WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Florals and Botanical
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2007, 03:57 PM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia
Arrow Forum Guidelines and Resource index

Welcome to the Florals/Botanical forum!
In this forum you may post floral works of all kinds, still lifes that are primarily floral, floral art which has other associated elements such as pollinators, and botanical/vegetation art of all types. All mediums are welcome. You may cross-post any image that has been posted in one other forum on WC!

When posting a piece of work, please try to give some information about it - medium, size, support and anything else you feel is relevant. If you want a critique, please request it e.g. C&C appreciated, comments and critiques welcome, etc.

WetCanvas! User Agreement
If you have not read the site's user agreement, it is highly recommended that you do so. WetCanvas! strives to be an educational, friendly, and supportive place where members can chat, learn, and post their artwork (for critiques or not) in a safe and comfortable atmosphere. Using the forums or the private messaging system to post any form of spam or to harass other members is not tolerated. Please note that WetCanvas! does not allow the posting of copyrighted works or images. All work posted must be your own work. Click here for the user agreement. A refresher course is always good, too.

Reporting a Post
If you see a post that needs the attention of a moderator, click the little report post button (triangle) in the top right corner of the post. This can be for reporting spam, obscene or harassing posts, or even a forgotten butt icon (for nudity or possibly offensive content).

Guidelines were compiled primarily by bayoudragon, with help from Charlie's Mum and Lady Carol.

Quote:
Since WetCanvas is an international forum with members from all around the globe, in the interests of readability, we ask that members use English or include an English translation of their message in their posts. For the same reason, abbreviations that are used for texting messages are not recommended in posts as they could be confusing, especially to non-English readers.

There are several online translation sites, and whilst not perfect they do allow members to understand your post much better. Here are a few:

translate.google.com/
http://www.bing.com/translator
http://www.bablefishfx.com/altavista...lation-online/

Thank you for your co-operation.

The common Wetcanvas abbreviations can be used and they are shown in the "WC Acronyms"

Doug (Yorky, WC Administrator)

Uploading images to any forum

First, size or resize your image to 100kb dpi (resolution) and no more than 800pixels in either dimension.

Save the file as a jpeg

Open your post page - or New Thread

Type any introduction needed.

Click on the icon above the text panel of your post - it's the 'picture/mountain' icon.

In the new window that comes up. click browse to find your file then click Upload/Submit

When the image shows, click on that and it will put it into your post.

These screencaps describe it!

Continue with any text you want to add.
Aint nothing illegal til you get caught - Tickle
My RIL Photos Discoveries With Color My Photos

Last edited by Charlie's Mum : 01-29-2013 at 11:48 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2007, 10:11 AM
Lord of the Arts
Ontario

Hails from Canada
Information about Botanical Painting and Drawing

This is an abbreviated copy of the original thread, edited to keep available the information about the rules and requirements of Botanical Illustration - with many thanks to Karen, below. (Charlie's Mum).

Hi there:
Here is another painting I have done in my series of six florals.
Reference photo thanks to lisilk who is an amazing photographer. Check out her reference photos.
8 x 10 on Strathmore Bristol Vellum paper
Winsor Newton Watercolour paint

All comments welcome, I love botanicals but I don't know all the rules that apply so any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Charlie's Mum : 10-27-2007 at 09:05 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2007, 10:12 AM
Lord of the Arts
Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: Monarch on Echinacea

Here are some close ups
Attached Images

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2007, 06:18 PM
Richmond Hill, Ontario (near Toronto, Canada)

Hails from Canada

Hi Sandy, my name is Karen and I am a botanical watercolor artist and teacher. You mentioned that you did not know the rules of botanical art. Basically, it is "absolute accuracy in form, colour and texture." Depending on the botanical society you might belong to, all the other rules vary. Most agree that the plant cannot be in any container - it must be surrounded by blank space or it must be "in situ" meaning it must be shown as it grows in its natural/native habitat. Many groups do not allow insects, etc. unless they are the specific pollinators of the plant depicted. The other thing you might want to know is that most botanical artists paint from real life not photographs. This is especially true when submitting art for juried shows. Many judges can immediately spot a painting done from a photograph. If you would like more information, contact me. Don't hesitate to ask for help, either. I usually check my email daily. I am away next week however.

Good painting. Keep it up.

Karen Taylor
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2007, 06:53 PM
North East England

Hails from United Kingdom

Karen,I'm glad you posted that about the rules of botanical art. I admire greatly those who do it or have done it in the past and I'd like to try myself,tho I can't paint at all. Not too bad with coloured pencils tho,but how about pencil only,is that acceptable?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2007, 07:09 PM

Hails from Canada

Hi, Green Ink. Yes pencil, pastel, watercolor, acrylic - what ever you like. Most botanical illustration is done in pencil or waterbased media like watercolor and gouache. Many of the traditional illustrators do the illustration in pencil and perhaps only one flower in colour.

If you want to see the best contemporary botanical images in the world, look up Shirley Sherwood's books: A Passion for Plants isbn 0-30436-166-6 ; Contemporary Botanical Artists ISBN 0-297-83600-5.The first book has some wonderful pencil drawing by Mariko Imai.

The best advice I can give to any botancal artist is to learn to see. Not paint what they think is there but to really look at the plant. To begin try drawing from life - that way you can really examine the plant from all sides and understand how it is put together. This is a great help when you down to the actual drawing.

Good luck. If you need help or more info, don't hesitate to contact me.

Karen Taylor
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Beaufort, North Carolina

Hails from United States

Hi Karen,
This is wonderful information. Can you tell me what clues a judge uses to spot a painting done from a photograph?

Thanks!
Marilyn

Last edited by Charlie's Mum : 10-27-2007 at 09:02 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2007, 04:01 PM

Hails from Canada

Hi Sandy and Marilyn, Many judges can tell if something is drawn from a photograph in several ways. When a camera takes a photo, it captures only one distance in perfect focus. Anything behind it begins to blur - the farther away, the more blurred it becomes. The human eye captures all distances in focus (barring someone not wearing their glasses. When a person paints from a photo, the area in focus can be depicted with great accuracy and detail yet as you move farther into the painting, the detail diminishes. If you work from life, all parts of the plant will be very accurate and detailed. Also, the camera can fool you - for example, you might think that a certain leaf is attached to the stem you are painting. In reality, that leaf belongs to another stem. If you work from life, you can't be fooled as you can examine the plant, with a magnifying glass if necessary, to understand fully the plant's construction. As well, a photograph is flat - many artists can make their painting look three-dimensional but few can do it as well as a painting from real life. The last clue is colour. Botanical illustrations must be absolutely accurate in colour. If for example, the green foliage is a shade too gray, a botanist might assume that the plant is suffering from disease. Good judges know their plants inside and out and can spot an inaccurate colour from miles away. Thus, if you paint from photographs and it has not been checked for colour correctness, you can be off by a mile. Have you ever seen a photo with a paper bar with coloured boxes/stripes on it? These coloured strips are standardized so that when it is developed/printed, the colour in the photo can be checked against an actual test strip in hand. As I have said before, painting test colours on scrap w/c paper against the actual plant is your best insurance in getting a very accurate colour for your painting. Hope this helps. Happy painting!

Karen