WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > The Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2009, 09:51 AM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States
Re: Caput Mortuum

I must get up to speed with the color evaluation programs, no I haven't, but I copied Jim's chart zoomed in on the mars violets then opened mine over it so I could compare them right side by side, I think it looks similar to the two violets considering all the subtle differences between our whites used, cameras, lighting, etc. The Caputs I believe are a litte more murky or dark though the values are all 2 by Jim's chips.
BTW I am still not exactly clear on what the diff would be between a 5R and a 7.5R regarding hue only. Is a 7.5 closer to RP and would a 2R be more orange?
The only Caput near me is Old Holland at Utrecht and I don't want to send an order to Vasari for one tube so I may get the OH, I will tint it out next to the WN mars violet when I do. These are stong tinters and should last me a long time.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2009, 06:02 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidbledsoe
I must get up to speed with the color evaluation programs...
If you don't have a copy of Photoshop, GIMP is available for free and will do everything you need.

One of the things programs like this are so valuable for is to identify the actual hue of something in an image and compare it to your impression of the hue, which can be surprisingly off at times! Here, although I think it's easy to judge the hue of the masstone as orangey (if not a little more accurately than that) the tints appear more violet than they are. In the photo the lightest tint is not even close to the hue of magenta despite how it might appear.

This is one of the well-known colour illusions with dull reds, which can often appear significantly more violet than they actually are; similar to how dark or dull yellows look green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidbledsoe
BTW I am still not exactly clear on what the diff would be between a 5R and a 7.5R regarding hue only. Is a 7.5 closer to RP and would a 2R be more orange?
This diagram was posted in another thread sometime last year, should help:

I'm not a fan of the hue designations in Munsell, valuable as the chroma and value numbers are.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2009, 06:17 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Simi Valley, California

Hails from United States
Re: Caput Mortuum

Sid -- Here are quick and dirty photos I just took of the pages in question with the specific hue range from the examples in the chips I placed on the paint.

Munsell color chips ranging from 2.5R (red) to 10R

Munsell color chips ranging from 2.5RP (red-purple) to 10RP

You'll see here that some are decidedly orangey and others are decidedly magenta to violet/purple!

If you look back at the paints/chips, you'll see each of these eight hue sections is represented, some at very low chroma and high value.

For the uninitiated: Each sheet is encompasses 1/4 of a specific Hue range. Chroma is gauged at 2 on the far left to 16 on the far right of each sheet (chroma can extend further for some colors and supplemental chips are provided). Value is the vertical range, from 2 at the bottom to 9 at the top.