WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > WetCanvas Site Discussions > PROJECT: Product Reviews
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2002, 07:29 PM
A Local Legend
London, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Post Category Descriptions - Please Read!

If you have been checking out the Product Review System that is being implemented here on WC! you may or may not have noticed many many category descriptions just waiting to be filled! After talking in this thread to Scott and volunteering my time and sanity (but he does it every day, right??? ) I am going to be headlining a little "project" based on an idea I came up with.

What is your idea?
Since there has been so much information already put up into the Product Review System (Here-in known as the PRS) in regards to specific brands and vendors, I thought it might be cool if we were to go one step further and add some basic information on the different mediums and tools that can be accessed simply in the Category Descriptions.

Why?
Mainly, I thought that this might be a good way to open our eyes up to new and different mediums or tools. Why look for buying information on something if you are not entirely sure what it is or does? This could be a really great way to help out the art newcomers in particular who might be looking to purchase their first few materials to get them started in the art world. It could also be a great way to open ourselves up to new and different mediums, or draw our attention to things that we may not have heard of before but could eventually be interested in buying to use. How cool could it be to go looking for information on some on a particular brand of Acrylic paint and come back from your search with a new interest in India Ink? Or if you wasn't sure what oil Mediums were used for you could go on the PRS and look it up and have some basic information about it.

Al right, What kind of information would be included in these descriptions?
Ideally, the descriptions would be kept rather short and simple - just providing enough information about the general medium/tool to get a basic view of what it is used for/what it does. Some of the things I would like to have in these descriptions include:
-What it is made of (particularly dealing with mediums)
-What it is used for (particularly with tools)
-Basic notes about color or gradients, softness of leads and stuff like that
-Basic information about the over-all thing in question
-Other tools associated with that medium, and vice versa.

The example description I came up with was dealing with graphite pencils:

Graphite pencils are a popular tool for artists, and are available at many stores. A form of carbon, although graphite pencils are available in the pure graphite form most graphite pencils have ebony (another carbon form used in pencil led) to lower the costs to the consumer. The leads are available in different numbered grades, ranging from the harder H leads, to the much softer B leads. These grades create variations in the tone of the pencil mark. Used together a wide spectrum of tones can be attained.
Pencils are great because of their versetality in use and their forgiveness to mistakes by the artist. The led marks can be easily erased by the use of an eraser. Also, they can be easily blended with such tools as your own fingers of blending stumps.

After the descriptions have been completed, I will hand them over to Scott who will work them into the corresponding category description.

So how are you going about doing this, and why are you bothering me? (lol)
I obviously don't have the knowledge to come up with all of these descriptions on my own! After taking a moment of thinking how I would tackle this I have come up with the following system which I will implement:
-I will begin the description on my own by researching this site and others on the Internet.
-When I think I have something substantial to begin with, I will begin a thread and post the description in one of the forums that is associated with the tool/medium in question. That way I can receive additional information and get corrections from other more knowledgeable and experienced people, and also get feedback from the general public.
-When we have re-worked the description information and have something suitable, I will post the final copy in this thread so Scott can take it and put it up into the category description.
-I will be starting with descriptions for categories that Scott has already begun adding products too. As he starts expanding into more categories, I will begin work on those descriptions.

So, I hope everyone will be happy to help me out! The threads will be around a.s.a.p. so we can get a start on this thing!

Thanx in advance

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2002, 09:05 PM
A Local Legend
London, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Threads Begun

In keeping with this thing, I thought I'd start adding the urls of the threads that I am starting in the forums so you can go and look for yourselves if you are interested and give me feedback to them there.

Acrylic Paints
Acrylic Mediums
Watercolour Mediums
Oil Paints
Palette/Painting Knives
Watercolor Paints
Acrylic Modeling Paste and Mortars
Egg Tempera

Please Note that instead of continually replying to this thread as I add more I will just continually edit this post

Wooo... this is hard work!

Last edited by scottb : 09-07-2002 at 12:09 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2002, 01:59 PM
A Local Legend
London, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Question Question for Scott

I'm having some trouble finding information about Acrylic Mortars in particular. Would you have any sites or know of any information in regards to mortars? I've asked for some information through a thread, although I'm not sure what kind of feedback I'm going to get. When you say about Mortars, are you refering to the same kind of mortar you use with bathroom tiles (lol)? Or is it just another fancy term for modeling paste?

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2002, 02:35 PM
A Local Legend
Atlanta, GA

I believe it is a fancy word for modeling paste. Where's Carly when you need her - lol.

Someone over in the Acrylics forum will chime in soon enough, I'm sure.

Cheers.
Scott
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2002, 09:50 PM
A Local Legend
London, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Alright, Thanx! lol I think I have gotten some great responces from the guys in the forum - I think I might leave getting this one done a little longer however until we can figure out if there's really a difference - wait for carly to reply or something lol

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2002, 12:06 AM
A Local Legend
London, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Appearently I can no longer edit the above so I will start a new post lols

Egg Tempera
Alkyds

Last edited by Axl_Happy_Goth : 09-07-2002 at 01:00 AM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2002, 12:08 AM
A Local Legend
Atlanta, GA

You have 24 hours to edit posts after you initially post them.

I will make the adjustment for you ...
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2002, 12:20 AM
A Local Legend
London, Ontario

Hails from Canada
oooo special previlages! ok

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2009, 07:18 AM

Re: Category Descriptions - Please Read!

Can anyone help me in giving me an idea of container glass market?