WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > WC Gallery
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2007, 04:17 PM
A WC! Legend
French Acadian from Nova Scotia

Hails from Canada
Some of Mariette's Work

Here's my rendition of Dan Gerhartz's painting "Autumn", that I painted in oil in January of 2000. Am I allowed to do that? post paintings that I've "copied" more or less from magazines? I've never taken a lesson, so technically I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to oils. Just trial and errors. I see something I like, a painting in a book, or a photo, and I try to duplicate it. I haven't made an oil painting in over a year. I'm now trying to teach myself the art of watercolour with how-to-books, etc...

Rendition of Dan Gerhartz's "Autumn" -- oil on masonite:

The hand holding the apple is way too big. I only noticed that it was, years later. Is it against the law for me to sign such a work?

KISS (oil on masonite):

Church (oil on canvas):

Car (oil on masonite):

Bike (oil on masonite):

Coat of many colours (acrylic on masonite):

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Click Here for pics in The WetCanvas! Galleria

Last edited by Mariette Deveau : 07-07-2007 at 04:21 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2007, 08:12 AM
A Local Legend
Georgia

Hails from United States
Re: Some of Mariette's Work

Mariette,
These are very well done. I especially like the coat of many colors with the stained glass effect.
Gail

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too. Voltaire
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2007, 08:55 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

Thanks Gail. It's inspired from a colouring book I had when I was 10 years old maybe, 1971..

Question: Am I allowed to sign that painting I did from that Dan Gerhartz painting? Is it plagerism?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2007, 12:02 PM
A WC! Legend
toronto, ontario, canada

sign and date everything
on the back of the canvas explain the relationship to the original work.
in other paintings,
by all means find your own interest in corners of your own experience.
there is so much to honor around us, so easily ignored, full of color and vitality.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2007, 12:31 PM
A WC! Legend
florida

Hails from United States

hi mariette...very nice pieces...You might want to try getting some photos from Wet Canvas' reference library, there are some excellent photos to paint or draw...and you are able to use them without infrigement rights......tyree

Last edited by tyree : 07-08-2007 at 12:37 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2007, 05:39 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Barranquitas, Puerto Rico

Hails from Puerto Rico

Mariette: You can sign your work of course, what your doing is paying hommage to the masters. I'm sure they won't mind! Very good artwork by the way.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2007, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
South Florida, with my toes in the sand

Hails from United States

Lovely work, darlin'. I really like the religious work (I'm a sucker for that stuff; any and all religions).
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2007, 08:46 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettboy
Lovely work, darlin'. I really like the religious work (I'm a sucker for that stuff; any and all religions).
Really? How come? (lol... no offense, but you don't really look like "the religious type" )

The church in the painting is one of many, many catholic churches in the municipality where I used to live. In the early 50's it was officially recognized as a place where the Virgin Mary has appeared. (There's a term for that in french, but I don't know if there's one in english.) Then about 10 years ago, a bunch of ladies swore (hehe) that they saw the dress of the statue of Mary move. A statue that was outside on the lawn of the church. People started coming again from all over to see if it would move. A lot more people saw it. I couldn't see it, nor did I expect to, which is probably why it didn't. lol. Anyway, I was driving around taking photos one day and decided to take pictures of the church and the statues and things. Then decided to make a painting of it with the Virgin Mary in the sky looking over it... figuring I could sell it. And of course, it sold. It has been in the church ever since, on an altar, next to an indoor grotto. The water coming from the grotto is also supposed to have the ability to cure people of ailments. I dunno. During the first few weeks that it was there (the painting), I was told that people were tripping over their own feet looking at it while they were in line for communion. And of course, a lot swore that they saw her move in the painting... her eyes, her smiling, etc... I made tons of prints of photos of the painting, and created "cards" for the church to sell each summer to the tourists. I also had made 8 x 10 framed copies and sold those to. I'm glad it has brought them so much pleasure, to the people from that very small parish.

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2007, 09:28 PM
A Local Legend
Georgia

Hails from United States

Mariette,
How nice to know the story behind one of your paintings. Congrats on the sale of the painting. That makes you famous huh? You have a very nice touch and I'd like to see more of your work.
Gail

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too. Voltaire
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2007, 11:30 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampborn
Mariette,
How nice to know the story behind one of your paintings. Congrats on the sale of the painting. That makes you famous huh? You have a very nice touch and I'd like to see more of your work.
Gail
thank you Gail
I've just noticed that on my moniter the light around the Virgin Mary's head is extremely green ! It doesn't look like that on my photo, and definately not on the painting itself. Oh my, ... I just had a thought... Wouldn't it be "neat" if every now and then the picture would change a bit? I'll have to check it tomorrow to see if the green has changed color. Perhaps Mary might change it to its original colour? ... would be nice. lol

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2007, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariette Deveau
Really? How come? (lol... no offense, but you don't really look like "the religious type")

Good call; I'm not at all religious—not in any way, shape or form—but I'm fascinated by religious iconography. Always have been. Maybe the idea of an artist creating beautiful works as an outward expression of their deep spirtual beliefs has some odd appeal to a cynical old agnostic who will never have that sort of motivation. Religion is right up there with Love and Misery as a spark plug for the creative engine.

All around our house we have bits of religious art; a large acrylic and several small statues of Ganesha, as well as several other Hindu pieces, a large Virgin of Guadalupe print (I'm from Texas; Our Lady of Guadalupe, the patron saint of Mexico, is everywhere back home), several buddahs, a ceramic Sacred Heart, two repro Greek Orthodox icons, some Pagan work, a big gilt Star of David, and much more. I don't really believe in any of it, but the art is still gorgeous (and I could be wrong... ).
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2007, 12:11 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettboy
Good call; I'm not at all religious—not in any way, shape or form—but I'm fascinated by religious iconography. . . Maybe the idea of an artist creating beautiful works as an outward expression of their deep spirtual beliefs has some odd appeal to a cynical old agnostic who will never have that sort of motivation. Religion is right up there with Love and Misery as a spark plug for the creative engine.

All around our house we have bits of religious art; a large acrylic and several small statues of Ganesha, as well as several other Hindu pieces, a large Virgin of Guadalupe print (I'm from Texas; Our Lady of Guadalupe, the patron saint of Mexico, is everywhere back home), several buddahs, a ceramic Sacred Heart, two repro Greek Orthodox icons, some Pagan work, a big gilt Star of David, and much more. I don't really believe in any of it, but the art is still gorgeous (and I could be wrong... ).
It sounds all "right" to me

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2007, 01:29 AM
Chicago

Hails from United States

Jettboy, you should visit this new post of mine if you want to expand your definition of what constitutes "religious" art.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightBrainMan
Jettboy, you should visit this new post of mine if you want to expand your definition of what constitutes "religious" art.

No such thing as 'iconography' in abstract work.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2007, 12:57 PM
A Local Legend
Johnstown, Pa.

Hails from United States

Hi!
It is a copywrite infringment is you do not have express permission of the artist.
However-if an artist is deceased 70 years---then it is not.

So those are the things you need to make note of. In the past I actually contacted the original artist by phone-that took care of that for me.

As for signing it-I am not sure...but I gave it to my daughter and signed it Mom

BTW-Lovely work!