And of course they're not as annoyingly sticky on the paper as the Inktense are and don't form these nasty pigment clumbs after heavily applied layers. You should try them, but only if you like subtle colours.

If you want a bit more colour than the Graphitint give when dry, but not as much as in the wet version, you should try a colourless blender (as in, colourless coloured pencil), this works particularly well on the greens.

I think I recall Robert (robertsloan2) saying that the Graphitint used dry always look a bit eery and thus lend themselves well to morbid stuff... Withering plants? Skulls? Creepy aliens? Gothic rose patterns? These are your pencils!

The greyed colours also make them a good addition to a regular line of watercolour pencils (like the Inktense) which often contain many bright colours and fewer of the near-neutrals (at least in smaller sets).

Btw, I like the idea of the library! If you want any of my threads, just add them, but I don't want to thrust them upon you, just decide what you need.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-20-2009, 11:43 AM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyta
I think I recall Robert (robertsloan2) saying that the Graphitint used dry always look a bit eery and thus lend themselves well to morbid stuff... Withering plants? Skulls? Creepy aliens? Gothic rose patterns? These are your pencils!

Lyta- this is just too funny....I have heard Derwent's Drawing pencils called the 'fur and feather' pencils, so now we have the Derwent 'creepy' pencils

I need to point out that I am a great art supply collector (addict really) - and a true master at none of them- so Lyta- your expertise is greatly needed and appreciated....as is everyone else's....I am just trying to get the ball rolling for me (and others) to use these things I bought for 'someday'

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Germany

If you combine them, you can draw creepy furry feathers.

(Jokes aside, the Graphitint and Drawing DO combine very well when you use them dry.)

I'm more of a collector than an expert myself, but here are my colour chart and doodles, one of them with an additional photo of a half-wetted state:

Dry - for those of you who still underestimate the colour intensity of the dry pencils:

Wet - the paper gave out on me, but I still rather like this:

And here's a link to more stuff:

My original Graphitint-all-purpose thread.

A wet technique for Graphitint and other stuff, the example being done in Graphitint.

Sketchbook pages, one of them done with Graphitint.

I can re-post these images to this thread if you'd prefer that, but I don't think it's necessary...
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-23-2009, 04:58 PM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Lyta- thanks so much for adding such a large amount of fantastic info to this thread! now everyone will get so much more out of it! the pics and the links are great!

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2010, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
east coast

Hails from United States

I see absolutely no similarity to graphite with these Graphitints. If you use them right next to the same color in a water sol colored pencil, there is no difference. They are colored pencils in muted shades in my opinion. Decent colored pencils, But I thought I was getting something different - a tinted graphite pencil.

I will use them, and feel they are good quality, but I didn't need any more colored pencils, I already have over 200, so I am a little disappointed in them. If I had known, I would have spent the money on a bigger set of the Derwent Drawing pencils you mention above, those I LOVE, I have chocolate, sanguine, terracotta, black, and maybe an ochre color, and use them all the time.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2010, 06:11 PM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp
I see absolutely no similarity to graphite with these Graphitints. If you use them right next to the same color in a water sol colored pencil, there is no difference. They are colored pencils in muted shades in my opinion. Decent colored pencils, But I thought I was getting something different - a tinted graphite pencil.

I will use them, and feel they are good quality, but I didn't need any more colored pencils, I already have over 200, so I am a little disappointed in them. If I had known, I would have spent the money on a bigger set of the Derwent Drawing pencils you mention above, those I LOVE, I have chocolate, sanguine, terracotta, black, and maybe an ochre color, and use them all the time.

Hi- to me these draw much more like a graphite pencil (much softer easier lay down) than a colored pencil....they go on fast and smooth, being so soft, and the main thing that is wonderful about them is what happens when you get them wet. If you don't get them wet, I would not be excited about them at all!

Did you try yours wet?

I agree for drawing dry, the derwent drawing pencils are simply fabulous!!