WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Student's Dorm
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2004, 04:46 PM

"Monart" art schools...?

Hi...
Does anyone out there have any experience or familiarity with Mona Brookes' "Monart" method? "Drawing with Children" is one of her titles, btw...

What do you feel about her approach? how has it worked or helped you?(as a beginning artist or otherwise)

What are the pros and cons of her method..?

Thanks for your help
Kvon
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2004, 09:06 PM

Re: "Monart" art schools...?

She got another book... Sorry don't recall the title.. Got it but mistake someplace the wrong cover on it at the library. Her method is very simple and easy to understand and does not limit creativity. Went over well with the kids that I watched and the parents love the out come.

I had one "disgraphic" child in group that it help in other ways. Not sure how to explain... Basicly it made things simpler than shapes so he can explain/express what he having problems with. Plus art isn't torture to him any more

Con
You need to keep everyone Attention when training (I work with ADD people, this can be a problem) Your lost if you miss something. The process is simple enough and short so it easy to recover anything missed.

Pro
It created for you to work along at your own pace/level once you know the method (basics). The outcome from all levels is wonderful.

Note: I never taught this in a classroom setting not sure how it would go over.

Highly recommened the book that I can't remember the title to, it was a great read.

Last edited by Ripples : 11-14-2004 at 09:08 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-20-2004, 05:57 PM
My Own Little World

Hails from Canada

Hey!
I used her book to teach myself how to draw and its a good method. The book is called "Drawing for Older Children and Teens" but ignore the title, its good for everyone. I highly recommend it because I learnt nearly everything i know from it and it gives a good foundation in the skills you need.

Visit my website at www.smlacyart.com
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2004, 07:58 PM

Hails from United States

I am very familiar with Monart and Mona Brookes.
I'd say her techniques are good for a smaller group of students (ten or less) and for beginners.
Most people find that the instructions get more limited for intermediate to advanced students. As a matter of fact, most of their certified Monart Studios are limited to lessons in pastels, water color and markers. Few teach things like charcoal and pencils.
If you are looking for a first, or even second step to learning how to draw. This would be a great program. Beyond this, you may want to look into something else.