WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: What is your favorite online pastel supplier?
Dakota Pastels 92 26.06%
Dick Blick 158 44.76%
Fine Art Store 19 5.38%
Jerry's Artarama 64 18.13%
Madison Art Shop 0 0%
Mount Vision Pastels 2 0.57%
Terry Ludwig 18 5.10%
Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#136   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2008, 09:06 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States
Re: What is your favorite online store for pastels and supplies?

ASW is not listed? I like to order from them. . .
  #137   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2008, 09:16 PM

Rainy,

If I'm not mistaken, Jerry's and ASW are run by the same supplier, though ASW seems to offer better discounts.

I wonder if anyone knows their business structure? Why the two different websites?
  #138   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2008, 03:07 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

I voted for Dick Blick even though both Jerry's and Dakota have some items I can't find at Blick. I settle for going elsewhere only when Blick hasn't got what I wanted.

Blick has a good selection, the best prices usually (though Jerry's comes close), the fastest shipping and unbelievably good customer service. They use FedEx rather than UPS and their warehouse location is closer. When I placed an order on Monday, it arrived yesterday on Thursday. Wham. Wow.

One item, a set of oil pastels, had duplicate colors and two colors missing. Normally they'd send the missing colors fast but this item wasn't carried in open stock. So they gave me 20% off the cost of the set for my inconvenience and it was enough to order the missing colors from Jerry's and pay the shipping on them. They will always do something to make good on anything that goes wrong with the order.

They've never given me a hard time even over years of my pestering them with questions and not always buying the product I questioned about. I got my Pans there recently and love them, they've since added the full range set and the 20 color Tints and Shades set.

Another thing I like about Blick is their easy to navigate website. Dakota and Jerry's also have good informative websites. ASW doesn't -- the ASW site is sometimes a nightmare to find anything and I've had to send more errata notes with questions on mislabeled or mispriced items to ASW. Blick actually appreciates errata notes if I find a problem on a page. I always get a thank-you if I write them a message asking if an unlikely price is real or mentioning a typo -- they had the wrong dimensions on a Sennelier box that was considerably larger than described and I caught the error (metric and inches dimensions didn't match), and they thanked me for it and fixed the site.

When it's their picking and packing folks that are wrong and the wrong item's sent, they don't ever ask me to send back the wrong item and then wait to send the replacement until I do. This is something annoying that some other places do. I've wound up sticking with them partly on this generous reaction, which takes the edge of frustration off it if I unpack my order and find the wrong color replacement stick or something. I just treat it as "Oh okay, I wait a little and I get a freebie for my patience" and keep coming back.

The only item I did have to send back for them to return to manufacturer was a $90 watercolor set but at that price it's reasonable for them to pay shipping both ways -- and I have never been charged shipping for any of those replacements either. They have got that much loyalty for good service along with the good pricing, though Jerry's is comparable on pricing in many things and seems to be working on building trust with service.

The problem with Jerry's may be logistic though -- they don't have a warehouse as close to me so their UPS shipments take a few days longer than my lucky relationship with Blick. I haven't tried Dakota yet but I'm working my way down my priority list till I get to the things Dakota has that Blick hasn't got.
  #139   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2008, 03:12 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulpine
Rainy,

If I'm not mistaken, Jerry's and ASW are run by the same supplier, though ASW seems to offer better discounts.

I wonder if anyone knows their business structure? Why the two different websites?

In calling the ASW customer service, I get answered by the Jerry's call center. I think ASW gets more of the overstock stuff, though I have often seen the same sales go on at both.

I like the ASW catalog cover contests and intend to enter one sometime in hopes of winning a big spree, that'd be too cool. Jerry's site is much easier to navigate than ASW though.

ASW goofed big time a couple of years ago and made me so angry I didn't want to bother with them any more. I tried them again recently and so far the items I've bought have arrived on time without problems. I'm hesitant to place large or complex orders though because of the problems I had with their resolution on packing mistakes and the hard time their customer service gave me. Repeating the same error after demanding the wrong items be returned gave me a bad feeling about it. So I'm still cautious about them even though ASW sometimes has very good deep-discount sale pricing.
  #140   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2008, 02:03 AM
Resting in Peace
Clark, Wyoming

Hails from United States

Robert, sounds like you and I are in complete agreement on ASW. I have found some great deals there and have ordered from them for many years. But their customer service is awful.

