WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1111   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2009, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Ireland

Re: Exploring Soft Pastels Class: Still-Life the Colourful Way!

Hello, everyone !
Mario, those glass objects are absolutely beautifully painted ! Lovely colours and reflections, I extremely like the highlights,they make your painting sparkle !

Hi, Charlie ! I cannot thank you enough for your detailed comments and encouragement !
Your demo proved to be an eye opener for me, I must confess, I wasn`t too sure about what one has to do during stage 2 ,I understand it so much clearer now,when you showed it ! Thank you so much for your time I totally appreciate that !
You were right about two light sources, I actually hoped, that heavy curtains will eliminate the daylight from the right, but obviously that wasn`t the case, next time I`ll try blocking the light with a box, as you suggested.
What can I do in order to observe and pin-point colours better? I never saw a cool pink on my grapefruit before you pointed it out,and it is worrying me a bit .

I am so not feeling ready to proceed further, ( actually, I am frightened of going into more complex assignments ,as I am not feeling comfortable with those of less difficulty ...) Perhaps, another round-ish object ?
Now I am going back to reading ( I am sorry that you had to repeat several things you already mentioned in other posts,I did read them, but somehow they didn`t make a connection to my case, I promise to pay more attention in the future !
Again, thank you so much for your demo, now all bits fell into their places finally, and I see the whole picture much, much better !
  #1112   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2009, 08:45 AM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Hi Elen, I'm glad it is making more sense. Don't worry about not seeing cool pink on a grapefruit -- you see, you're training your brain to perceive differently from before, and it takes a while for the ole brain to 'get it'. I've trained my not artistic cerebral husband to see colours, not actively 'trained', but by exclaiming "oooo, look at that gorgeous turquoise light in the leaf". His perception before was simply red, yellow, blue, green, and everything else was 'brown'... well, maybe grey too...

What to do to see colours better: Be relaxed (do not stare), let your gaze move over the whole set-up, and beyond it too. Let your eyelids droop, squint. Try blinking rapidly, and some colours will 'flash'.

And search for colours wherever you are, sitting in a bus, for example. Try to give a name to what you actually *see*. Say a stop is next to a building, where you can see both sides of a corner. Say they're both in shadow. The part facing the street may be a bit bluer than the part facing the lawn which will look slightly greener due to reflected light from the grass. Compare. Ask, which is bluer, which is greener, which is more violet? Is this a pure grey, or is it a blue-ish gray, or a greenish-gray?

Reading lessons and advice will not make much sense until you have to actually *use* it. Have tried to use it, and discovered you do not really know it. Then when you go back and re-read, you'll discover that it was in the text all the time! In fact, the next time you go through the text of stage 2, for example, you'll discover something new again. We're simply more receptive and more ready to internalize it, and it usually happens bit by bit. (I discovered totally new things when preparing for this class, and I've used this method exclusively since 2003, and studied really hard... )

Basically, relax, let it grow on you, search actively for colour, and suddenly one day you'll just see! It feels like magic! But it truly is just that the brain 'got it', finally. But the 'magic' is there, and the world will never look the same, as it now will be shimmering with gorgeous colours. For me personally, even after the magical moment, the old way of seeing kept interfering, and I sort of flipped between the two. Then it stabilized, within the colourful universe. Funny how something so simple, really, as becoming aware of what has always been there can transform the world.

Elen, very wise of you to stay with the simple things for a while, I support that wholly. Maybe you can take a block form (small carton, a book, or wrap a box in coloured paper) plus a round object and paint those. A cone or a cylinder woud do as well as a sphere. These are the basics of any forms you see in nature, so discovering and studying how light and colour behave on these will serve you for *any* kind of subject. A roll of toilet paper is a great handy cylindrical object, and the empty roll can be painted or wrapped. It can be laid down, or stand up, in a set-up. I painted numerous such simple studies, just to learn to see and to paint what I saw. Had great fun combining colours in all sorts of ways. So yes, the more studies, the better one learns, and the better a 'real' painting will be when one eventually gets to it.

So please make a simple study, and post each stage and I'll guide you through the mystery of it.

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog, and Pastel Guild of Europe
  #1113   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Zagreb

Hails from Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorix

Btw, have you tried the Fisher and the Wallis?

Charlie

Charlie, I like the Wallis. See my post #123 in Feb pastel strokes. You might recognize some of your teachings
  #1114   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2009, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Ireland

Hi Charlie, thank you for the answers, they are most helpful ! I noticed, that I started to see things differently than before, I hope, with more practise I`ll be able to see even more !
You are absolutely right ,reading lessons is not enough, one has to do them ! I just was surprised, that I made the same mistakes that some other`s did ,although I read about them before and read your comments too ,and still - I did exactly the same mistakes and was absolutely sure, that I am doing the right thing..
I am very glad that you don`t mind me doing another simple study ,as soon, as I`ll find a safe place for my set up, I`ll start it. And I am so grateful for your help and your comments ,thank you so much for sharing your knowledge !