WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil > Colored Pencil Library
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2008, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
NC

Hails from United States
WIP Bass Lake Trail

A while back, and it's been a while now, when I last posted a piece here, someone asked (ahem-Rosemary) if I would do one as a wip. Welp, here it finally is. I actually finished this up a couple of weeks ago but I've been a little overwhelmed with other work lately so sorry to not have posted this earlier. Anyway, here are all the stages, starting with Inktense on pastel board, 6 x 6 inches, then washed with water. Drawing on top with Coloursoft cps. With my underpainting of Inktense I was going for finding the areas of cool and warm hues as well as lights and darks. I like the way the colors of the underpainting will influence and sometimes show through the later layers of dry cp - to get some optical mixing of color as well. In the end I felt that with this piece I still had a tendency to rely too much on the local color of the scene so this is something I would like to experiment with further.
Thanks for looking!
Ann
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Enthusiast

Re: WIP Bass Lake Trail

Thanks for doing this nice piece of work as a WIP for all of us. I love the richness of the colors you have used here. The light is very well done!

?? about the pastel board. Can you cut that to a size you need or do you have to use it in the size you can buy. Say I bought a 8X10, but want a 6X6...can I cut it down to that.

Nice to see your work posted again. Don't you just hate it when other "work" and life gets in the way of our playing in color?

Pam
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
NC

Hails from United States

Thanks Pam!
I haven't tried cutting pastel board but I seem to remember Nichole Caulfield mentioned doing that and that it was easier than one might think. Maybe check her blog? I'd hate to tell you the wrong method and mess up a board.
Yes. I am missing playing with my colored pencils! I'm sure I'll get inspired looking around the posts on this forum though Now to find the time. . .
Ann
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2008, 11:57 PM
A Local Legend
Milan, Illlinois

Hails from United States

Amazing job on the shadows on the trail...I like the colors you used. I don't know how you work that small!

Char

CRY Colored Pencil Art
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2008, 01:14 AM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

Thanks for posting all the stages--its great!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2008, 01:39 AM
Immortalized
Lakeland, Florida

Hails from United States

Thanks for posting the progressions. I love it ,super job. It is good to see more landscapes. I love the way the look changes as each layer is completed. Rick
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2008, 07:39 AM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia

It is always interesting and informative to view how others approach their work.

This is really, really nice. Good atmosphere.
Aint nothing illegal til you get caught - Tickle
My RIL Photos Discoveries With Color My Photos
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2008, 08:50 AM
PA

Hails from United States

Ann, I really like that you attached these as thumbnails. I opened all of the images (each opened in it's own tab). Then, as I clicked on each successive tab, the new image popped up in just the same place as the previous one, appearing to kind of lay on top of the previous one and magically transforming it with the changes. Really interesting and informative to view them this way (kind of like the old flip books!). Thanks for sharing. Very nice work! I love seeing landscapes in cp. I have several on my list to tackle.

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2008, 09:30 AM
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

Thank You, Ann!!!

I'm with Elaine, it was really cool to open up all the attachments and then shuffle through. Really gives a good sense of what you did and how and when and maybe maybe maybe I'll wrap my brain around using the inktense pencils...

That is if enough folks keep posting wips like this. hint hint.

Thanks again!
Rosemary

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2008, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
NC

Hails from United States

Thanks everyone!
Yes, I am still figuring this out, trying these various ways of working with cp. I have done a couple now this way with these specific materials and enjoy the process. But I am still working out how to best take advantage of this method. That's one reason for trying it out in a smaller size.
I didn't think about how all the thumbnails would open when I uploaded the images. That's just how I had always attached images. But it is pretty cool to flip through them like that! I just had a lot of fun flipping back and forth between views - I'm so easily amused
Thanks again everyone!
Next time I'll try to post as the piece is actually in progress so I can benefit from everyone's great ideas and feedback
Ann
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2008, 04:23 PM
PA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by home4art
But it is pretty cool to flip through them like that! I just had a lot of fun flipping back and forth between views - I'm so easily amused

Ann

I was doing the same thing!

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Ireland

Oh,how wonderful ! Thank you for sharing all the stages - now I have an idea,how to do a landscape ! Great work !
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2008, 06:27 PM
Enthusiast
Sierra foothils, California

Hails from United States

I confess, I'm a flipper also. It was great fun and very educational. Thank you so much, Ann.
And glad you found some time to pop in. Summer is so busy, I know! Garden keeps calling me out and then have to deal with the harvest!
Back to subject- great landscape. I agree that we need to see more of them in this forum. Great depth in this.

http://www.fawnridge-art.com
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Enthusiast
Evansville, Indiana, USA

Hails from United States

Ann, you really nailed the diffused, dappled sunlight. I think there is more optical mixing that you claim credit. I'm beginning to think some form of underpainting is the way to go for CP, whether its Neocolor II water soluable pastels, watercolor pencil, Inktense, or whatever. It sure speeds things up. I'm still trying to understand the whole warm/cool, complementary underpainting idea, however.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2008, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
NC

Hails from United States

Thanks Elen, Kathy and Herb
Herb, the underpainting really does speed up the whole drawing process, not so many layers are needed. I have only tried a couple of combinations and settled on the Inktense under Coloursofts when working on pastel board just because I like the feel better - personal preference really. I did try one a while back with watercolor pencils and then dry cp on top using Arches HP paper as opposed to the pastel board. That seemed to have real possibilities for me too but haven't given it a try since.
Thanks again everyone
Ann