I like Blick and Dakota, ordering from Blick usually because of their prices, and Dakota for sale items and things Blick doesn't carry.

God blessed me with the gift to create art. It is both my joy and my purpose to use that talent to His glory.
  #141   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2009, 03:26 PM

Dick Blick seems to have best prices if they have the item. Also I like Fed Express as they come early in the day and packages are intact. Jerry's artarama does have stuff like frame screw clips as I was doing my own frames. Hobby Lobby uses these clips but won't sell them to you for your own use.
  #142   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2009, 07:27 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Can't vote, as my favo is Jackson's, a UK firm. A real person (imagine that!!!) emails me and asks if I approve of the shipping cost (overseas for them), it even works to shortcut the system, and email them first saying that if the shipping is below £ XX, I accept it -- saves me 3 days! Though, Blick is very good, but alas not within the EU.

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog, and Pastel Guild of Europe

Last edited by Colorix : 01-25-2009 at 07:30 PM.
  #143   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2009, 06:53 PM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

I have tried Jackson's too- and great service! sorry I left it off.....

I still like Blick's the very best, but Jerry's and Daniel Smith are tied for 2nd place....Jerrys lowered their shipping price so that is great, but so did Blick's for cheaper orders, and Blick's always ships the product out really fast, which is great!

And I just like the wonderful unique PAINT from Daniel Smith but for pastels the service and best selection is still Dakota's!

And even when I don't USE pastels, the Great American pastels are still the very most beautiful to look at!
  #144   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Bay Area, California

Hails from United States

I love Dakota - but buy most things at Jerry's to save money. I'm making a go of it as a professional artist, and it's really important to maintain control of expenses.

I've been to the Dakota warehouse. It's a thing of beauty and it's wonderful to be able to browse the open stock. You can get in if you participate in one of the workshops they hold up in WA.

But I've discovered that if you become a member of APA (http://www.allproartists.org/home.asp) you can get a permanent 20% discount at Jerry's. And Jerry's ships free all orders over $175. It is true that I have received my share of damaged or mis-packed shipments - but every time they instantly correct their errors. I even bought a tent for doing art festivals from them, and when I complained that one of the joints had a crack they sent a whole new tent. You just have to pick up the phone if you have any issues.
  #145   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2009, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Myrtle Creek, OR

Hails from United States

I voted Dakota. I've been there personally and know the owners who are very experienced with pastels. They facilitate pastel workshops and Robin is a pastellist herself.

And, although other suppliers are getting good marks in this poll for having large stock on hand, I believe that Dakota has the absolute largest open stock inventory of anyone with every brand covered. Their warehouse is amazing. If you get a chance to walk around in it, it's impossible not to fill a tray with luscious sticks.

Phil
  #146   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2009, 08:44 PM
Charlotte, NC

Hails from United States

I voted for Jerry's. I love the color selection and I have not had a problem with shipping items, though I am in Charlotte, NC. Plus, I love the pastel shaper!
  #147   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2009, 02:21 PM

as a beginner buying small sets I've found EBay shopping to be very handy..
  #148   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Carol Conrad,Crossville, TN

Hails from United States

I voted for the Fine Art Store. Ordered Mount Visions on the 12th July, received them on the 15th July, and they were less expensive than anywhere else. Of course I also like Dick Blick.
  #149   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2009, 10:51 AM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

I like Dick Blick cause I get classroom and teacher discount, also there is a Dick Blick outlet just an hour or so from my home. I like the fast service and variety of products.
Derek
  #150   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Pueblo, Colorado

I tend to order from tree stores:

DickBlick: Great selection, shipping is cheap, and fast. I recently asked if they would start carrying Mount Vision pastels, and a few days later, they they were! They really seem to listen, and are very helpful.

ASW: Great prices, and discounts. And they match advertised prices. Again cheap/fast shipping. However, when I place an order for multiple items I get charged shipping for every box. Why they done just place everything in one box I don't know.

Dakota Art Pastels: (I voted for them) Excellent customer service, and an amazing selection. I searched all over for a decent and well priced case and found it there. Their shipping is a bit high, but it's fast and I have never had a problem.

~I found my shadow by the fire I've lit~