WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2009, 07:32 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States
Monthly CP Challenge - July 2009

Rules for the Monthly CP Challenge

1) Use one or more of the ref photos posted at the beginning of the Challenge thread. Feel free to adapt the refs to suit your creativity & imagination. Change the crop, add, subtract, combine them, etc.!
2) State which ref you are using & credit the photographer in your first post.
3) Please list the size of your piece, type of support (stonehenge, watercolor paper, colorfix, etc.), and type of pencils you are using. If you are using watersoluble pencils, please let us know if you are using them wet or dry.
4) Mixed media is ok, but because this is the cp forum, colored pencil should be the dominant medium used in your piece.
5) If you would like help along the way, please post your work as wip's (work in progress) in this thread. This is especially helpful if you're new to cp. It's always easier to change things early on! If there is something specific you want help with, Ask! What's bothering you may not be obvious to everyone else.
6) The Monthly CP Challenge threads will remain open for six months. You may post your work in the appropriate monthly challenge thread as long as it is open, even if a new challenge has begun. The current challenge will be stickied at the top of the forum.
7) There are no experts here! Some participants may have more experience with cp than others, but everyone is here to learn. Feel free to experiment, branch out, and push your boundaries. Of course, the most important thing: Have Fun!

Ready to see the refs?

Jelly Beans by Olika
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...hp?photo=19778

Taylor’s Gold Pears by madmum
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...hp?photo=63145

Sand Artist by kreativbydzn
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...hp?photo=75904

Cosmos 6 by Stephie20
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...hp?photo=51220

Fence by heavyiron
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...hp?photo=69501

And the Extra Challenge for July: create a color piece using only the b&w version of the previous ref.
Fence Detail in B&W by heavyiron
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...hp?photo=69500

I know some of you did something very similar to this back in April with a pair of hands... We have enough new folks I thought it would be good to revisit this sort of an *extra* challenge.

Early Warning Regarding August! The "extra" challenge for August will be to render one of the refs on colored paper (your choice of color!). So if you need to get some, you've got an entire month to compile your shopping list!

Good luck!
Rosemary

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Last edited by TessDB : 08-07-2009 at 09:37 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2009, 08:09 AM
Maryland

Hails from United States
Re: Monthly CP Challenge - July 2009

Alright, alright, I think the time has come. I had posted sporadically in pastels and oil pastels in the past, but have been lurking here for a long, long time very quietly. I posted in the Who Are You thread not too long ago and threatened to post my very first completed CP, but I still haven't quite done that. Now, you have posted just some wonderful references. I have had those jelly beans saved for years now to do and I think the white flower (Cosmo?) for almost as long. I think that's a sign. I will be participating this month. Thanks for the great references and the push I needed!

Arlene
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2009, 08:20 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

Whoo-hoo! Caught us a lurker!

Welcome out of lurkdom, Arlene!
We're a friendly bunch and will only nudge you as much as you're comfortable with! Looking forward to getting to know you and your work!

Rosemary

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2009, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Northeast Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Interesting. I only got two done for June and have not posted them because it is hard to do most things with a broken ankle. Will post when I get more mobile.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2009, 08:27 AM
Tampa, Florida

Hails from United States

Excellent choices, Rosemary!!! I, personally, am drawn to the pears, flower, and posts. Those speckles in the pear/stem and the wood grain are calling me, as are the silky white petals of the flower.

"This world is but a canvas to our imagination." H. D. Thoreau
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2009, 08:28 AM
A WC! Legend
Warwickshire, Middle Earth

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi Arlene coem and join us in the fun.

I'm off on holiday for 2 weeks on Saturday and still have one to finish from last month's. I'm taking my CPs on holiday, wet and dry as they will be versatile and easy to pack and carry. I'll print off some refs to take with me. I like the fence and the girl on the beach - well i hope to be seeing some REAL beach - if the weather lets me. Maybe I will work on that whilst ON a beach

Won't have internet whilst away as I'm camping and just 'getting away from it all'. So I'll see if I have something to post when I get back.

I'm getting bored with fruit & veg and flowers and the jellybeans I think would drive me nuts after a while lol so I reckon it's fence and girl for me.
(although the wood grain is tempting in the pears one)
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2009, 09:18 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Costa Blanca, Spain

Hails from Spain

Hi everyone,
great choices, Rosemary, am not sure which I will attempt yet. Still finishing the June ones. Cindy I think we should call you "Mishap" Lin, enjoy your camping trip and do some "life" objects to share.
Welcome, Arlene, you will get hooked!
Eileen
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2009, 10:10 AM

Hails from Poland

Hi folks It's about time I participated in the challenge I think I like the last one the most. "Sand Artist" looks interesting too..
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2009, 10:42 AM
A Local Legend
Alabama

Hails from United States

Beautiful refs as always, Rosemary...

