I found this girl busking outside ”La cite “ Carcassonne , France .
On a 22 “ x 16 “ stretched linen canvas I had applied two coats of oil primer , as
I found these prepared canvasses too absorbent for oil paint . Making the colours dry too matt .
My palette was Titanium White , Cadmium Yellow , Yellow Ochre, Cadmium Red
Alizarin Crimson, Transparent Red Oxide , Ultramarine Blue and Ivory Black.
I first washed Transparent Red Oxide and a Ivory Black distilled with Turpentine
over the canvas . After ½ hour I sketched in with a brush the main shapes. I measured my drawing in head lengths.
I wasn’t happy with the placement of my head, so I tried to wipe off and start again
only to find that the turpentine wash started to dissolve some of the oil primer underneath.. I turned the canvas upside down and started again.
Standing a few feet back from the canvas and squinting so that I see only the basic shapes , I move back and forth trying to block in the main masses, no detail. The darkest part of the hair is put in as a marker for the darkest dark.
For the skin tones I am using White ,Yellow ochre , Transparent red oxide , Ivory black and a little Alizarin Crimson in that order of volume . She has an olive complexion that I need toreplicate.
Starting to feel a little annoyed my values are out . It is difficult as the face is softly lit , nothing with a lot of contrast here to gauge the tones easily .