WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2019, 09:03 AM

Oil, acrylic Techniques easily translated for gouache

Iíve been wanting to buy books on gouache Techniques, but there arenít many available that are exclusive to gouache. I was thinking I could get a book on another media, then adhere those techniques to gouache. I use watercolor and find that unless used watered down in a transparent method, gouache doesnít behave in any way like watercolor. I want to use it opaquely, so any book on watercolor isnít really going to benefit me.

So my question is what other painting media does gouache (not acrylic gouache) mostly resemble in regards to the way it handles. What other mediasí techniques are the easiest to translate over to gouache. Could I buy a book on say oil painting and just ďpretendĒ itís for gouache.

There is a book called Watermedia Painting with Stephen Quiller: The Complete Guide to Working in Watercolor, Acrylics, Gouache, and Casein
Does anybody know if the contents on gouache are of substance? Most times gouache is just a footnote, even in books which state itís name in the title.

Any advice would be most welcomed, thanks, Priscella
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2019, 11:07 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Oil, acrylic Techniques easily translated for gouache

Check out the work of Lena Rivo, she is also on Youtube.

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2019, 04:54 PM
Missouri

Hails from United States

James Gurney uses a lot of Casein and Gouache. He has a YouTube channel with many videos.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2019, 06:39 AM

Hails from United Kingdom

I have been doing exactly this with Hashim Akibís book on urban landscape. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Painting-Ur...SIN=1785002686

You have to always keep in mind that gouache reactivates so you have to be careful with water on subsequent layers, but I have been really enjoying playing with his demos and adapting to gouache.

One painting below from one of his demos.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2019, 08:38 AM
A Local Legend
Salt Lake City

A couple books that I have. I liked both Artists before I bought the books. They use gouache differently and I liked comparing them. I bought Ralph Parker's Book from his website. Moira Huntly's was purchased from Amazon. I have seen the Quiller Book and remember it as having little to do with gouache. Good Luck. Gary

Name:  IMG_3446.jpeg
Views: 121
Size:  111.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3447.jpeg
Views: 125
Size:  80.1 KB
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2019, 09:08 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will defiantly check out all the links. I do watch as many YouTube videos as I can find about gouache, but mostly they are very basic or speed paints, which look like paint was just slopped about and then a painting magically appears, without the artist narrating technique itís hard for me to grasp, perhaps itís just the way my brain works at learning.

So I understand every medium is a right in their own and no two will be exactly alike, but any 2cents on another paints techniques I can use for gouache. I hear that some oil painters use gouache for a lot of preliminary works, because of the similarities, but never having used oils, not sure how true this is and if this is a main consensus.