I love the old fence, the girl, the flower, the pears...ahhhh....

Okay, well, when I get home from Salt Lake City, I'll choose. I've got the right pencils with me but only one good piece of paper on which I am doing a yellow lab...

Welcome, Arlene, we are friendly, nosy and mostly harmless ...can't wait to see what you can do. Remember, we are all learning here and not professionals. Some have a great deal more experience than others but we all help each other. They put up with me, so that's a plus, right?

Have fun at the beach, Lin ...don't get sand on your drawing paper ...

Cindy, hope the foot heals quickly...
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2009, 12:39 PM
A WC! Legend

Hmm Bren -0 why not get sand on my paper - might save me on Wallis or Colorfix or that pumice gel people use to roughen it all up lol
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Ontario

Hails from Canada

Great ref photos! I'm really looking forward to these, last month I only tried the tomato....but since then I've gotten a little braver as well as picked up some better materials I am now the proud owner of Lyra rembrandt polycolor pencils as well as some 110lb paper as opposed to my old sketch book which only had 50lb paper and now that I see it next to my new paper was actually very yellow.

I think I will most likely give the jelly beans, and pears or perhaps the flowers a go but we do have a month so who knows

Tasha
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2009, 04:39 PM
A Local Legend
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

Cindy-- I'm looking forward to seeing your work once you're up to posting it!

Lish-- I'd like to see you take a run at the jelly beans at some point... I think getting the colors in the shadows would be good practice for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrockchick
Hmm Bren -0 why not get sand on my paper - might save me on Wallis or Colorfix or that pumice gel people use to roughen it all up lol

O yeah! Now you're thinking, Lin! I bet the combo of sunscreen + sand will work wonderfully to turn a normal sheet of paper into something completely different!
On a less humorous note... aren't there some interesting effects you can get with watercolors if you add salt to the water? Just think of the ocean as one biiiiiggggg brush rinse!

And I understand what you mean about the edible objects... I can't *wait* until the RIL is fixed so I can start snapping some pics to stick in there to use as refs for these challenges. There still need to be simple refs for the folks just discovering cp's, but I've got *ideas* (y'all may want to run and hide, now! ).
Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Eileen-- good to see you're jumping in again! Can't wait to see the finish of your tomato from last month. hint hint.

Vanity-- Great to have you along! I bet you could do some *fab* stuff with any of the refs!

Bren-- Looking forward to seeing what you decide to work on when you get back home!

Tasha-- Enjoy getting to know your new toys! You'll be amazed at what better supplies will let you do. And then you'll become addicted to cp. And, I'm sorry to say, there is no recovery program!

I'm really really glad everyone is liking the refs I'm choosing. And if anyone has a suggestion of what sorts of refs they'd like to see more of, feel free to send me a pm!
Btw-- it won't be in August, but some month soon the *extra* challenge will be picking your own ref-- and it'll have to be a subject that scares the socks off of you!

Rosemary

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2009, 05:06 PM
A Local Legend
Alabama

Hails from United States

Drats, Rosemary...you stole my thunder! I was going to tell Lin...well I will anyway...

Lin, don't let Hans, the umbrella guy (at the redneck Riviera, the beach in Alabama we have guys that move your umbrellas for you) get suntan lotion on your drawing paper ...that greasy spot might be hard to explain...

Rosemary, you asked me on the other thread about chippy, I'm perplexed as to how to move forward with him. I want to develop the background more but don't want to mess it up either...I'm paralyzed with the fear that I will mess it up...when I get home I may post what I have done and get suggestions from the crowd...

If I have to choose a topic that scares me, it would have to be that dratted rocking chair from a few months back...Rosemary, keep that rocking chair way from me,....ahhhhhhhh.....
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2009, 07:23 PM
A WC! Legend

Unfortunatley I dont' have a Hans and we only usually need umbrellas to keep the rain off

Hmm the actuall sea is usually too far to walk when the tide is out. I usually just sit there and wait for the sea to come to ME
Trouble is, by then we only have a few mionutes to pack up and get off the beach before we get wet !

I'm hoping for some sunshine so I can at least have a paddle this year.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2009, 07:46 PM
East Granby, CT

Hails from United States

I'm going to start with the jellybeans. I just got a set of Caran D'Ache Pablos, and that ref will give me a chance to play with the maximum number of colors!

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TessDB
Btw-- it won't be in August, but some month soon the *extra* challenge will be picking your own ref-- and it'll have to be a subject that scares the socks off of you!

Looks like I'll be trying a portrait soon then.

Last edited by donnarie : 07-01-2009 at 07:50 PM.