WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil > Colored Pencil Library
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Enthusiast
south dakota

Hails from United States
Re: New Blending Techniques

Friesen, I use one to push the pigment into the paper and blend it, they must be stiff though. I am sure someone has a better explination. Basically you are blending with the bristles, so it comes in really handy. no silly questions in colored pencil, we all had to learn new things too. Andi
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2008, 09:22 AM
Enthusiast
south dakota

Hails from United States

I use pieces of soft leather to blend with. Also use a makeup sponge, I like that for oil based pencils, doesn't work so well on Prisma's.
the leather works really well. I also use a pastel blender for tight places, they have different tips and sizes you can buy. They have a rubber tip and you can get them in soft, or harder varieties. Andi
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2008, 11:08 AM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

I've used brushes on paper. It does remove some pigment, but it forces it into the pits of the paper, so was helpful in the early stage.

Friesin, the brush just pushes the pigment around a bit, it doesn't liquify it like a solvent or oil, just moves or smears it, I guess would be the way to describe. Same as with an eraser or makeup thingy.

The colorless blender pencil adds wax...the brush, eraser, makeup pad add nothing, just forces the pigment around.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2008, 11:08 AM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

I have some pastel blenders...great tip, I'll have to try that as well.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Lord of the Arts
Midway, TX

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by friesin
I, as a newbie in CP, surely can' t help feeling a bit confused by this discussion

How do you use a brush with CP s but without solvent ???

(Excuse me if this question is too silly or the answer is too obvious, but I am really new to this medium)
No silly questions here friesin!

When using a brush, it is always best to also use a softer leaded colored pencil, such as Prismacolors Premiers or Derwent Coloursofts. The brush can oush the color around much easier, but I have also used harder pencils like Derwent Studio & Artist pencils as well as Polychromos. It's just harder and you have to be more careful with harder pencils.

Like Robin said, the brush pushes the pigment around surface and into the tooth of the surface. However, this does NOT allow you to be messy with your application of the pencil! In whatever manner you apply the pencil, that is how it will come out no matter how much you blend. Therefore, the smoother you apply the pencil on the surface, and the more you cover the surface, the better the results will be when you blend the colors together. As such, when you lay the pencil loosely, not covering the surface, that is exactly what you will get when you blend - loose messy color! And remember, once you blend with a brush, it's either very difficult to remove the color (erase), or impossible, so be sure of what you are doing and experiment before doing a piece seriously so if you make a mistake, it's not as big a deal.

Reflections From Life Fine Art