WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Photography > Photo Equipment and Software
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2007, 12:06 AM
A Local Legend
South Australia

Hails from Australia
Question Downsizing large images

Hi there everyone

I have a beautiful D80 SLR digital camera with many photos taken on the “fine” setting. These of cause makes beautiful poster size images but alas having difficulty downsizing them smoothly. For example without jagged edges across diagonal ropes on boats.

Can any of you advice me how I should downsize my images; giving me a reasonable quality image once edited?

If it is of any help I do have PhotoShop and PaintShop software on my computer and a very willing learner.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2007, 03:26 AM
Enthusiast
New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
Re: Downsizing large images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Borgas
Hi there everyone

I have a beautiful D80 SLR digital camera with many photos taken on the “fine” setting. These of cause makes beautiful poster size images but alas having difficulty downsizing them smoothly. For example without jagged edges across diagonal ropes on boats.

Can any of you advice me how I should downsize my images; giving me a reasonable quality image once edited?

If it is of any help I do have PhotoShop and PaintShop software on my computer and a very willing learner.

I have a D80 too, (Aren't they lovely cameras? ) and have taken most of my pictures as fine jpegs.

I resize them all the time and don't seem to have any real image quality issues either in Photoshop or any other pp program. You may need to sharpen them up a little after down-size but the small size makes it harder to see detail.

I am wondering if your prints are coming out jagged or is it the screen image that looks jagged? Also if it's in the prints what size are you reducing them to before printing, and what resolution dpi are you printing them at?

A full size fine mode jpeg can print to roughly 13 in. x 20 in., without pixillation, you can go larger but start to loose detail after that size with a 3872 x 2592 D80 fine mode jpeg. For example a 5x7 requires 1600 x 1200 for a good "no loss" image.

The program Picture Project that came on your D80 software disc actually does a pretty decent job of basic PP, and you can resize in whole folder batches using the export option. You can also add comments etc. I have done a little testing with it for the NEF Raw options and also used it to give images to others in several sizes e.g. full size 3872 x 2592, 1024x768 PC screen, 600x800 small pc screen, etc.

Hope this helps
Iwata HP-A HL, HPSBS E, HPBC, HPBE, HPBC2, Paasche VL's, T&C V2000, Assorted Hairy Sticks. Golden, AquaFlow, Liquitex, W&N, Matisse, Comart, ETAC, PPG, HOK, Natural pigments suspended in various mediums etc...
Nikon D700, D80, Nikkors, 50mm 1.4, 1.8, 18-135mm DX, 70-300mm VR, Epson 24 & 44 inch large format printers, Wacom Intuos3.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2007, 05:44 AM
Enthusiast
Letchworth, Hertfordshire

Hails from England

Photoshop, in the menu find the option to change the image size. Ta dah! Change to whatever size you like. Then save as JPEG as a separate file so that you still have the original image at full size.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2007, 01:31 PM
A WC! Legend
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

In the resize window in PS select Bicubic in older versions and in CS onwards select Bicubic Sharper.
Bicubic gives smoother transitions between pixels during resizing. If Nearest Neighbour is selected you will end up with the "jaggies".
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2007, 06:14 PM
A Local Legend
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Thanks for replying everyone.

Te, the images I seem to have the most problems with are the ones that I zoom in on with my lens. I never even thought to try the camera software as I have always used PaintShop or PhotoShop. I will install it and give it and try some of the features out. The D80 Raw files when converted, wow does it give a beautiful reproduction of my paintings. Clear to the very corners with my larger landscapes.

Charlie, yes been there and done that although Wendy has pointed out what I should have been doing.

Wendy, the example image here is from your suggestion. Thanks so much as it now gives me a head start. Hopefully I will learn to get a charger picture but guessing there is only so much that can be done with the pixels once shrunk.

I find it a curious thing that PhotoShop files when saved are larger than PaintShop images. I am guessing it is to do with the quality of the save.

Anyway you help has been truly appreciated and my SnapShots blog will thank you for it as well
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2007, 06:25 PM
A WC! Legend
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

A couple of things Susan. Always make sure you keep an unaltered copy of your original files.
Yes once an image has been shrunk down there is no way of recovering the pixels.
Jpg compression could be why the file size is different, plus the amount of other data that is kept in the file by the programs too (megadata)
In Photoshop if you are putting your images up on a blog, it has a very neat "save for web" function this gives you a lot of control over the size of the image and the amount of compression and sharpness.
If you have Photoshop I cannot see any point in using the camera software when you have everything you need right there (personal point of view of course)

Last edited by Windy : 02-15-2007 at 06:27 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2007, 06:28 PM
A Local Legend
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Yes always kept my original.

The "save for web" is something I have never used before. Will play around with that one today as I do want to share good photos on the internet.

Many thanks, Cheers!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2007, 10:04 AM
State of Suspense

Hails from United States

One other point to consider - always do your resizing in one shot. Don't resize and then decide you want it bigger or smaller and resize again. Once you have figured out the size you want to reduce (or enlarge) to, always go from your original to that reduction in one step. Otherwise, you wind up introducing multiple pixel interpolations which do not help the image at all.

Ray
“It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.”- Alan Cohen
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2007, 04:22 PM
A WC! Legend
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldthumbs
One other point to consider - always do your resizing in one shot. Don't resize and then decide you want it bigger or smaller and resize again. Once you have figured out the size you want to reduce (or enlarge) to, always go from your original to that reduction in one step. Otherwise, you wind up introducing multiple pixel interpolations which do not help the image at all.

Ray

Good point Ray.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2007, 06:09 PM
A Local Legend
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Ray that is a good tip and one that I have always implemented.

Another is to do all the editing of the image before downsizing;for example making any adjustments or using filters with the photo. Would this be correct?
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2007, 06:25 PM
A WC! Legend
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

Absolutely, the only thing you do after downsizing is resharpen it!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2007, 07:24 PM
A Local Legend
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Thanks Wendy as I wasn't sure about that.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Immortalized
Denver, Colorado (finally!)

Hails from Australia

to ensure color accuracy though, use the 'save as' feature because not only does it not strip the color space information (colors are richer when using save as rather than save for web) but it also retains the exif information should someone want to look at how you shot the image.
20D | 30D | Sigma 12-24 EX | Sigma 24-60 2.8 EX | Canon 70-200 2.8L | Canon 580 EX II Speedlight with lumiquest mini softbox & Gary Fong lightsphere | Lensbaby 2.0 with macro kit | Holga | Lomo Actionsampler | Canon Rebel G | Canon Rebel 2000 | Canon Rebel S | Nikon FG & 50mm 1.4 for IR work | Seagull TLR | Canon Powershot S80 | Canon Powershot SD950IS. Some mine, some my business partners but we share so they are more ours
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2007, 08:04 PM
A WC! Legend
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

Lisa you can make sure the ICC profile is in the file but it would appear that it does take all the EXIF info out. This may be why it can make smaller files?
I tend to use the save-as feature anyway.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Immortalized
Denver, Colorado (finally!)

Hails from Australia

yeah, but it still doesn't display like it should when you save it.
20D | 30D | Sigma 12-24 EX | Sigma 24-60 2.8 EX | Canon 70-200 2.8L | Canon 580 EX II Speedlight with lumiquest mini softbox & Gary Fong lightsphere | Lensbaby 2.0 with macro kit | Holga | Lomo Actionsampler | Canon Rebel G | Canon Rebel 2000 | Canon Rebel S | Nikon FG & 50mm 1.4 for IR work | Seagull TLR | Canon Powershot S80 | Canon Powershot SD950IS. Some mine, some my business partners but we share so they are more ours